Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 PM

308 posts, read 1,469,323 times

Advertisements

Will it be too cold? How about the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM

28 posts, read 52,809 times
I've been doing a lot of research as well, from what I've come to the conclusion most of the park shuts down by mid October (hotels, food, and a few roads) so if your looking for those places don't get your hopes up. As for the weather it is cold in October, I just recently looked at the weather for Yellowstone last week and it was down to 32 at night time....a big difference from here at home. Snow fall happens pretty frequently in October as well from what I've read, just make sure you have four wheel driver and you should be fine....

Personally I was going to go in October, after finding out about the lodges being close im going in September.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,187,503 times
I've heard it's beautiful and much more relaxed without so many visitors. Probably the fires will be out by then.

It's cold at night, then warm during the day. Hopefully there will be some snow - the Sierra is awesome with a dusting of snow - but they'll keep the roads plowed.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,001,422 times
The nights will definitely get cold, as they do year round. There may be snow or there may be good weather. Check the weather reports before you go, but I would recommend going. Less tourists, fall foliage, and the elk are in rut. Depending on when you go in October you might hear them bugling.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM

I read a lot on internet these days, but seldom people talk about going there in October. I checked the typical temperature in October, and it does sound very cold for that time of a year, and besides, most of the facilities will be closed by then.

So you are not going in October?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksim89 View Post
I've been doing a lot of research as well, from what I've come to the conclusion most of the park shuts down by mid October (hotels, food, and a few roads) so if your looking for those places don't get your hopes up. As for the weather it is cold in October, I just recently looked at the weather for Yellowstone last week and it was down to 32 at night time....a big difference from here at home. Snow fall happens pretty frequently in October as well from what I've read, just make sure you have four wheel driver and you should be fine....

Personally I was going to go in October, after finding out about the lodges being close im going in September.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 PM

So when there is snow, the roads will be plowed right away? I heard in October snowstorm can happen any time, which makes it very dangerous for driving, especially I heard weather in yellowstone is very different this year, it gets a lot of rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've heard it's beautiful and much more relaxed without so many visitors. Probably the fires will be out by then.

It's cold at night, then warm during the day. Hopefully there will be some snow - the Sierra is awesome with a dusting of snow - but they'll keep the roads plowed.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM

Right, less tourists, fall foliage, and more chances to encounter the animals.... these are the reasons keeping me trying to find it out if I can go or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The nights will definitely get cold, as they do year round. There may be snow or there may be good weather. Check the weather reports before you go, but I would recommend going. Less tourists, fall foliage, and the elk are in rut. Depending on when you go in October you might hear them bugling.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,270,741 times
October weather is very unpredictable in Yellowstone. Nights will be chilly to cold, that I can guarantee. Generally, October is my favorite month for Wyoming. Days can be wonderful -- cool (60s-70s) and sunny. I particularly liked it when I had a plane and did a lot of flying, because the air would normally be smooth and visibility severe clear.

But big snow storms are also possible any time during the month. Each side of the Park has a gate, so I don't think you'd have to worry about being stranded there for the winter, but if a big storm came in you could get stranded for a couple days or leave in the wrong direction -- not likely, but I imagine it's possible.

I imagine you have this link: Operating Hours & Seasons - Yellowstone National Park That will keep you up to date on conditions.

I don't know that weather has been "very different" this year. Precip has been slightly above average for the year, and in recent years it's been slightly below average.

It's just impossible to say what the weather will be, so I won't make a recommendation one way or the other. I would NOT recommend visiting after October 15. I think the park kind of considers that the end of the season and pulls the snow plows off most of the roads. I've been there as late as the first week of October a few times. I've seen a few snow flakes and had to winterize my camper for travel due to temps in the 20s, but I've never had an unpleasant trip. I also don't have to travel that far to get there, so the gamble is pretty low for me.

Worst case scenario, you'd probably spend some cold days sight-seeing and maybe a day or two sitting in a lodge watching the snow fall. (Doesn't sound too terribly bad to me.)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,187,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
So when there is snow, the roads will be plowed right away? I heard in October snowstorm can happen any time, which makes it very dangerous for driving, especially I heard weather in yellowstone is very different this year, it gets a lot of rain.
Dunno why, but I was thinking of Yosemite, where it is still quite Smokey. That would be a poor choice!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM

6,268 posts, read 5,086,326 times
Taken on one very long day trip - through the East Gate and out through Cooke City on November 8 last year. Go whenever you can get there because it is a stunning place any time of year.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming