Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,432,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Californians not a problem over here. We need Greenie-Be-Gone in the 55 gallon drums. Just a seasonal stock item for summer weekends.

You know Greenies, at least modern ones, are just Californians once removed (moved to the Front Range from CA, then invade WY), so the formula would be the same, just a marketing/labeling change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM

507 posts, read 663,804 times
So you mean the Greenie-Be-Gone that they are charging an arm and a leg for is nothing but plain old Cali-Be-Gone with a different label? Disturbed, disturbed I am at this shameless chicanery.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 PM

77 posts, read 92,652 times
Hmm. I read that article and yeah most Californians never leave here..but when they do they want another metropolis but cheaper and with similar types of people. I am moving from a coastal area and I did consider Denver, Seattle, Portland, but I am originally from the midwest and tend to prioritize Midwestern values over California ones. I admit I am a democrat..but I am a conservative one..if that makes any sense..I guess that would make me a middle of the road sort of person. I don't "hate" diversity...but I don't "hate" I try to avoid things and extremes like that. I am also not moving to Wyoming for the Gun Laws..or the redness of the state. I am moving because people tend to be self reliant, respectful of others, the laws/regulations are simple and effective, the taxation makes sense, limited bureaucracy, quiet, open space, and the space and time to think and be present. I have thing for the early american ideas about bootstraps, taking care of yourself, and working hard...I have a thing for the vast spaces up there...and I just feel drawn in...I don't plan to Californize Wyoming..but I feel like western movies have done as much as they could in that department already.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Still enjoy going out to CA. Back about a month now from last time out there. But visiting is different than living there. CA is to me a real example of paradise lost, or how we can really screw up a good thing. Before my time, but it may have been a great place back in say the 50's. I was first out there in the late 70's as a teenager and it seemed way better then, too.

Not too big on No Cal, don't care for Bay area at all. I prefer So Cal or Central. LA is still fascinating if you don't live there. I think you find more real people, "everyday folks" in the smaller towns in the Central Valley or so. This last trip, first time I was in Yucaipa, and that town has a nice feel to it. I think my favorite town is Lompoc. Pismo is up there, too. Team ropers I know in Santa Margarita-can practice outdoors year round-no indoor facility needed. And what's supposed to be wrong with Merced?

I have a thing for In-N-Out Burger. Hoping to get Lynsi Snyder to put one in Wheatland. If we agree to put up a whole bunch of real looking fake palm trees, it could be a go. That could be awesome, get some attention from I-25 drivers who can't believe they're seeing palm trees in WY. Course' some lefties may claim that's evidence of global warming. Anyway just being from California doesn't make you a bad person. Just too bad all the sane people are having to bail out.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Still enjoy going out to CA. Back about a month now from last time out there. But visiting is different than living there. CA is to me a real example of paradise lost, or how we can really screw up a good thing. Before my time, but it may have been a great place back in say the 50's. I was first out there in the late 70's as a teenager and it seemed way better then, too.

Not too big on No Cal, don't care for Bay area at all. I prefer So Cal or Central. LA is still fascinating if you don't live there. I think you find more real people, "everyday folks" in the smaller towns in the Central Valley or so. This last trip, first time I was in Yucaipa, and that town has a nice feel to it. I think my favorite town is Lompoc. Pismo is up there, too. Team ropers I know in Santa Margarita-can practice outdoors year round-no indoor facility needed. And what's supposed to be wrong with Merced?

I have a thing for In-N-Out Burger. Hoping to get Lynsi Snyder to put one in Wheatland. If we agree to put up a whole bunch of real looking fake palm trees, it could be a go. That could be awesome, get some attention from I-25 drivers who can't believe they're seeing palm trees in WY. Course' some lefties may claim that's evidence of global warming. Anyway just being from California doesn't make you a bad person. Just too bad all the sane people are having to bail out.
California is pretty great...but it's packed full along the coast...i like the central valley too and I like the the north coast as well as the Tahoe/Truckee areas. I'm not too much a fan of southern California. I feel like culturally CA is just different then the rest of the country at least along the coast...it just lacks any cohesivness or sense of community. There is nothing to come together on not even a baseball team...I love the Giants but the next person is rooting for the A,s the Dodgers..etc. I think my fav town is Truckee or Bodega Bay. I do feel like there are a lot of haters of Californians..and I get that we pretty much destroyed Denver, Austin, Seattle, Portland...I could keep going but I'll stop lol ...I like to leave things as I found them and I'll keep my climate change, democratic, treehugging, civil liberties advocate, beliefs to myself :-) I'm at least not one of those Californians with hella leftist bumper stickers all over my car. Also...i drivr a tiny car...at least it's American though 😄

Old 06-26-2018, 02:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,300,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
California is pretty great...but it's packed full along the coast...i like the central valley too and I like the the north coast as well as the Tahoe/Truckee areas. I'm not too much a fan of southern California. I feel like culturally CA is just different then the rest of the country at least along the coast...it just lacks any cohesivness or sense of community. There is nothing to come together on not even a baseball team...I love the Giants but the next person is rooting for the A,s the Dodgers..etc. I think my fav town is Truckee or Bodega Bay. I do feel like there are a lot of haters of Californians..and I get that we pretty much destroyed Denver, Austin, Seattle, Portland...I could keep going but I'll stop lol ...I like to leave things as I found them and I'll keep my climate change, democratic, treehugging, civil liberties advocate, beliefs to myself :-) I'm at least not one of those Californians with hella leftist bumper stickers all over my car. Also...i drivr a tiny car...at least it's American though 😄
early 70s , a stud mill was built in Afton , lot of California loggers moved to Star Valley . most all have stayed.
My wife's a valley girl whos family moved to Truckee where she grew up. Her Grand folks lived in Sebastopol, so we spent time at Bodega Bay.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:12 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
We're everywhere, LOL! I grew up in SoCal, and spent over a year in WY, between Cody and Thermopolis while the X worked on a ranch. I worked at the Holiday Inn in Therm. Loved it there. Went on cattle drives; never forget that.

Montana, Colorado, Minnesota, Vermont, Oregon, Utah, even Texas. Trailering my horse everywhere.

Except this final resting place. The old knees won't let me get on a horse anymore. What a drag.

You guys are lucky. WY defies description. Like the Powder River with its awesome mineral formations.....

Old 06-29-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
early 70s , a stud mill was built in Afton , lot of California loggers moved to Star Valley . most all have stayed.
My wife's a valley girl whos family moved to Truckee where she grew up. Her Grand folks lived in Sebastopol, so we spent time at Bodega Bay.
I feel like Californians from back then probably were somewhat different than the tech/hipster bunch present now. I've been told I'm a hipster myself hopefully I don't bring that to Wyoming in my moving truck next week ! I will have to get to Star Valley!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:04 AM

Bodega Bay is nice. Didn't spend much time there, but that area down to Pt Reyes and Stinson Beach is nice. It's been awhile, but there were still cattle ranches in the area. Liked to stay in Novato. It felt like a real town. Probably different now. Could be happy and never go over the bridge south. Little bitty hamburger place across from the marina in Sausalito,
a Greek guy I think. Really good burgers and go picnic at the marina, but parking was a hassle last time there. Only stopped in Truckee once at Pizza Hut, but like the feel of Auburn, stayed there several times.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:53 PM

823 posts, read 1,788,233 times
Interesting to find this topic. I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but my dear friend is escaping Southern California this weekend and has chosen southern WY of all places! You have a beautiful state and I might drive out there next weekend to help him with the final move.

I have always wanted to drive cross-country, but have never done so. How is the drive to WY? It looks like a simple enough drive on the 15 and 80. I've been through the mountain passes to Las Vegas and can handle that. It's the narrow, steep, winding mountain roads without side barriers that I do not like. I can't swim, nor can I fly, so don't want to accidentally drive over a cliff.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming