Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Californication of Wyoming imminent
YES 14 25.45%
NO 41 74.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
It's not just to "pretty areas" either.

Californians whom could easily work out of state, and choose to do so, tend to get "land happy" that they can easily purchase 1,000+ acre ranches for under 2 million bucks. And just go NUTS

They are just beside themselves that they can go from living in a small subdivision with no view, houses touching each other, etc. And live in the open land.
I know a guy who sold his house in California for around $900K and then bought a 2,000 acre ranch in Northern Arizona for like 1.2 or 1.something million dollars.
Flies to the Bay Area for work but lives in AZ most of the year. Similar mild climate too.
And he's a liberal so he'll be helping make AZ blue in 2016
HahahaHahaha!!
I hadn't thought about that, although I'm sure the winds keep a mass exodus from happening. Most of the Californians I knew in Casper were there to escape the high cost of living and just wanted a decent house and decent town to raise their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
I hope not. I've been moving from one western state to another. Tired of all the libs following me. Ruining a good way of life. Trying to tell me THEY know what is good for me if I would listen.
Scott

Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
Nooooooooo woooooonder when I visited Wyoming last year everyone around me that over heard me gave me a dirty look and rolled their eyes when I replied that I was from Southern California.

-Cheers.

PS I'm a poor libertarian. Not everyone in CA is rich and or liberal.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 AM

83 posts, read 279,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
It's already DONE. Whatever Wyoming WAS is now GONE. It is still the 'least populated' state, but there's more and more people moving here every day, and they bring with them everything that they mistakingly thought they left behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Nooooooooo woooooonder when I visited Wyoming last year everyone around me that over heard me gave me a dirty look and rolled their eyes when I replied that I was from Southern California.

-Cheers.

PS I'm a poor libertarian. Not everyone in CA is rich and or liberal.
That was quite rude gor them to do that. Such tribalism. We need unity!!

I am a Cali Liberal living in Wyoming. One day you will be mine! One day you will be blue!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
One of the biggest saving grace's for WY and MT is the weather.
Having lived in Helena, MT for fourteen years, leaving in 2008 I saw first hand the cold destroying the dreams of many from CA.

Many areas of Western WY and Western MT have been populated by those with substantial wealth for years but for many in this income strata, WY and MT are part time locations to hang one's hat., IE (trophy homes)

The reality of seeing below zero temperatures in these two states for a hefty amount of time per winter season is very much a blessing when it comes to those moving in from warmer coastal cities on the west coast.

If the winters in WY and MT were to be historically warmer than what they are you would see the populations of these two states notably higher than what they currently are.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM

293 posts, read 563,855 times
I'm not sure where this perception comes from. It's not like there are droves of democrats just chomping at the bit to come out here and spread our Kool-Aid around to everybody we see. Too bad people don't wear badges that state their political affiliation so that I could immediately judge them before getting to know them and have them trick me by being friendly and hospitable

Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM

147 posts, read 280,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
I'm not sure where this perception comes from. It's not like there are droves of democrats just chomping at the bit to come out here and spread our Kool-Aid around to everybody we see. Too bad people don't wear badges that state their political affiliation so that I could immediately judge them before getting to know them and have them trick me by being friendly and hospitable
So you judge people after you get to know them.

j/k

Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I certainly don't 'judge' anyone; certainly not on where they come from, skin-color, religious/non-religious or political-affiliation, sexual-preference, gender, etc, etc, etc...

...we either get-along, or we don't. Some individuals just have a 'gift' for agitating me, or pushing all the wrong-buttons...

I've met good lib's (liberals) and bad lib's, same thing with Conservatives and Libertarians.

But I WILL say that there is a common-thread among MOST Kalifornian's whom I've met, which never fails to get under my fingernails...

...it's this 'aura' they have about themselves, where they roll their eyes and I can just HEAR them thinking "Ohhhh...YOU don't know suffering until you've been saddled with SUCH high-tax rates, such as we had back in so-and-so, where we moved from; so just go back into your corner 'little-person', and I will call on you when you are needed..."

Yes...THAT holier-than-thou 'elitist' attitude; it's very tedious.

Even more humorous is listening to the 'Commonweath Club of California' (on N.P.R. radio station, on weekends) where these 'elite-effetes' gather together to 'discuss' the management of just about everything from the world-climate, economic-growth in 3rd-world countries, to wild-horse/grizzly/sage-grouse & wolf populations, the proliferation of nuclear-weapons in Iran, etc, etc...and clearly they believe THEY could manage it all with the apparent effortlessness of GODS.

The amount of 'hubris' emanating from those people amazes me to no end.

To those types of people, I have only this to say: Money does NOT necessarily equal 'Power' if the growing number of 'unwashed-masses' and uneducated 'riff-raff' out here neither know or RESPECT you.

Respect is EARNED...not 'Bestowed'.

But seriously; I love seeing them move here; as someone said earlier on, Wyoming is a GREAT place to spend your fortunes; she'll soak it all up and when all is said and done, in a hundred years no-one will even know you (and your progeny) were ever even here.

'From Dust you came, and to DUST you shall return'.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 PM

83 posts, read 279,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I certainly don't 'judge' anyone; certainly not on where they come from, skin-color, religious/non-religious or political-affiliation, sexual-preference, gender, etc, etc, etc...

...we either get-along, or we don't. Some individuals just have a 'gift' for agitating me, or pushing all the wrong-buttons...

I've met good lib's (liberals) and bad lib's, same thing with Conservatives and Libertarians.

But I WILL say that there is a common-thread among MOST Kalifornian's whom I've met, which never fails to get under my fingernails...

...it's this 'aura' they have about themselves, where they roll their eyes and I can just HEAR them thinking "Ohhhh...YOU don't know suffering until you've been saddled with SUCH high-tax rates, such as we had back in so-and-so, where we moved from; so just go back into your corner 'little-person', and I will call on you when you are needed..."

Yes...THAT holier-than-thou 'elitist' attitude; it's very tedious.

Even more humorous is listening to the 'Commonweath Club of California' (on N.P.R. radio station, on weekends) where these 'elite-effetes' gather together to 'discuss' the management of just about everything from the world-climate, economic-growth in 3rd-world countries, to wild-horse/grizzly/sage-grouse & wolf populations, the proliferation of nuclear-weapons in Iran, etc, etc...and clearly they believe THEY could manage it all with the apparent effortlessness of GODS.

The amount of 'hubris' emanating from those people amazes me to no end.

To those types of people, I have only this to say: Money does NOT necessarily equal 'Power' if the growing number of 'unwashed-masses' and uneducated 'riff-raff' out here neither know or RESPECT you.

Respect is EARNED...not 'Bestowed'.

But seriously; I love seeing them move here; as someone said earlier on, Wyoming is a GREAT place to spend your fortunes; she'll soak it all up and when all is said and done, in a hundred years no-one will even know you (and your progeny) were ever even here.

'From Dust you came, and to DUST you shall return'.

Places like North Carolina, Virginia, New England has similar problems with wealthy New Yorkers and D.C. types.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
Places like North Carolina, Virginia, New England has similar problems with wealthy New Yorkers and D.C. types.
I couldn't offer any official statistics, but I've heard (and seen for myself) that such Northeastern types, never mind Californians and other migrants from the West Coast, have been slowly creeping into the inter-mountain states as well. I've been surprised by the number of New Yorkers, Jerseyites and, strangely, D.C./Marylanders who have transplanted to the Western areas of MT, that's for sure. I suspect Northeastern WY may be seeing some of that themselves...

As for Montana swinging for the blue team in terms of presidential races (Democrats already hold the vast majority of statewide-elected offices), I'm not sure if or when that'll happen. We may need a few more transplants yet, because despite the successes of the Bushes and Bob Dole, Montana has just sort of been teetering since 1988--Michael Dukakis only lost to Daddy Bush by four percentage points; Bill Clinton won a plurality of the popular vote in 1992 and narrowly lost to Dole's plurality in 1996; John McCain only carried the state by two percentage points in 2008; and then, in 2012, just weeks before the election, Obama was looking at grabbing a solid 45% to Romney's 55% (the final results indicated Romney with 55%, Obama with 41% and Johnson with 4%). I think the Bush years were a little exceptional.

Now in the case of Wyoming, I do think you guys are a bit safer--that's a state which, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been very friendly territory for Democrats in some time now (although you guys apparently had kind of a soft-spot for Dave Freudenthal--maybe you still do?), and I think it would take some rather profound demographical changes to make them viable again.

But on that note, I hope you guys don't get too confident in the status-quo maintaining itself in the long-term. Colorado isn't that far away, after all...

EDIT NOTE: I was sorta jumbling this thread together with a similar one I posted on a few days ago...sorry to ramble on about if or when red states will turn blue (or purple, really), but I hope the relevance is clear.

Last edited by Montguy; 11-24-2013 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming