Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times

Advertisements

you can always hide everything, a couple years ago a cow hide and head were found up a canyon above town , the brand had been cut out of the hide ... but the bangs tag was still in the ear and traced right back to the owner. Yeah she been butchered some where else and they only got tire tracks at the hide, but at least the owner knew why is count was low. A few body parts washed up in a rocky meandering creek bank here a few years ago, case never solved , thinking was the body came from a few hundred miles away and had been buried in the rocks of the creek a few months earlier. Almost bet this body is somebody a couple hundred if not more miles away .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
Scott, you took the words out of my husband's mouth. As an ex-LE officer, he said it sounded drug related to him......either a deal gone bad & someone was REALLY mad, or someone so strung out on drugs that they performed not only a murder, but the unspeakable mutilation of the body. As the Sheriff here said, it is obvious that the killer did not want the victim to be identified, so that tells you something. I feel so bad for the hunter and his son who found this gruesome scene. I told my husband "I wonder where the head & arm are" and he said they could be anywhere....most likely in a dumpster somewhere, thrown in the lake, etc. But if the killer(s) was crazy enough to take body parts they could be crazy enough to have stashed them somewhere, too. It sounds like a really bad horror film, and it is (although not shocking as stuff is happening all over the country) disheartening to know it happened so close to our home. As reports have stated, this is most likely not a random act, but one in where the killer and victim knew each other, or perhaps the victim had been picked up somewhere by the killer. Sounds like the only missing adult male anywhere close who may fit some of the description available is a Native American from Montana, but your guess is as good as mine as to where the victim actually came from. There was a lot of blood at the scene, but they are not sure whether the act took place there or if the body was dumped. There was no animal activity so the mutilation of the body was purposefully done by a human. I am anxious to hear what the autopsy says, although I don't think we will get much info as the sheriff had estimated the body had been dead for a couple of days. There is more and more crime taking place everywhere and don't think the fact that last year's murders and this one being in close proximity to each other are an indicator of the Clark area being crime-laden. I think it was just a coincidence. Last year's murders' motives were very clear and it just so happened that the people involved lived in Clark. This one is something that could have taken place along any rural road....Wyoming or elsewhere. That being said, it is my personal opinion (and as the sheriff said)that people should just be aware of their surroundings; however, they shouldn't feel alarmed about the very sick crimes that have taken place lately, as far as being afraid goes. You just never know when or where crazy things are going to happen....but we can't sit around worrying that something might happen to us. Life has to go on as usual.
Yes georgisninwyo. We cannot just worry that something might happen. Have keep going but be more Vigilant in our surrounding now days anywhere you live. I went on-line at the Cody Enterprise tonight, but did not see any update. So I assume the Investigation is still on-going.
Scott

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Yes georgisninwyo. We cannot just worry that something might happen. Have keep going but be more Vigilant in our surrounding now days anywhere you live. I went on-line at the Cody Enterprise tonight, but did not see any update. So I assume the Investigation is still on-going.
Scott
I believe the investigation will be ongoing for quite awhile. The autopsy was finished and the report was that the victim was a younger man about 5'5" tall, 180 or so pounds, either light skinned Mexican or Caucasian. Time of death was most likely 2 days before the body was found (found last Thurs., so on Tues.). With the exception of the indicator of the possible race and size of the man, there really wasn't any new information. Photos of his belt buckle have been circulating, so hopefully that will help identify who he was, at least. Something like this hitting so close to home makes us realize that there are many crimes that happen all over the country every single day that we never hear about. It is really sad that people can do such horrible things to fellow human beings.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Maybe NOT so much...because things are obviously changing, due to the increased urban-sprawl
and 'new-money' pouring in and setting up house and home lately:

'Headless' homicide investigated near Clark - Cody Enterprise: Home

I know that some 'perky' uber-wealthy 'Wyo-Burbinite' with too much time on their hands, will likely spout off some crime-rate statistics to shoot me down here, but this happening so soon after last yr's break-in
robbery and double-homicide in the same general vicinity...well it just about speaks for itself.

I guess what I'm saying here is: Don't think you're 'getting away' from the craziness of the outside-world just by relocating to Wyoming.

The insanity is EVERYWHERE now.

Hopefully our law-enforcement and judicial-system will wrap this one up quickly and efficiently...

...you couldn't PAY me to take on this kind of homicide-investigation...and prayers to the parents and family of the victim...
You deserve to be shot down here Ltdumbear. It is absurd to point to one murder and conclude that Wyoming is no longer safe. Wyoming has always had its share of murders and has a violent past, but it is still far safer today than most other places in the US.

I find it extremely offensive that right out of the gate you try to define anyone who disagrees with you as a " 'perky' uber-wealthy 'Wyo-Burbinite' with too much time on their hands, will likely spout off some crime-rate statistics to shoot me down here, ".

It tells me that you recognize, even if you don't want to admit it, that your conclusion that Wyoming is now unsafe and that "The insanity is EVERYWHERE now." is a bunch of crap.

I recall back in 1968-69 when two young girls disappeared in Lander, Wyoming, around the time I was graduating from High School. A year later their bodies were found buried in a barrow ditch along side a dirt road a few miles from town, with multilple stab wounds in their bodies. "Everyone was horrified, how could this happen here, it must have been someone from out of town, a hippy hitch-hiking through more then likely!!!" It was eventually found that one young man, the son of a relatively wealthy family there with a long history, who owned one of the larger construction companies in the state, had murdered them, probably in a fit of violent rage because they would not have sex with him.

Oh NO, the community gasped !!! The murderer was not only one of our own, he was from one of the most prominent and respected families in the community!

Insanity and irrational behavior has always existed in the human race, and Wyoming is no exception to that. REGARDLESS, Wyoming has far less violence these days than most other populated places.

Yes, here come those statistics you tried to denigrate and hate so much! Probably because you don't understand them.

Darker colors show states with higher crime rates. Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

States and cities with larger populations have higher crime rates, probably because people are forced to live closer together. Closer together, equals more interactions with other people, more friction between people, the likely hood of more hostile encounters.

It only stands to reason that states with lower populations will always have lower crime rates. Wyoming will always have lower crime rates as long as it remains sparsely populated.

More importantly, your chances of being murdered have more to do with who you associate with than where you live. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

78% of murders were committed by people who knew each other!

Quote:
TABLE 8 page 16
Victim/offender relationship, 1980–2008
Percent of homicides with known victim/offender relationship

Stranger 21.9%
Nonstranger 78.1%
-----Spouse 10.0%
-----Other family 12.4
-----Boyfriend/girlfriend 6.3
-----Other acquaintance 49.4
Be careful who you associate with!

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-20-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I really like Cptn Ron's latest post. Good statistics and well articulated.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
+1

When you live in an area where murders occur every week, they tend to not be reported in the media, unless quite horrific. When they occur in an area where they are about as common as a native resident admitting that they saw a jackalope, it gets a lot of coverage and interest.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Fascinating thread. Here's why:

In 1981, I completed my internship at the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office... that's in Chicago. For six months, I did three death scenes per day. At least one of them was always a homicide; sometimes all three were. The study year for my thesis (1980), there were something like 867 homicides in Chicago (my memory wanes). There were 5 million people in Chicago that year, give or take, and one very powerful Mafia family. There were numerous street gangs, but most of our business came from the Latin Disciples, the Kings and the Black P Stone Nation. Crack hadn't even been invented yet. I learned early how cruel humans could be to each other.

Flash forward 34 years and numerous more death scenes all over the world. Now quietly ensconced in Wyoming, with all of its 583,000 people, give or take, and its two homicides so far this year. (Johnson County had a pizza delivery guy killed on Monday; two out of state travelers are already in custody for it.) And to this thread.

The very first replies to the OP from our Wyoming residents had a sentiment, which continued throughout the thread, of heartfelt feelings for the victim's next of kin. Those were followed by hope that our law enforcement community could solve the crime quickly. Nowhere else in the world have I seen that kind of sentiment as the universal community response to the tragedy of a homicide.

That is what makes Wyoming different. Yes, fewer people, but they are nicer people. And they raise their children the same way. Respect for others and offers of sympathy (not retaliation) when appropriate. To me, that's a big part of what makes Wyoming safer.

We'd rather be here than anywhere else...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quick correction: The pizza delivery lad was killed in Indiana, but Johnson County deputies arrested the two suspects here while they were fleeing to Montana. So I guess we're still at one homicide this year.

I apologize for the mistake...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I also expressed high-hopes (in my orig posting) that the homicide would be solved, and any/all family members would be able to find closure.

But my orig intent behind the post still stands; smaller population does not necessarily = less crime, or less INTENSITY of the violence involved in said-crime.

Case in point, as irony would have it, I happen to be bunked in the very same motel where one of the three escaped AZ convicts was caught, a few yrs back. There was no 'violence' involved in the capture and apprehension of that suspect, but still...the potential for it was certainly very real, given his past history.

Wyoming has always had a way of 'attracting' the occasional bad-seed, my guess is that this is supposedly a good place to get away with most anything and remain anonymous...

...and statistics DO prove that the trend is getting worse.

Cody is NOT the same comfy little 'burbish' enclave that it once was; I have watched the changes since I first arrived in April 93' and it breaks my heart. Not that I ever cared much for Casper or Riverton (ditto for Cheyenne) but it is definitely getting worse in those towns as well, and Billings is obviously mutating into a miniature carbon-copy of Rapid-City/Denver, as far as the rising crime-rate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's inherently dangerous for one to bring their families to this region to relocate...I'm just saying that if you're looking for the modern-day 'Norman-Rockwell Experience'...it doesn't exist anymore. Before long, you WILL either be thinking about investing in a home security-system, you WILL want to lock your vehicles doors at work and/or even in your own driveway...and my guess is that you will eventually want to even sit-in on your local community meetings to voice your concerns in open-public, once it becomes clear to you that the local police CANNOT be everywhere at once.

The proliferation of (legal) marijuana sales in Colorado and Washington State is pushing Montana lawmakers into considering similar statutes; once that occurs...it's a no-brainer that Wyoming will have to follow suit with the knowledge that we are nothing if not a 'highway' for the trafficking of that particular drug, along with several others.

It won't stop there, nor will the violence and wanton-destruction associated with said-drugs.

Metro-Suburbia (and ALL that it entails, good AND bad) is EVERYWHERE now.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
And just like clockwork, as if to prove my last posting...not but ONE MINUTE after I pushed 'Post Quick Reply'
the Cody Enterprise JUST NOW posted on their Facebook page:

EDITORIAL: Trend of local violence hard to ignore, refute - Cody Enterprise: Opinion

Seriously...you can't make this stuff up; but hey...let the article speak for itself...

...I'm just a lowly, out-of-work (displaced) ranch-worker...

What do I know ?

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming