Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,766 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I was wondering, how are the restaurants (quality, taste, etc) in Torrington? Does anyone have any recommendations? What about cities/towns near Torrington? Any suggestions would be great, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
There's the Wheatland Inn in Wheatland, but it's about 40 miles from Torrington (that's close by Wyoming standards). It's a pretty good coffee shop type of place, with a friendly atmosphere and good food at fair prices. I've only eaten there for Breakfast, though, so lunch and dinner might be different.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
This is a problem for Torrington.

The restaurants in town are pretty much limited to a few franchise burger or pizza places.

The one almost halfway edible restaurant in town was out of business when I was up that way in December.

When my wife and I have traveled through that area for the last 9 years, we've had the same question about a place to stop and get a bite ... and have ended up going to the "deli" counter at the supermarket and eating in their sit-down area. At least we were able to assemble our own sandwiches from OK ingredients there. It's been the best choice in town for several years, and we've done that a bunch of times. They don't even charge for the plastic tableware and little packets of "condiments".

There is nothing "close" by to Torrington for restaurants. We've been to all of the little outlying "town" areas, and it's fast food or nothing in those places, too.

I don't know why you'd go all the way to Wheatland, either .... the only decent place was the ... (well, now I forget the name of the place) log cabin faced bar/restaurant on the North End of the main street along the East side of the highway, set back from the road. They had a decent salad bar and sandwiches ... but when I drove past the place on my way to Sheridan this last week, they were closed and there was a "for sale" sign facing the highway. In desperation, I stopped at the little mexican cafe on the corner by the stoplight heading into the downtown area ... and their smothered (hot, green) tamales were among the most tasteless I've ever eaten. Kinda' a tip off of what to expect when they serve chips and watery non-spicy (no heat) tomato sauce for the appetizer, and the tamale platter came out of the kitchen within a minute after the order was placed. Mexican food is one of the least expensive cuisines to have in a restaurant, so at their price points .... you'd expect some real food. But they strive to disappoint, and do a good job of it. I think you could do better with the packaged "food" at the C-store down the street.

Even my wife makes better masa with more flavor than these folks, and she's not a cook, she hates to cook and grew up learning how not to cook from her Mom ..... from regular store-bought Masa Harina.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,766 times
Thanks for the comments. Hmm, Wheatland is a bit far, just to grab a bite to eat. The restaurants in Torrington can't possibly be that bad. What do the people in town eat? And judging from what sunsprit said above, there are mostly fast food and mexican places?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL-san View Post
Thanks for the comments. Hmm, Wheatland is a bit far, just to grab a bite to eat. The restaurants in Torrington can't possibly be that bad. What do the people in town eat? And judging from what sunsprit said above, there are mostly fast food and mexican places?
The most popular place in town is Deacon's on HWY 85 south of town-- good food, good prices and large portions appeal to the locals. Soups are home-made daily. They are closed all day Sunday, however.

La Familia Prado, also on HWY 85 as you enter town has home-made Mexican fare. The food is a bit mild for my taste, but that's how the locals prefer it.

Kings' Inn is across the street from Deacons on Hwy 85. It's a bit more upscale, but is still casual. You won't feel out of place in jeans or boots.

Jose Paisano's is on the south end of Main St beside the Broncho Bar, and serves Mexican, Italian and American selections.

There's also a pretty good Chinese place on the north end of Main St across from the post office. I can never remember the name-- everybody just calls it the Chinese place.

On Hwy 26 you'll find the Torrington Travel terminal and the Ten Pin Tropics on the east side of town-- both have pretty good cafes and daily specials.

On Hwy 26 on the west side of town sit Buck's Pizza and Kyra's Corner Cafe. Both are locally owned. I like both places but my wife refuses to return to Kyra's because it's pretty run down (which is what I like about it!!!).

Pretty much all else are national chain fast food places.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
The most popular place in town is Deacon's on HWY 85 south of town-- good food, good prices and large portions appeal to the locals. Soups are home-made daily. They are closed all day Sunday, however.

La Familia Prado, also on HWY 85 as you enter town has home-made Mexican fare. The food is a bit mild for my taste, but that's how the locals prefer it.

Kings' Inn is across the street from Deacons on Hwy 85. It's a bit more upscale, but is still casual. You won't feel out of place in jeans or boots.

Jose Paisano's is on the south end of Main St beside the Broncho Bar, and serves Mexican, Italian and American selections.

There's also a pretty good Chinese place on the north end of Main St across from the post office. I can never remember the name-- everybody just calls it the Chinese place.

On Hwy 26 you'll find the Torrington Travel terminal and the Ten Pin Tropics on the east side of town-- both have pretty good cafes and daily specials.

On Hwy 26 on the west side of town sit Buck's Pizza and Kyra's Corner Cafe. Both are locally owned. I like both places but my wife refuses to return to Kyra's because it's pretty run down (which is what I like about it!!!).

Pretty much all else are national chain fast food places.
Have to add my 2 cents - La Familia Prado has run down environment. Been to the King's Inn at least once a month since they remodeled - food has been horrible every time. I keep going back because locals say to give it a chance. Chinese place is very good. Torrington Travel terminal is good for breakfast, but lunch and dinner food is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Buck's Pizza has limited seating.

Don't mean to run down Torrington eateries - but let's face it, we are very short on good ones. Plenty of fast food - and our Burger King doesn't have quality food like others.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

15 posts, read 55,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
This is a problem for Torrington.

I don't know why you'd go all the way to Wheatland, either .... the only decent place was the ... (well, now I forget the name of the place) log cabin faced bar/restaurant on the North End of the main street along the East side of the highway, set back from the road. They had a decent salad bar and sandwiches ... .

I think you mean "Casey's Timberhaus".
"Vimbo's" in Wheatland isn't bad, either.

The biggest shock to us when we moved to Wyoming was the lack of cuisine.
Larger towns have a decent selection of restaurants, but the rural population likes more of a "meat and potatoes" menu. Small town restaurants reflect these tastes.
All in all, life's great here, though.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Ah, yes ... Casey's Timberhaus.

Beg to differ with you, Treehugger ... the "larger towns" don't have a decent selection of restaurants. They may have people in the restaurant business, but that doesn't mean they're worthy of your patronage.

There's an isolated few outstanding places scattered throughout the state, but, on balance, the rest are rather poor ... even if you are only expecting "meat and potatoes". Even the franchise fast food restaurants don't have the food quality that you've come to expect from their operations out of the region, even with corporate recipes and structured food prep procedures and centralized food supply.

Sometimes, the best food service in many towns is at the local truckstop(s) ... from time to time, depending upon the current executive chef, there's really good food to be had and enjoyed. Other times, it's a real let-down. I've seen good operations come and go at the local Sapp Bros and the TA and the Flying J in Cheyenne ... it's a real mixed bag. Sometimes, the Hitching Post has a good lunch, and somedays ... it's just short of awful.

Same for the Plains Hotel in Cheyenne, which recently announced a new executive chef with a stellar food service background last month who is checking out the town and going to "wow" us with his new cuisine ... we'll see. I was there last week for lunch and ordered a sandwich that day along with the soup/salad bar. The salad bar had nicely presented wilted and rotting greens included for your selection and dining pleasure, and the soups were ... forgettable. Some of the pasta salads were OK, but the one with the "suri" (imitation crab, or "krab" if you prefer) had advanced to the consistency of a tire retread material ... chewy, without much flavor ... good for getting those chewing muscles exercised if they'd been lazy lately. There was a selection of a very gray, horribly overcooked meat like substance purported to be "roast beef" ... I know it was supposed to be beef, but I suspect it was left over from a saddlemaker's shop scraps and hadn't been boiled long enough to get the tar out of it. The sandwich I got was a pretty sorry affair masquerading as a "reuben". For a $9.00 lunch .... I'd have to tell you that it was a big disappointment. Thankfully, my lunch appointment partner paid for this disaster. Oh, and the service ... we sat down at 11:50, the beginning of the lunch hour "rush" to an almost empty restaurant, just two other tables .... was almost non-existent; it's not to tough to try to refill our drinks once in the course of a meal, is it? Especially when all I'm drinking is water, and the glass gets empty in the first couple of minutes and the waitress can see it's empty from her station three booths away?

It's not adequate to excuse and rationalize poor food, badly prepared and served ... on the basis of "they're meat and potato" folks.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,703 times
There is also the Java Jar if you are in town for lunch. Good coffee and sandwiches, but as an original Omaha, NE girl, the restuarant selection is not what you would find in a large city, but that is small town life. I've only been here for a few months, but the service is good and people are friendly. There is also Lira's in Lingle, about 10 miles west on HWY 26.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelle1981 View Post
There is also the Java Jar if you are in town for lunch. Good coffee and sandwiches, but as an original Omaha, NE girl, the restuarant selection is not what you would find in a large city, but that is small town life. I've only been here for a few months, but the service is good and people are friendly. There is also Lira's in Lingle, about 10 miles west on HWY 26.
Bluebelle,
Since I see this is your first post on the forum, let me say "Welcome!"
From your description of things, I'm guessing you live in or near Torrington?
It's good to have you here. There are lots of folks on here asking questions as I'm sure you're finding out, so it's always good to hear from someone who has some good answers. There are lots of folks on here that have good answers to everyone's questions. It's good to have you among us. Again, welcome to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming