Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Yea... go ahead and say it... it's OK...

They also give you a "warning" when I or my buddies are waiting for you in the median just on the other side of that hill.... I know you were dying to say it...
That's just safe driving. Like a radar detector. It's not to keep you from getting a ticket, it's to keep a constant reminder to drive safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,891 times
Default Make your own high power portable

If you don't want to "install" a CB, but want something that will give you a good range when you need it - try this:

Purchase a small mobile CB and an expandable magnet mount CB antenna. (Walmart or Radio Shack should sell both).

Purchase a cigarette lighter plug from radio shack, and wire your mobile CB into the cigarette plug to power it. Throw it and the antenna in a small bag and presto - a high power bag full of "peace of mind".

Now when you need it, or you are going on a long trip (or a short trip during a Wyoming winter), you can just open up your bag, plop the antenna on the roof, plug your CB into the cigarette lighter, and you are in business!

You could even add some custom touches like glueing some of that non-slip rubber pad stuff from Walmart to the bottom of the CB so you can sit it on the dash. (Just remember that anything loose or unsecure on your dash can become a deadly missle in a crash).

That brings up another important point
- if you are making your "safety/survival kit" for winter - why not take another step toward a safer trip and remove all the loose stuff from your vehicle, and use that cargo net that came with your SUV in the back. If you are in a bad crash - these things flying around inside the car can cause serious injuries. Everything in my patrol car is secured down except the coffee cup - which is secured as soon as it empties.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
TGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's just safe driving. Like a radar detector. It's not to keep you from getting a ticket, it's to keep a constant reminder to drive safely.
True, but unlike the radar detector, the CB is not going to be an automatic ticket.

If I see a radar detector, you can flush any chance of a warning. The reason is simple - a warning is for the good citizens out there that make an honest mistake, and when they receive a "friendly" reminder, correct the problem and try not to do it again. The radar detector, on the other hand, says to me that this was not a mistake, they were speeding on purpose and with intent, and invested in a tool to help them break the law. This is a far cry from the person who just "accidentally let the speed slip away from them".

I have to say - I love the CB from a traffic safety aspect. I can sit and run radar at milepost 320 for 10 minutes, and then go to lunch in town, and 20 minutes later when I get back to the interstate they are still talking about that "full grown bear sitting at the 320"

Just be careful of that other driver you talk to in the middle of the night that says "hammer down driver, I haven't seen a bear since I left Rawlins"... It could be me

Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
TGM

Default CB Terms

For those of you on here that are new to CB radios, here is a quick lesson on what you will here. (I will decypher the "trucker code" - and try to stick to the "safety issues" so when you hear them talking about an alligator in the road ahead of you, you know what they mean!)

"bear" - any cop
"county mounty" - Sheriff Deputy
"baby bear" - a cop they feel is a rookie, or a small town cop
"full grown bear" - State Trooper
"brown paper bag" or "plain wrapper" - unmarked police car
"alligator" - tire tread from a big truck
"back door" - the last person in a line of cars or trucks
"front door" - opposite of "back door"
"back 'er down" - slow down
"brake check" - slow down ahead (backed up traffic, etc)
"hammer lane" - the left (inside), or "fast lane"
"clean shot" - the road ahead is clear of debris, construction, & cops
"crack 'em up" - vehicle crash or wreck
"dream weaver" - sleepy driver or drunk all over the road
"meat wagon" - ambulance

You could write all day on the CB terms, but here are a few "safety" terms that would be good to know. I'm sure ElkHunter can add quite a few safety terms as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Looks like you got most of them TGM.

I might add one.

Local Yocal - Another name for a city cop.

Also, don't bother memorizing the 10 code.

10 - 4 = OK.
10 - 9 = Repeat your message.
10 - 20 = Location.

Other then that, if you know the 10 code it's not going to do much for you because 90% of the drivers out there don't know them.

So plain english is what works best.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Quote:
I have to say - I love the CB from a traffic safety aspect. I can sit and run radar at milepost 320 for 10 minutes, and then go to lunch in town, and 20 minutes later when I get back to the interstate they are still talking about that "full grown bear sitting at the 320"

Just be careful of that other driver you talk to in the middle of the night that says "hammer down driver, I haven't seen a bear since I left Rawlins"... It could be me
Too funny.

What a tough job though. I think it would be scary being a cop. Thank you for doing what you do to keep our roads and other places safe.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM

59 posts, read 239,906 times
Default GMRS and PLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wow. I went to that web site and looked at about a gazillion forms you have to fill out and apply for. Then I looked up fee's and found that you have to calculate based on 2.6% of the 2005 fee's increasing each year. But after about 15 minutes I couldn't find what it costs to license.

Do you have one? If so, could you give us an idea of cost? What's the distance and who will you talk to. I noticed REACT uses them. I used to be a member of the REACT in Rapid City, but before GMRS's. I also noticed that REACT only monitors and uses during special occasions. When I was in REACT, a blizzard was a special occasion. We had a watch list so that Channel 9 was monitored 24 hours a day by at least 2 people. One on the east side of town and one on the west. But during a blizzard, at least 6 or 8 people monitored for the duration.

But with this GMRS, who would you contact and how far away could you expect to get with it?
I will have my husband answer this for you. He is retired military, and tries to be prepared for everything possible. With us moving to Wyoming, heaven only knows what can happen, and we don't want to be caught with our pants down!!! He says you can always email him at bzbzman@msn.com. He says don't forget about having a strobe light in your emergency items.
1.) Forget about the forms and fees. You can buy hand held GRMS radios from CABELA'S for around $40-50. They trans mit about 8 miles but if there are mountains , sometimes less and sometimes more. All they are is a hand held CB Radio that Trans a bit further. We have 2,,, usually they come in two packs. When we are on the road we can keep in touch. I also have several of the regular hand held CB's so if there are more than 2 vehicles than the GRMS go in the front and rear. I also have a Personal Locator Beacon,, also from Cabela's,, all you do with it is raise the antenna and push the button. It uses satellite to tell SAR where you are and they come to the PLB. IT'S ONLY FOR EXTREME EMERGENCIES. The registration is free with NOAA and has to be re-registered every 2 years. If you decide to get a GRMS than don't buy cheap,, you will get what you pay for.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,837 times
I always (year-round) keep my .357 or .44 mag, sleeping bag and wool blanket, coat and gloves, shovel, food and water, jack, ax, saw, knife, and chains (tow and tire). If I go into the hills, I always take along a chainsaw, as I have had to cut trees off the road. I don't keep a "winter" supply as winter can strike at any time.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Quote:
True, but unlike the radar detector, the CB is not going to be an automatic ticket.

If I see a radar detector, you can flush any chance of a warning.

I missed this post but I just knew having a radar detector would not be good! I was given one as a gift and refused to accept it. It hurt the person's feelings because they thought I was wrong that it was like having a flag that said "I speed". It would be like trying to say you didn't eat the last piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing on your lips! Hard to appear innocent!!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 AM

I run a radar detector and always will. It's just safe practice. I don't care what anybody says, it's a reminder to check your speed. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming