Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
With all due respect, I have to disagree regarding Cody and tourist traffic. We live in Cody and it is my favorite place to live or everywhere I've been (although only in Wyoming and Montana). The traffic might be more "congested" than what a town of the size of Cody is used to for only a couple of months in the summer, but by no means is the traffic a problem! There is more traffic on a daily basis all year round in Riverton. My friend recently moved from here to Riverton and the thing she noticed the most is all the traffic there! Every little community close by shops in Riverton. Don't let anyone tell you that Cody traffic is problematic!
Easy now. You know how some folks are, they have to have absolutely clear roads because they are the only people that need to go anywhere.

Case in point. Today I had to haul some "Reject". It's a coarse sand made from shale. Old dump truck, about 1963 vintage, but as long as it runs and the tires hold air, she's prime. I got ready to pull out of the quarry and I checked the HIGHWAY in both directions. In that spot you can see for over a mile in either direction. I had just over 29,000 on the truck, so she was a little slow getting her skirt gathered and heels clicking. However, I was up in about 9th gear (only have 10 of them), doing 50-55, and this car comes screaming up to my back end, I actually thought the little guy was going to hit me. Honk honk honk. I'm looking down the 2 lane road and there are no curves, no hills and where I am at then, you can see for over a mile. Nothing coming, and I'm riding the white line on the right, so I know he can see. This little guy blew his horn for 30 seconds or so and then whipped over into the other lane and screamed on by me. I figured it had to be a license plate from Ca, or NY. Nope. Local plate. That is honestly the first horn I have heard in a couple years. Hell, my horn quit back about 2000 and having not really needed it, I haven't fixed it. Evidentally, the little guy had places to go and people to see. This was on the old road between Sheridan and Ranchester. He was headed for Ranchester. I live there, and trust me, there was nothing in Ranchester worth blowing a horn for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM

185 posts, read 461,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Easy now. You know how some folks are, they have to have absolutely clear roads because they are the only people that need to go anywhere.

Case in point. Today I had to haul some "Reject". It's a coarse sand made from shale. Old dump truck, about 1963 vintage, but as long as it runs and the tires hold air, she's prime. I got ready to pull out of the quarry and I checked the HIGHWAY in both directions. In that spot you can see for over a mile in either direction. I had just over 29,000 on the truck, so she was a little slow getting her skirt gathered and heels clicking. However, I was up in about 9th gear (only have 10 of them), doing 50-55, and this car comes screaming up to my back end, I actually thought the little guy was going to hit me. Honk honk honk. I'm looking down the 2 lane road and there are no curves, no hills and where I am at then, you can see for over a mile. Nothing coming, and I'm riding the white line on the right, so I know he can see. This little guy blew his horn for 30 seconds or so and then whipped over into the other lane and screamed on by me. I figured it had to be a license plate from Ca, or NY. Nope. Local plate. That is honestly the first horn I have heard in a couple years. Hell, my horn quit back about 2000 and having not really needed it, I haven't fixed it. Evidently, the little guy had places to go and people to see. This was on the old road between Sheridan and Ranchester. He was headed for Ranchester. I live there, and trust me, there was nothing in Ranchester worth blowing a horn for.
Even only having been on your highways in big Wyo once in my life thus far, hearing this perplexes me! Why can't people just use their noggins!?

Just one incident in years though sounds pretty nice... driving around Iowa City and Coralville is dangerous, not Cali dangerous (been there, done that, never again...6 lanes no brains) but scary still, I feel like I narrowly escape death at least twice a week, maybe not death but a horrible accident.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Case in point. Today I had to haul some "Reject". It's a coarse sand made from shale....
That's a funny story. Thanks for making my day. I can go to sleep now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming