Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 38,951 times

Advertisements

My husband will be having an interview for a job in Rock Springs. I have googled everything I can about the Rock Springs Junior High and High Schools. I am wondering if children are happy with the school district. My son is currently in the 7th grade.

It looks like rentals are very expensive there. Are there any areas I should consider living in over other areas in Rock Springs? I am from a small town (under 15,000 in Western New York State) and know there are less desirable areas here, so I assume it is the same there.

Also, are there any people who can tell me how their asthma is there? Mine is triggered by extreme cold, extreme hot and allergies. I have read the boards and see that it can get extremely cold there, but I hope it isn't for weeks on end without a break.

Would you say people are friendly there? My family is no means high-maintenance, but we do enjoy road trips, watching movies, playing softball and eating out.

How are the sports out there for 12 and 13 yr old boys? Is there baseball, basketball and football leagues that my son will be able to join?

I would love to hear anything you would like to tell me about your town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
What is your threshold for "extreme cold" temps?

October through February annually is likely to be below freezing air temps for most ... if not all ... of a day.

what you must factor with this is the perceived temp, "wind chill" due to the winds in the area. On a windy day, this will make the temps seem much colder than the still air temp for exposed skin.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theautotechswife View Post
My husband will be having an interview for a job in Rock Springs. I have googled everything I can about the Rock Springs Junior High and High Schools. I am wondering if children are happy with the school district. My son is currently in the 7th grade.

It looks like rentals are very expensive there. Are there any areas I should consider living in over other areas in Rock Springs? I am from a small town (under 15,000 in Western New York State) and know there are less desirable areas here, so I assume it is the same there.

Also, are there any people who can tell me how their asthma is there? Mine is triggered by extreme cold, extreme hot and allergies. I have read the boards and see that it can get extremely cold there, but I hope it isn't for weeks on end without a break.

Would you say people are friendly there? My family is no means high-maintenance, but we do enjoy road trips, watching movies, playing softball and eating out.

How are the sports out there for 12 and 13 yr old boys? Is there baseball, basketball and football leagues that my son will be able to join?

I would love to hear anything you would like to tell me about your town.
There really aren't any other areas to live in besides Rock Springs as the town is pretty isolated. Green River is the closest at about 15 miles and I don't think it's much cheaper. I'm not an asthmatic but we can get extreme cold (although we've been spoiled so far this winter) and it can last for weeks on end. People in Wyoming are some of the friendliest in the nation (I may be a bit biased. ). Interstate 80 runs by town and you are about 2.5 hours from Salt Lake. Jackson is about 3 hours north. There are baseball leagues and football and basketball is available with the school. There is a decent theater. As far as restaraunts the majority of them are Mexican or Chinese.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM

48 posts, read 80,041 times
i dont have much info to add but will be in rock springs the 18th, i have found some rentals that are pretty spendy, but there are some cheaper ones out there. as far as an area where housing looked "less desirable" would be north rock springs, more a cross between industrial and houses.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM

400 posts, read 949,887 times
I live in Rock Springs, sports here are very competitive. There will be plenty for them to get involved in. They start them out young here! But it gives kids something to do also. Rentals are expensive and I don't know of any way around it. They are a little cheaper in Green River but what you will spend in gas going to Rock Springs for shopping offsets the cost so it doesn't save you anything. Green River is more of a bedroom community, there are more lds in GR than RS or at least their influence is felt more which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
We lived in GR for a year when we first moved here and I like it but I didn't like driving to RS all the time nor did I like the time I had to sit on the interstate for two hours waiting for them to clear a wreck. The road gets slick between the two towns for some reason, I'm sure it has to do with terrain.
Feel free to message me if you need any help with anything.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM

400 posts, read 949,887 times
Its my understanding that people do better with asthma here because we have a drier climate, I think that makes the cold affect it differently also.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM

7 posts, read 38,951 times
I am sincerely hoping my husband gets the job out there! It will be wonderful if my son had plenty of sports to play. We have had a really mild winter here too, I keep hoping for more mild winters where it isn't bone chilling cold.

We are looking for rentals in Rock Springs. I was wondering if there are any more dangerous neighborhoods that we should stay away from. Even in my little town, there are less desirable areas.

Another question, how is the hospital there? Are people happy with the medical care they can receive?

It looks like there is plenty to do to keep busy, even if the weather is extremely cold. Thanks for everyone who has answered so far and helped me understand a bit more of Wyoming life.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
My brother is a special ed teacher and the head high school boys' basketball coach in Rock Springs. As said before, sports are competitive and the community rallies around the sports teams. From what I hear the high school is good, although (as anywhere) there are some groups of kids who are in the "wrong" crowd, so the town certainly isn't immune from undesireable teen behaviors. There seems to be a lot to do for kids. My sister-in-law works at an intermediate school there and absolutely loves it. Rock Springs has a small mall, but at least there is some shopping there. My brother & his wife do go to SLC on occasion for specific shopping or just a weekend getaway. As with any move, my opinion is that a person needs to go with a good attitude. If you hear negative things then you can't dwell on them....you have to go with the positive and be determined that you will like it and that you will do what you can to involve your family in activities, etc. I don't mind Rock Springs. Sure, it has been known as a "blue collar/dirty/transient" etc., type town in the past, but my thought is that the people there have made it what it is....a nice town to raise a family for those who institute good family/moral values in their children. Best wishes to you should you make the move!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 AM

83 posts, read 238,501 times
Good post.... you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I haven't moved much over my life but I did make one move with less than a positive attitude and open mind and, sure enough, within a year I was looking for a move.

Rock Springs has come a long way from it's nickname of "Sin City" in the 70's. They have since caught up with the growth and the town has cleaned up in every sense of the word.

Good luck with the job/move

Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM

48 posts, read 80,041 times
When I was visiting there, my new boss was telling me that he and his wife go to salt lake city a lot for weekend shopping. RS is pretty centrally located, 6hrs to moab, 5hrs to rushmore, 2hrs to yellowstone, 2hrs to SLC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming