Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,188,993 times

Advertisements

Okay I asked my friend whose husband works in Green River and on Facebook there's a group called Rentals-Rocksprings/Green River Area that could be a great resource for helping you find a place to live. I wish we'd know about Misty's List before we moved to Star Valley, because Craigslist wasn't any help for our area at all.

I agree that being from California and the go, go, go mentality that Wyoming is a much slower pace, but I love it. I love having an actual conversation with the checkout clerk's, or the bank tellers, you get to know people, your not just another face in the crowd.

The only thing that bugs me is the automatic door at the grocery store opens so flipping slow, I try to rush out the door and it's like Nah...you slow down Missy you're on WY time. It opens, it just slowly opens, it still cracks me up a year later because some days I forget and try to rush out the door. 😉
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:00 PM

77 posts, read 92,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
as one who has been a Subaru OBW owner since 1995, have had 8 of these ranging from our first 2.2l powered, then 2.5l OBW's, then 2001 OBW Limiteds, now recently in to 2ea 2007 OBW 2.5i model w/automatic transmissions ...

have put Class 2 Curt industries trailer hitches on all. With them, we tow: 1) several small boat trailers, including my Laser sailboat 2-pack trailer or a 12' aluminum fishing boat with 9 HP outboard and fishing gear, 2) a Harbor Freight lightweight 4' x 8' utility trailer, set up with a box and removable plywood sides for Farmer's Market sales, and 3) a homebuilt heavy duty (1,500 lb capacity) utility trailer that hauls farm/ranch bulky materials or a "doghouse" we secure with turnbuckles that is sized to carry 8 lambs from our annual livestock buying trips to MO or OH.

Mrs Sun routinely sees 22-ish mpg towing the livestock load at 55-60 mph back from the sale barn, running the A/C in the summer temps. The Subie will handle the load without overheating.

The Subie OBW will readily tow trailers in this size/weight range. But be forewarned that with this load, you will definitely notice the very lessened performance of the car for acceleration or being able to maintain highway 55-60 mph speeds
on the grades here at the altitudes of Wyoming.

IF towing a typical small/lightweight "teardrop" type 2-person camper trailer is a priority for you, I'd consider getting one of the Turbo'ed model Subies AND limiting the trailer weight "on the road" with all your gear/food/propane/equipment to less than 1,500 lbs per the latest SAE J2807 trailer specs (which address the concerns of the car brakes/suspension limitations even though Subie may claim a higher weight towing capacity on various year models). Turbo's available in both the legacy OBW and Forester series cars. Consider, too, how much weight you're planning on putting in the car with your gear/clothing/equipment/passengers ... it's not a good idea to load the car down to the gills with a lot of "stuff" and then pull a loaded to the max trailer, too. Again, you need to put the loads here in perspective ... you're at altitude (thinner air for cooling purposes for the engine AND transmission), potentially a "hot" day ambient temps, and there's grades up to climb and descend ... putting max loads on the engine/transmission and brakes on your vehicle.

Do keep in mind that if you're relying upon the Subie for daily transportation purposes, that you'll pay the price in lower fuel consumption mpg's than the non-turbo models. Mrs Sun's 2007 2.5i OBW auto trans routinely turns in (over the last year and 25,000 miles of driving a used 175,000 mile car when we bought it) a composite 28 mpg (50-50 around town and highway driving at 75 mph) lightly loaded, and 30-31 mpg on highway driving. We mostly use the ethanol-free "blue" gasoline available here now as we typically see a drop in fuel economy on the ethanol 85 octane fuel here. The "blue" gas cost is just under the price/gallon of "premium" 91 octane, but runs better and has fewer fuel related problems of the ethanol attacking the rubber components of the FI system.

Curt Industries trailer hitches custom manufactured for the Subie's, easy to install if you have access to a hoist to get under the car ... not quite so easy working with floor jacks/stands on a creeper under the car. About $160 from numerous hitch supply outfits on-line, free shipping. They also supply a "plug and play" lighting adapter $40 kit for the trailer lights which takes but a few minutes to plug into the connector under the rear panels inside the back of the car.

I traded my 2001 OBW Limited 2.5l 5-speed manual w/189,000 miles in on a 2007 2.5i OBW 156,000 miles automatic trans equipped car last Friday. Have ordered the Curt trailer hitch for it, will install next week. Kept the lighting adapter box so will re-use this on my "new" car.

FWIW ... there's a very active marketplace in the Rocky Mountain region for Subie's. You'll find a number of used car dealers that specialize in this marque ... some of them are repair shops that actively trade the cars, some of them are car lots that specialize in them. You'll also find an active market in owner resales on C-List. If I hadn't wanted to trade off my 2001, I'd have bought one from those listings this time around ... but I didn't want to deal with the cosmetic issues (dark green metallic paint on my 2001 had lost the clear coat on most of the upper surfaces due to the UV here at altitude) which were a serious drawback to the marketability of the car. Mechanically it was in excellent condition, but it would have been a dog to sell privately with the paint issue. So if you're not up for the price of the latest year models, there's lots of options for used ... good quality with lots of service life left in them ... Subie's around here.

But keep in mind that unless you're traveling off the paved roads around the RS area, you will be able to do so with most any generic FWD car equipped with good tires. While the Subie AWD system and ground clearance is nice to have, it's not a necessity here for most drivers ... and you do pay a full time penalty in lesser fuel economy compared to many FWD only cars.

The primary reason we've recently upgraded to the 2007 Subie models is the switch from the 50-50 full time split F-R on the manual trans Subies we've driven for so many years to the later generation AWD system which predominantly splits to a FWD car with the automatic transmission until the car senses that it needs to send more power to the rear wheels. It's one of the ways that Subie improved the fuel economy from the 25-ish mpg composite we used to get on the 2001 models. As well, we've found over the last year that a side-by-side comparison of driving the 2001 series models vs the next generation 2007 models was much "easier" in inclement driving conditions on slick roads. Perhaps that's a subjective opinion, but the 2007 seems to be more of a "point and go" car compared to the earlier generation AWD system. Also, the standard model 2.5i 2007 is much quieter and a tighter car than the upline "limited" models we had previously. What you give up with the limited is the upline leather seats, CD changer with weather band radio, and two-part sunroof. So far, haven't missed the sunroof or the leather upholstery ... which I always have covered with sheepskin seat covers because the leather was uncomfortably hot in warm sunny weather.

PS: I'm not a fan of the CVT trans on these cars ... which does get "better" fuel economy than the regular 4-speed automatic trans.
Honestly, I had to reread your post like 3 times but that's ok because whoa was it full of information. So here's the deal, I drive a small, low to the ground, little car. I went and checked out a couple of awd vehicles yesterday..the chevy trax for example and personally, I thought it sucked. I did look up suburus online and the pricing alone has me a little hesitant to take the plunge just yet and buy a new car. I was in Michigan last month and drove my brother's fwd car around in the snow...and got stuck more than once..he doesn't have snow tires though. I am thinking since reading so many posts about it that I will go ahead and get some snow tires...try my first winter and if it sucks..go ahead and buy a car next year. I am still figuring out what sort of camper I want..and maybe I want one with a bathroom...I am sorta feeling that new airstream..the tiny one its called the basecamp..it's so hot omg..anyways thanks for the advice..I am sorta frothing at the mouth for a pickup but I am so short and so used to driving my tiny little car that when I am in a big truck I feel like a 5 year old lol!

Old 03-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
Haha! Thought I’d razz you a little with that!

Here’s the relevant portion of our driver license law that you would be interested in. If anybody tells you that you can’t legally drive for a year on your California driver license, please refer them to Wyoming statute 31-7-107:

Persons exempted.

(a) The following persons are exempt from the licensing requirement under this act:
(B) A resident possessing any other driver's license shall only be exempt from the licensing requirement under this act for one (1) year.

More questions? Let us know. And good luck.
How are you able to quote Wyoming statutes? I can barely remember what I said 5 minutes ago! lol...anyways I am coming from California.. but...I am a little foreign to the folks around these parts too..we will see how I fit in up there. I have been looking up so many things...particularly ..the arrest reports for the last couple of days..super interesting. Thanks for the luck..I have been thinking maybe I should know..where not to go? Like what to avoid if anything in terms of places/locations? Also, I don't want to offend anyone or be disrespectful..are there certain things prior Californians have done up there that I should avoid...for example wearing sf giants gear? What would happen if I wore a Michigan Wolverines t-shirt? Should I burn it? lol

Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
Oh, and one more thing. If you buy actual “snow tires”, you will want to take them off when the snow has melted off. They are made with a softer rubber and will wear out quickly when you run them on dry pavement. All terrain or all season tires won’t grip as good on the winter roads, but you can run them year around and they are way better than the highway tires you are likely used to.

So what’s the best decision for you? It might depend on how much tread you have left on your highway tires when you get here. Some people I know have 2 sets of tires that they change out with the seasons. Most people just have the all season tires, though.

Bottom line is that I wouldn’t want you to buy snow tires, leave them on year around, and then have to spend a bunch of money all over again because you wore them out in a year because you didn’t know any better.

Now go forth and conquer!
Hmmm..more info...will look into both..I don't know where I would store the snow tires in the off season or who would take them off/put them on between seasons..I suppose I could figure that out..or do it myself if it came to it..the all season tires though seem like a good idea...is there a good brand..or bad brand to avoid? I have about 40000 miles on my current tires...its probably time for a new set..so I could just go ahead and get some all season ones.

I love your last sentence..gonna save it !!

Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_pastor View Post
Congratulations on your move to Wyoming! My family and I are approaching the 10th anniversary of our move to Wyoming from Tennessee. These ten years have been amazing. Wyoming is a special place that we now consider home.

I still remember our first winter, trying to make it through the snow with our 2wd SUV. It was a challenge! That has been the only Wyoming winter without 4wd for us! I would encourage you to purchase either a 4wd or Awd vehicle. I like a vehicle with some ground clearance. This will help in deep snow and snow drifts. This is not such a necessity if you live in town, however. As for tires, I have always purchased all terrain or all season. They have worked well on our vehicles, even in the winter.

You've received a lot of good and helpful advice from others. Welcome to Wyoming!
I am so excited..I miss the midwest but I love the west and when I drive through Wyoming I just want to stay..but now I get to and find out if I am meant to be there..if I am tough enough..we will see lol..I will probably use my car this winter and get stuck a few times before I force myself to buy a new car/truck..I have been wanting a Jeep Renegade or something like it...but lots of people here have been suggesting a suburu I have never bought a car that wasn't part of Michigan's history..so a suburu would be a hard pill to swallow..my family may disown me lol but yeah..thanks for the warm welcome :-) How come you guys moved? Family in the area or anything?

Old 03-08-2018, 02:18 PM

507 posts, read 663,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
Haha, sorry I was super excited and all my sentences sorta ran together. ..I am sorta deciding when I get to move I know when my job starts I just will move when it makes sense for me. ..I am used to dry heat..desert heat..ok..what are round tires? I understand the stolen car piece and funky colors but..round tires? ..haha..thanks for filling me in on the Wyomish..outfit...nice I would have likely been confused for a bit lol..also that's funny about the news but makes sense considering the proximity. High school Rodeo...that sounds like so much fun ...Ok, I will plan to come up in June and look for somewhere to live if I have everything worked out by then..Dickey's? As in the chain with the yellow cups?

oh..and what do you mean by slow? I really like how time seems different up there...well..the whole country has different vibes and cultures around time..Kansas has always been favorite, not going to lie though..Wyoming..has a much better laid back kinda ease to it though. I will slow down as soon as I am out of the state...but my speedometer won't read it :-)
Well....there were some people trying to bring those square tires into Wyoming, so they make sure you
have the round ones. You might well enjoy the High School Finals Rodeo-it runs for a week and brings
top contestants from around the country-it's the "national championship". Will be in Rock Springs for
2019 as well. Usually moves between Rock Springs and Gillette, WY, but will go to Lincoln, Nebraska
after Rock Springs for a couple years. If you want to go western, there's Murdoch's and the Boot Barn.

I like Kansas, too. Became acquainted with city-data because for the first time in my life was thinking
about living somewhere else. Don't see it happening. But looked at Kansas a lot. Have spent a lot of
time there-all over the state, but while the house prices are really good, the taxes are crazy. I'd tell
Kansans, I like their milder weather, they look at me like "milder weather?" then ask where are you
from, I say Wyoming, and they say, "Oh, now we get it." Yellow cups, yeah...I like the beef brisket.

You can always trade up into a "Hayburner" here and then you won't have to worry about tires. (Now
whether to shoe or not to shoe is an endless debate) No stops at the gas station. Lots of low end
torque and "horsepower" but not practical for towing a trailer. Garage can be expensive and not always
close by. But they go in all kinds of weather. Insurance can be had, but is not required. And finally, in Wyoming, they have the right of way.....
Attached Thumbnails
Well, It's Official I am Moving to the Rock Springs Area-3be1a5c900000578-4092606-perez_and_collins_rode_their_horses_into_town.jpg  

Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've never had good luck with Craigslist so I don't use it. There are other cheaper apartments available but cost of living isn't cheap there. To respond to a question about slow, slow pace of life is taken VERY literally in Wyoming. People walk slowly in stores (I have seen turtles move faster), people often drive under the speed limit, and business moves slow.
I am pretty slow going myself..it's why the minute I enter California or the even the outskirts coming in from Reno or out of the desert into socal my anxiety starts to climb. Living here is exhausting..normal to everyone is not speaking to one another, not helping, not opening the door or holding it for anyone, not letting anyone merge, rushing to eat, to work, to talk, to think, its insane..sometimes I have to hike every few days just to get a break from the stimulation..everything is a wait..just in terms of lines..ice cream, pizza, bathroom, gas, everything..and I am in the suburbs but my town has 80000 plus people in it..the cities around it have about 80,000 plus too. People think I am the nicest person ever here..because I stop and speak and say please and thank you ..and try to be helpful if someone looks lost..I thought that was normal..nope..not here in Califonia! I daydream about Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and the open space there..I wanted Wyoming..but seriously I thought..pfft they aren't gonna let me come up there..but they have haha! Get ready I am a speed demon..just kidding..I am super snail slow..sometimes anyways

Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Okay I asked my friend whose husband works in Green River and on Facebook there's a group called Rentals-Rocksprings/Green River Area that could be a great resource for helping you find a place to live. I wish we'd know about Misty's List before we moved to Star Valley, because Craigslist wasn't any help for our area at all.

I agree that being from California and the go, go, go mentality that Wyoming is a much slower pace, but I love it. I love having an actual conversation with the checkout clerk's, or the bank tellers, you get to know people, your not just another face in the crowd.

The only thing that bugs me is the automatic door at the grocery store opens so flipping slow, I try to rush out the door and it's like Nah...you slow down Missy you're on WY time. It opens, it just slowly opens, it still cracks me up a year later because some days I forget and try to rush out the door. 😉
Thanks for the info on the facebook group checking it out now and it looks pretty good :-) It's funny because I am from the Midwest and because of that I always talk to people, its just normal to do so..everyone deserves to be spoken to and communicated with..in California, most people don't interact..not even just hello..they bump into you and keep walking..even if they knock you down..they don't care. I like going slow..:-) You should see me in the store lol..

At the same time..what you said..not another face in the crowd...I am friendly..I do speak..but..I am used to keeping to myself..I am pretty private..and a guarded..I dunno how that will go over up there.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Well....there were some people trying to bring those square tires into Wyoming, so they make sure you
have the round ones. You might well enjoy the High School Finals Rodeo-it runs for a week and brings
top contestants from around the country-it's the "national championship". Will be in Rock Springs for
2019 as well. Usually moves between Rock Springs and Gillette, WY, but will go to Lincoln, Nebraska
after Rock Springs for a couple years. If you want to go western, there's Murdoch's and the Boot Barn.

I like Kansas, too. Became acquainted with city-data because for the first time in my life was thinking
about living somewhere else. Don't see it happening. But looked at Kansas a lot. Have spent a lot of
time there-all over the state, but while the house prices are really good, the taxes are crazy. I'd tell
Kansans, I like their milder weather, they look at me like "milder weather?" then ask where are you
from, I say Wyoming, and they say, "Oh, now we get it." Yellow cups, yeah...I like the beef brisket.

You can always trade up into a "Hayburner" here and then you won't have to worry about tires. (Now
whether to shoe or not to shoe is an endless debate) No stops at the gas station. Lots of low end
torque and "horsepower" but not practical for towing a trailer. Garage can be expensive and not always
close by. But they go in all kinds of weather. Insurance can be had, but is not required. And finally, in Wyoming, they have the right of way.....
lol..you are pretty funny haha...I will check out the Rodeo..that sounds like so much fun! Go western? Is that possible? I thought you had to be born western or made so..I didnt think I could just put on some boots and be western lol then I am not sure it would be something I wanted...lol..i did look up those stores and I have to admit I am excited to spend time in there :-)

I love Kansas..but the worst part is the low wages..and the poverty..its awful..wait..weather?? hold on ..are you saying you guys get ICE STORMS??TORNADOS??? THUNDERSNOW???? Maybe..Wyoming isn't for me lol..just kidding !!

haha me on a horse?? I want to ride a horse so bad..I want to learn how to care for them and just ...yeah I am sure a horse would be a bad idea for me..I have no skill set..anywhere I can learn?? shoeing or not shoeing..how do you even decide?? You are sooo funny haha

Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM

I have another question...what is the best cell service up there? T-mobile? Sprint? Verizon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming