Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times

Advertisements

I am currently faced with an unavoidable economic decline in my current state of Alabama. I need to find a fast track that leads to financial freedom and all arrows are pointing to Gillette. I have a Class B CDL and a clean driving record for a little over 9 years. My son will be turning 17 in May and we need detailed information on the high school. We both looked at Gillette's demographic web page, but did not see anything relating to his interest in the Air Force. He is a member of Civil Air Patrol, and also heavily involved in the JROTC program in his current high school. As the mother of a child who does not want to move to Gillette eek:, I naturally want to help as much as I can to keep his dreams alive. Any detailed info on JROTC Programs or Civil Air Patrol in Gillette that I can relay to my son will help me keep him in a positive motivating mindset. As well as employment for the both of us. Thanks Sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Powder River CAP is active in Gillette, has monthly meetings. You can google them and get their contact info and activity schedule.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Yeah, youngsters his age do NOT want to move to a new school across the country. My sister did it her last semester in high school. It didn't hurt her, and after a few weeks I think she was fine with it. She ended up with life-long friends from both schools. And if he's looking at a career in the Air Force, he may as well get used to moving, because he'll be doing a lot of it, usually every 2-3 years or less!

I'm not aware of JROTC programs at Campbell County High School, but if I were you I'd give the school a call and ask. It looks like Natrona County High in Casper offers JROTC. The last I knew (and this is old info), the Powder River CAP had a Cessna for its members, I think it was a 182. If your son is interested in general aviation, there's also an active Experimental Aircraft Assoc. (EAA) chapter in Gillette. It's not really intended for adolescents, but I'm sure he'd be more than welcome. (I was very active in the chapter for several years.)

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
This is a little off track from your questions about your son's interests, but I can attest that Gillette schools are exceptionally good. I worked for the district for 3 years. The district is growing by leaps and bounds but is doing well to keep up with trends and programs in education. There has been talk for awhile about building a second high school, but that won't happen before your son graduates. Another junior high has to be established first. Besides his interest in the Air Force, he may be interested in many other activities that are offered for youth in Gillette. Outside of school, Gillette has the nicest, state of the art rec center anywhere for miles & miles around. It has a wonderful "mini water park" within it, a climbing wall that is a replica of Devil's Tower monument, and many other amenities. As for your economic advantages, keep in mind that although the pay in Gillette is very good, so is the cost of living. Rent is high there. We still own our home there and get $1600/month. Buying is usually the better option if a person plans on staying there and if they qualify. Best wishes to you and your son!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM

40 posts, read 71,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
This is a little off track from your questions about your son's interests, but I can attest that Gillette schools are exceptionally good. I worked for the district for 3 years. The district is growing by leaps and bounds but is doing well to keep up with trends and programs in education. There has been talk for awhile about building a second high school, but that won't happen before your son graduates. Another junior high has to be established first. Besides his interest in the Air Force, he may be interested in many other activities that are offered for youth in Gillette. Outside of school, Gillette has the nicest, state of the art rec center anywhere for miles & miles around. It has a wonderful "mini water park" within it, a climbing wall that is a replica of Devil's Tower monument, and many other amenities. As for your economic advantages, keep in mind that although the pay in Gillette is very good, so is the cost of living. Rent is high there. We still own our home there and get $1600/month. Buying is usually the better option if a person plans on staying there and if they qualify. Best wishes to you and your son!
I agree with Georgianwyo, if you have good credit, then buy or build. There are over 400 properties currently on the market in Gillette so it's a buyer's market somewhat right now and with interest rates as low as they are right now, it may make more economic sense to buy rather than rent if you plan to stay for several years.

I don't know about there being an ROTC program. I agree, you should call the schools and ask.

On a good note, once he's in the airforce, maybe he could get placed at Elsworth Airforce base in Rapid City, SD (2 1/2 hours from Gillette) or in Cheyenne, WY.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
A couple of things. I think that Gillette would be an excellent fit. There are always local driving jobs and over the road jobs available in the Gillette area. The field is wide open as CDL's are needed in that area.

Sorry, I know nothing about the schools as far as ROTC is concerned, but the schools are excellent anywhere you go in Wyoming. Schools are well funded and teachers get a decent wage. Those two things make for an outstanding atmosphere in the schools.

As far as your son going into the Air Force, if he wants to be stationed in Rapid City at Ellsworth, or over in Cheyenne at Warren, he needs to do some research on Air Force job classification. By that, I mean he needs to find out what Rates work at those bases. Not every rate works on those bases. Say he trains to do a particular job and too late, he finds that that field is not at those bases. Ellsworth is a Bomber base and Warren is a Missile Support base. Of course, there are some Rates that can work on any base, like a clerk position.

Having lived down by Ellsworth for many years and knowing several airman, it was kind of funny. You didn't ask for Ellsworth, you got sentenced to it. hahaha In the Air Force, NOBODY wanted Ellsworth, simply because of the weather. There were so many other bases to transfer to, that the weather was much much better. But of all the airman I knew, every one of them loved Rapid City once they got there. So many of them came from large citys and when confronted with orders to Rapid City, all they could think of was a cow town out on the prairie and they weren't sure if they had electricity yet, or running water. They couldn't get out of the orders so had to report. Once they got there, and found out about the Black Hills and all of the great things going on in Rapid City and the surrounding towns, they enjoyed their tour and then didn't want to leave when it came time to transfer again.

So have your son find out what billets are available at those bases, if that is what he desires.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 22,201 times
Not so sure about Class B, but Class A jobs are abundant here and pay well! Can you upgrade? Be prepared to chain up. :-) I like Gillette, not to big or small, adequate shopping and restaurants and more choices only 2.5 hrs in any direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming