Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
If you don't want to "install" a CB, but want something that will give you a good range when you need it - try this:

Purchase a small mobile CB and an expandable magnet mount CB antenna. (Walmart or Radio Shack should sell both).

Purchase a cigarette lighter plug from radio shack, and wire your mobile CB into the cigarette plug to power it. Throw it and the antenna in a small bag and presto - a high power bag full of "peace of mind".

Now when you need it, or you are going on a long trip (or a short trip during a Wyoming winter), you can just open up your bag, plop the antenna on the roof, plug your CB into the cigarette lighter, and you are in business!

You could even add some custom touches like glueing some of that non-slip rubber pad stuff from Walmart to the bottom of the CB so you can sit it on the dash. (Just remember that anything loose or unsecure on your dash can become a deadly missle in a crash).

That brings up another important point
- if you are making your "safety/survival kit" for winter - why not take another step toward a safer trip and remove all the loose stuff from your vehicle, and use that cargo net that came with your SUV in the back. If you are in a bad crash - these things flying around inside the car can cause serious injuries. Everything in my patrol car is secured down except the coffee cup - which is secured as soon as it empties.
I have a CB radio very similar to what you are describing, it has battery back up and I plug it into the cigerette lighter also...

My antenna is just a basic one that comes with the cb I bought, but it is magnetic and sits on top of the car...

I didn't know they had expandable ones, that would be a great idea, help get a little more range...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
I have a CB radio very similar to what you are describing, it has battery back up and I plug it into the cigerette lighter also...

My antenna is just a basic one that comes with the cb I bought, but it is magnetic and sits on top of the car...

I didn't know they had expandable ones, that would be a great idea, help get a little more range...
Your talking about the same antenna. Normally a hand held comes only with the little 8 inch antenna sticking out of the top. To expand your coverage, buy a roof mounted magnet mount. Will give you better range. And you've already done that.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Your talking about the same antenna. Normally a hand held comes only with the little 8 inch antenna sticking out of the top. To expand your coverage, buy a roof mounted magnet mount. Will give you better range. And you've already done that.
Oh I thought he meant you could get an antenna that was longer than 8 inches that you could pull out does that make sense?... but I guess then it could fly off if it was too long I didn't think about that on the other hand lol

Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

24 posts, read 69,978 times
Hmmmmm, guess I better rethink my winter trunk kit before I move up to Wy this summer. Right now, it consists of a beach chair, fishing poles, tackle box, flip flops and a six pack!
Harry

Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
That brings up another important point - if you are making your "safety/survival kit" for winter - why not take another step toward a safer trip and remove all the loose stuff from your vehicle, and use that cargo net that came with your SUV in the back. If you are in a bad crash - these things flying around inside the car can cause serious injuries. Everything in my patrol car is secured down except the coffee cup - which is secured as soon as it empties.
I was reminded of this post today when a friend called to tell me about the accident she was in yesterday. Her car had all the seat bags you want and worked very well. Her well strapped in children in the back seat were hurt from the loose stuff flying around inside the car. Her purse flew into the back seat!

I told her about reading this reminder and, of course, she wanted to know if my passenger seat still was covered with a wide variety of stuff! I don't know what I'll do with my purse, my cell, my PDA, my camera, and my notebook - but I'm thinking about it!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
I hope the children are doing okay.

That is a good reminder. It sure is easy to get things cluttered up.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
In the Navy, we called it a missile hazard. If it ain't strapped down, when you take a hit, it becomes a missile. Cell phone, purse, hand held CB, pda, everything will fly around. At speeds faster then what your going. Cintrifical force will make things go faster. A cell phone can go through somebody's skull. A purse can crush your face. Have nothing in the car with you. Think about it. Do you need your purse? Is there something your going to need while driving? Put it in the trunk. If you need to refresh your makeup, stop, get it out of the trunk. You don't need to be applieing makup while driving anyhow. hahaha

Biggest thing I have in the vehicle is my diet coke can. If I roll the truck, that diet coke can might kill me.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM

25 posts, read 90,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I moved this forward so we didn't have to keep going back to see it. This is the current list as of 26 Feb.

Parka
Leather gloves with liners
Insulated Bibs/coveralls
Candles 6-8
Energy Bars
Breakfast bars
Empty Cup or couple of bean cans
Road Flares
Yellow Rotating Light
GPS
Chain or Strap
Relfective Triangles
Chains or Cables
Jumper Cables
Snow brush
Ice Scraper
Watch caps or Balaclava
Flashlights
Toilet Paper
Paper Towel
Shovel
Sand
Fuel
Blankets
Matches, waterproof
whistle
duck tape, neon orange
flairs
weather radio/cb handheld
gun
bic lighter
basic first aid kit
extra socks
hand/foot warmers
atlas
reading books
Hunting/survival knife
immodium tablets or pepto tablets

I left a couple things out because they would be personal preference and not needed by everybody for the winter. Anything else?
Since the wife and I are planning on a move to Cody I have been reading the threads in here. I understand most of the items in the lists for the winter, but am wondering why a gun is listed in most all the lists. Am I missing something? Would someone clue us in on this point. The only handgun we own at present is a Ruger 9mm. Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Reikihands;
Well in Wyo there is more wildlife than people. So if there is a rabid animal around, certain parts of Wyoming have Wolves or Wolf sightings, in Cody it is Grizz country, of up in the Big Horns there is moose and they get pretty territorial,also for self defense, that is just a way of life around here a lot of people carry a gun in their vehicle and very smart thing to do if you get stranded especially in the mountains or places where there could be predators such as Mountain Lion or varmints such as Cayotes.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I see kitty litter or sand mentioned in each cold weather emergency kit. What is the use/function of this? Do you throw it ahead of tires that are dug into soft ground?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming