Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 23,794 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Maryland to either Green River or Rock Springs. While I have driven on I-80 , dewer dr and on the teton boulevard. I am undecided between the two cities, but green river appeals to me for some reason yet whenever i am there i have enjoyed my stay in rock springs. Rock Springs seems busy and green river seems more like a family enviroment.
About me: Just finished my masters in my mid 20s, single male and enjoy hiking.
I am asking for a general opinion. Any ideas and things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
You're in the heart of outdoor activity country.

Close to a major lake/recreation area for boating and fishing, hiking, camping, and so forth.

Of course, a lot of these activities are seasonal.

Have you been through the area in the winter months?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You're in the heart of outdoor activity country.

Close to a major lake/recreation area for boating and fishing, hiking, camping, and so forth.

Of course, a lot of these activities are seasonal.

Have you been through the area in the winter months?
Never been there during the winter but have been there at least three times in the last three months.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Green River is a prettier town but Rock Springs has more amenities (limited). It is good that you enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities. I have been in Rock Springs myself for the last three years. You really should come here in the winter before you decide to move though. It can get pretty cold and bleak. If you are not opposed to getting out in the winter you should enjoy the town though. I'm not sure your view on nightlife but the bars in Rock Springs are pretty trashy as are the people hanging out in them. Also be aware that the singles scene here is terrible for men. There are not many women and for a description of many of them in their 20s and 30s look at the bar description. As many people who have read my posts know, I will give you a very honest opinion of a place.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksosa View Post
Never been there during the winter but have been there at least three times in the last three months.
You really need to visit in the winter. It's cold and windy. Seriously cold and windy ... not just "breezy". It's a physically daunting proposition to be outside in these conditions unless you really can tolerate them and look forward to the challenge. Your outdoor activities during these times will be very limited.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,189 times
brother has watched the wind push a 4 wheeler across the ice whille ice fishing on Flaming Gorge

Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
brother has watched the wind push a 4 wheeler across the ice whille ice fishing on Flaming Gorge
Thank you all for the replies. I think I will try it. I am curious, how often does the power go out during the winter? Its happens sometimes even in maryland and the DC area in the winter.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
I've never had my power go out here in three years.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 24,537 times
Green River is more family oriented. When you really think about it, its like two suburbs that are just 9 miles apart. If you wanted to live in Green River and your job is in Rock Springs, you could do that. Most people that live in Green River WORK in Rock Springs. If you want a more honest opinion, email me directly.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 15,259 times
I moved out to WY about 3 years ago from Maryland myself (Greenbelt area), and to be honest with you, it's not entirely horrible if you're adaptable but it's not ideal either. You really need to be happy doing things by yourself because you'll find that a lot of the WY natives won't be nearly as welcoming once they realize that you're thinking of staying in Wyoming for more than about a month. Personally, I like Green River better because it's more community oriented and feels more inviting than Rock Springs. Be prepared for a lot of drunk, rowdy miners and drillers tossed into one place. Snow days are good for fights. The power doesn't get knocked out as much as in DC because there is less ice, but don't be surprised to wake up one morning and find the temperatures hovering around -30 after wind chill in the winter. Also, housing isn't that much cheaper here than the MD suburbs due to the oil boom. It can be a fun, rewarding experience though and the hiking is outstanding. Let me know if you ended up here, it'd be fun to catch up at Buddha Bob's or something with another MD native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming