Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:10 PM

212 posts, read 417,807 times

Advertisements

This morning I read that the glowing lights seen in a south-north trajectory from New Mexico to Montana on Sept. 2 was a Russian satillite breaking up as it re-entered. It mentioned that one fragment was large enough to show up as a weather event east of Cheyenne. What was the stock Photo that went with the article? A pretty picture of Signal Mountain in the Tetons. Honestly, how much farther from Cheyenne can you get in Wyoming? My friends and I have often said that the only concept that out-of-staters have of Wyoming is the Tetons. I wonder why?

I once attended a national conference held in Wisconsin where attendees had to bring a t-shirt about their state to trade. Mine had the outlines of Wyoming and Colo. on it and said "Torrington,Wyoming (one of the square states) And no, it's nowhere near the Tetons" . It was one of the most sought-after shirts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
This morning I read that the glowing lights seen in a south-north trajectory from New Mexico to Montana on Sept. 2 was a Russian satillite breaking up as it re-entered. It mentioned that one fragment was large enough to show up as a weather event east of Cheyenne. What was the stock Photo that went with the article? A pretty picture of Signal Mountain in the Tetons. Honestly, how much farther from Cheyenne can you get in Wyoming? My friends and I have often said that the only concept that out-of-staters have of Wyoming is the Tetons. I wonder why?

I once attended a national conference held in Wisconsin where attendees had to bring a t-shirt about their state to trade. Mine had the outlines of Wyoming and Colo. on it and said "Torrington,Wyoming (one of the square states) And no, it's nowhere near the Tetons" . It was one of the most sought-after shirts!
The Tetons and Yellowstone are what most people come to see when they visit Wyoming. That's the image people have of the state as that is what most pictures depicting Wyoming show. It's the same thing with Montana. People watch movies like A River Runs Through It and have this image that all of Montana looks like that, even though the eastern two thirds of the state more closely resembles North Dakota. People likely have an impression that South Dakota is Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills since that is what tourists come to see and that is what gets photographed. Many who are unfamiliar probably would be surprised to see that much of South Dakota is not so scenic. You could probably say this about a lot of different states.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,300,908 times
^ Yeah. Every state has to deal with its photogenic stereotype. To me Wyoming isn't Teton County. It's the awesome people I've met in Lusk, Guernsey, Sheridan, Rock Springs, etc. It's the open road with a lot of time to think to myself. But America's image is Yellowstone and the Tetons. Same as here in Colorado. The mountains and ski resorts are what people see when they think of this state. But one third is as flat as Kansas and agricultural. Stereotypes aren't fun but they exist.

By the way, I want one of those Torrington t-shirts.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
My wife was born a Valley girl in California, but grew up in Truckee. When the family moved back here everybody asked her about the beach. She say when we had 50 inches of snow on the ground we didn't no anything about deep snow.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM

212 posts, read 417,807 times
Sorry, I hade the T shirt made up special back in the 80s just for that event. I don't even have one, only the highest bidder has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming