Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,762 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

I am considering living in Jackson, Wy. It has beautiful nature and a nice artistic community, these are what I like. On the other hand, I am young and single and I wonder whether there are too few young and single people who live in the town.

Perhaps the town has many more visitors from the nearby regions? Would Jackson be too isolated a place for a young and single person? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM

89 posts, read 303,304 times
good luck with that, in 2007 the median home price was $1.18 million

Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
It's been a few years since I was visiting with friends who spent a year in Jackson, but living there for them was "party central". They'd taken a year off from college to be ski instructors, bartenders, and whatever other work they could get to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

All of them had family money (trust fund income) coming in every quarter, without which they could not have lived in Jackson.

FWIW, I checked RE prices in Jackson last month, and a 1 bdr condo started at $650K.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Don't know what the median price has to do with a young single person living there, but from what I hear it's a great place to live. It seems to be kinda artsy/hip, so you'd think there would be plenty of young people living there. It may be expensive but I'm sure you could rent a place.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM

The rent for apts is way, way cheaper than Nyc, and these are big apts with beautiful views. Cost of living is low compared to other cities. I just don't know what kind of people live there.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Jackson is a tourist draw and vacation home to fairly wealthy people. I noticed mostly twenty something age group waiting tables. There would have to be a large service industry there. Those jobs are usually held by younger people.

Kind of people - well like most areas like that there are people loving the winter sports and living where they can - doing what they can to live there. I've had fun any time I've gone there.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM

269 posts, read 829,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Hello, everyone,

I am considering living in Jackson, Wy. It has beautiful nature and a nice artistic community, these are what I like. On the other hand, I am young and single and I wonder whether there are too few young and single people who live in the town.

Perhaps the town has many more visitors from the nearby regions? Would Jackson be too isolated a place for a young and single person? Thanks.
You could have a great time in the hole Being young and single would be to your advantage-you will not have a hard time finding friends in your adventure and will have a great time to boot Sure if you make some job inquires ya could find a board an room type job in a most beautiful place-go for it kid Never doubt yourself an enjoy one of the most beautiful places in our great state Have a great adventure

Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
You could have a great time in the hole Being young and single would be to your advantage-you will not have a hard time finding friends in your adventure and will have a great time to boot Sure if you make some job inquires ya could find a board an room type job in a most beautiful place-go for it kid Never doubt yourself an enjoy one of the most beautiful places in our great state Have a great adventure
Wyoman hit the nail on the head. I lived in Jackson for 17 years. I still get the paper and there are 5 pages of jobs. Most are tourist related but due to the severe lack of housing, lack of labor, the pay is high and plenty of management positions as well as frontline staff. You can see the paper's website to see the entire classified section. I was a staff photog at the newspaper.

Jackson is not like the rest of the state. Many call it WyoDisney. Lots of arts, mountain outdoor activities. If you can afford the rent that's great but not alot of places available. The valley is crazy busy in the summer.

About 10 years go alot of Mexicans moved in to take jobs so there is now a huge Mexican presence which I think is cool but it did cause some problems in the beginning. The high school now has an awesome soccer team.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM

382 posts, read 936,990 times
My husband is an artist and we live close to Jackson, He lived there for over 20 years.

Lots of jobs, rents are high, wonderfull artistic community. Not isolated and a great place for a single girls( Lots of single men, my husband imported me)

Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Thank you all so very much. I will come to visit. One question: is it a bad time to come during winter? Should I avoid certain periods of extreme cold? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: