Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Wyoming is pretty live-and-let-live. I don't know about getting your hair done, you'd probably have to travel to Rapid City for hair appointments! The nice thing is, you could get some shopping in while you're there because there really isn't any in Gillette.
Bingo! (See below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Neither my wife nor I have ever heard of a black beauty shop in Gillette, but there are a lot of beauty shops, and there could be a few beauticians who specialize.... I've gotta get a haircut in the next week, and I'll ask about it when I'm there. If anyone would know, they would....
I forgot to ask my barber when I got a haircut a week or two ago, but I happened to see him entering his shop today as I drove past and phoned him. (Actually talked to his wife.) She didn't know of anyone who specializes in AA hair. She said a shop would need to carry "different shampoos, conditioners and everything," and didn't think that was available anywhere in town. She's been a salon owner in Gillette since the mid-70s or so, at one time the largest shop in town, until she and her husband "retired" with a two-person shop -- her chair for ladies and his chair for gents, so I think she'd know what's available.

Anyway, she said she sends those who call to Rapid City, just as Dave suggested. That's a long drive for a haircut, but Rapid City is the regional shopping center -- 135 miles east on I-90. Again like Dave says, you could just make it an excuse to do some shopping. We do that sometimes when I have doctor appointments in Rapid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM

163 posts, read 130,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Wyoming is pretty live-and-let-live. I don't know about getting your hair done, you'd probably have to travel to Rapid City for hair appointments! The nice thing is, you could get some shopping in while you're there because there really isn't any in Gillette.
I doubt rapid would be an option for getting hair done for her either, unless she likes braids because many native Americans braid there hair. I have only seen a few black people in rapid also and no beauty shops. Even in Sioux Falls the few black beauty shops are ran by Africans who usually have much coarser hair than African Americans from growing up not hot combing it or using relaxers. I knew a couple African American women who complained that the beauty shops in SD ran by Africans hurt there scalp, and even ripped there hair out. I would be surprised if you could even find blue magic or bonnets at walmarts in Wyoming.

Cheyenne Wyoming might have a place or two that would do a decent job but still I doubt it. I cant think of anywhere in the region outside of Colorado that would. A lot of white people don't understand black people have very different hair than whites. If they have long hair they require specialized products made just for them to maintain it. It's not like a black woman with long hair even has the option to visit a place like great clips and if she can't find the proper products to put in her hair and wrap it up while she sleeps it will look horrible.

If I were you I would stock up a years supply of stuff you will need for your hair before you go there. Maybe consider going natural and growing an afro.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teff44 View Post
I'm a single African American woman thinking about accepting job offer in Gillette. I wonder about whether there's a community there, a black beauty shop,etc? And of course, general impressions about tolerance. I see there's very little diversity but that isn't always negative as far as people go!
We have just moved here to Gillette in Nov 2016. I am AA and there is not one AA beauty salon here. I have to go to Denver this Friday being my hair doesn't like this lovely quiet place. I think it's the hard smelly water or the extra dryness.

I have seen three AA women with braids as well as myself which I do myself. I have had to learn to cut my husband hair from Youtube. How do they not teach Caucasians to work with all types of hair while in beauty school?

Long story short, you should indeed look into spreading your gift of hair. And if your good and can do all types of hair, I have seen some younger people trying to have swag. They may very well look to you for some spice.

Make sure you make it known if you come. I think we all shop Walmart. ;O)

Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I doubt rapid would be an option for getting hair done for her either, unless she likes braids because many native Americans braid there hair. I have only seen a few black people in rapid also and no beauty shops. Even in Sioux Falls the few black beauty shops are ran by Africans who usually have much coarser hair than African Americans from growing up not hot combing it or using relaxers. I knew a couple African American women who complained that the beauty shops in SD ran by Africans hurt there scalp, and even ripped there hair out. I would be surprised if you could even find blue magic or bonnets at walmarts in Wyoming.

Cheyenne Wyoming might have a place or two that would do a decent job but still I doubt it. I cant think of anywhere in the region outside of Colorado that would. A lot of white people don't understand black people have very different hair than whites. If they have long hair they require specialized products made just for them to maintain it. It's not like a black woman with long hair even has the option to visit a place like great clips and if she can't find the proper products to put in her hair and wrap it up while she sleeps it will look horrible.

If I were you I would stock up a years supply of stuff you will need for your hair before you go there. Maybe consider going natural and growing an afro.
This barber shop is in Cheyenne: https://m.facebook.com/THEPRESIDENTIALBARBERSHOP/

Given the military presence in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a or more than one barber shop or salon that specializes in AA hair. There is a visible community there and maybe in Casper, as both have churches that worship out of AA tradition as well.

This is or was in Cheyenne as well: The New Elite Barshop/Salon | The Staff

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-22-2017 at 04:30 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
We can assume that the question proffered by the OP has been answered. She has not logged into City-Date for a full eleven months. This has been the only thread to which she posted.

For further questions about the racial makeup of Gillette, please see the applicable City-Data page, (i.e.,//www.city-data.com/races/races...e-Wyoming.html). City-Data will not condone racism in any form, overt or otherwise.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-01-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming