Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,459 times

Advertisements

Wanting to move to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just want to know if there are some ranches or small, small farms for rent around there. And I would also like to know anything I should about the area cuz I'm moving from San Diego. My Daughter and I want a more country style life.
we are looking for a 2 bedroom. we have a dog and cat. We want just a couple of horses. Just a tiny ranch.
We heard such wonderful things about Cheyenne. And like to hear more about it.

Anything u know, tell me. (any jobs as well. Perfect ranch hand. good with animals.)
Thank you so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,231 times
https://www.wyomingatwork.com/

Here is a great place to start as far as jobs in the area...

I am not sure about the rentals down there, I would think they are more in southeast Wyoming than other parts of the state, like up here in Sheridan, Gillette, or Buffalo, where it is a lot harder to find a rental....

I think Cheyenne would be easier...

You should definitely come out here for a visit if you can, that really helps...
or you can temporarily rent an apartment or house and then see if there are any ranches or places to rent like that... I know up here in Sheridan, you either have to have family ties or make pretty darn good money to rent a nice farm or place in the country... unless like us we have found a run down mobile home that we are trying to get out of....

There are lots of people on here though that are more familiar with that area...

Another reason why I say it is good to take a visit, a lot of people underestimate the wind and climate down in Southern Wyoming. Depending on where exactly you live, there may not be a ton of malls or places to shop that people become accustomed to in larger cities. But you won't be too far from Denver or Ft. Collins, for that kind of stuff.... and Cheyenne may have some more stores as well... haven't been to that town yet though so not for sure...

Best of luck to you...

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM

269 posts, read 829,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horses4ever View Post
Wanting to move to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just want to know if there are some ranches or small, small farms for rent around there. And I would also like to know anything I should about the area cuz I'm moving from San Diego. My Daughter and I want a more country style life.
we are looking for a 2 bedroom. we have a dog and cat. We want just a couple of horses. Just a tiny ranch.
We heard such wonderful things about Cheyenne. And like to hear more about it.

Anything u know, tell me. (any jobs as well. Perfect ranch hand. good with animals.)
Thank you so much.
Kristy gave you a great work site! stay away from cheyenne. From your heart felt thread -we want you and family in wyo. Concentrate on sheridan-Big Horn area- lots of big ranches needing cooks- caretakers- emphasize need for housing-some have small homes for thier hands. Don't be discouraged-keep at it-and you will find your place in our great state! You seem to have the work ethic it takes' Good luck young lady!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM

thank you for your responses. We aren't looking for a 20 acre ranch. Just something that allows 2 horses. Doesn't have to be directly in Cheyenne. Could be on the outskirts.

Or if you know any Realtors that would know anything, please tell me.

I might be flying over to Denver and ether renting a car or taking the shuttle to Cheyenne. Do you have any suggestions on transportation at all?

I have a 15 year old Daughter as well. Is it a good place for teenagers? Will she die of boredom?? haha

If you have anything alse i should know please tell me.
thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM

56 posts, read 157,674 times
Default 20 acres?

Bring at least 750K AT LEAST... 35 acres will run 275K plus in Sheridan area.. building a low end 1600 sq ft crawl space house on it will cost another 221K or so.. so just keep that in mind.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:17 PM

no. we don't need 20 acres. just a little tiny ranch for two horses. nothing huge.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM

57 posts, read 324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
Bring at least 750K AT LEAST... 35 acres will run 275K plus in Sheridan area.. building a low end 1600 sq ft crawl space house on it will cost another 221K or so.. so just keep that in mind.
Wow, that's outrageous.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horses4ever View Post
thank you for your responses. We aren't looking for a 20 acre ranch. Just something that allows 2 horses. Doesn't have to be directly in Cheyenne. Could be on the outskirts.

Or if you know any Realtors that would know anything, please tell me.

I might be flying over to Denver and ether renting a car or taking the shuttle to Cheyenne. Do you have any suggestions on transportation at all?

I have a 15 year old Daughter as well. Is it a good place for teenagers? Will she die of boredom?? haha

If you have anything alse i should know please tell me.
thanks
With what you are looking for, I think you should be able to find something in or near Cheyenne. I've seen more and more places being built on the north side of town that are on one to five acre lots over the last few years. Many of these that I have seen are near I-25. I am sure that with the slowdown in the housing market recently, there should be something available for rent in the area. You might also want to consider some of the nearby towns, such as Wheatland (an hour north), Torrington (a little over an hour to the northeast), or Pine Bluffs (about 45 minutes east).

As far as a teenager in Wyoming is concerned, I would recommend that you get her involved in some type of outdoor activity, such as FFA or 4-H. With the ranching heritage in Wyoming, this would help her get used to the rural lifestyle Wyoming has to offer, while providing a constructive path for her energy to be focused on. Where I am, a teenager without something constructive to channel their energy into usually ends up getting themselves into trouble. Cheyenne should have the best opportunities for her to find something to her liking, due to the size of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming