Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 26,851 times

Advertisements

I found an article from 2006 saying that they were planning on building a walmart in rawlins and it could be open by July 2007. Just wondering if they ever built, still planning on building it or did the plans fall through.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Come on anyone got any input? It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
I didn't see any sign of a Wal-Mart store in Rawlins when I was there last summer and haven't heard my husband mention one being built.

Are you a Wal-Mart fan?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

I just like having choices, and Im fairly sure wal mart will have merchendise the local stores carry. Wal mart or not however, if Im offered a job in rawlins Im taking it.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
I am a shopper that lives in the land of Wal-Mart - Arkansas. I have a love/hate thing going with that chain of stores. I have seen them come into a town and the next thing you know all the smaller stores close up. Since Sam died the stuff they sell comes from all over the world - no more Made in America. The variety of items gets limited once they run the other stores out.

In Rawlins there are at least three stores that I had no trouble finding what I wanted for basic shopping. The town was not so large that I had any trouble taking the time to go to all three to comparison shop for stuff I wanted to take that kind of time shopping for like a new coffee pot Prada carried Bunn's - Wal-Mart doesn't.

I heard several people complain about their grocery store but once again I found items that my husband said I would never find - he had shopped there more than I - but I looked in various places until I figured out where they displayed what I wanted.

I couldn't buy my shoes where I bought my coffee but I was still a happy girl because I don't buy my shoes at Wal-Mart anyway. Please don't let the lack of a Wal-Mart keep you from Rawlins. It's an old some what small town but liveable. Housing was a problem at one time but I haven't seen anyone on here lately looking for a place.

Casper and Cheyenne are not that far away for unique shopping that the stores in Rawlins may not carry. Like maybe clothes, shoes, etc. - I do know there where several shops in town that I did not get a chance to visit so maybe I am wrong. There is a gym and a cool park that plays music on Thursday evening in the summer. I am going to become a disc golf player - my nephews have me fixed up with discs and a few lessons! The park has a disc golf course.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 12,169 times
Default Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
Come on anyone got any input? It would be greatly appreciated.
No there is no Walmart. They bought the land but are not foolish enough to build here. No employees. I honestly would hate to see what would happen to Rawlins if Walmart comes here. The small business people that have served us their whole lives would go under.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:24 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestofthree View Post
No there is no Walmart. They bought the land but are not foolish enough to build here. No employees. I honestly would hate to see what would happen to Rawlins if Walmart comes here. The small business people that have served us their whole lives would go under.
I have to say for your sake & the sake of the mom-pop stores - THANK GOD. There are Walmarts close enuff that it would have surprised me if they put one in there. We have our weekend "pilgramage" from 100 miles away in several directions coming to Cody to Walmart. The grocery prices were great at first until they got ppl used to shopping there & prices slowly rose & rose & now some things are less expensive at Albertson's - such as milk. And of course we were one of the LUCKY ones who had a reg walmart & then they built a super walmart so for YEARS we had that big ugly box store with nothing in it. It is being used now by Cody Laboratories (they make medications) but they can't POSSIBLY be using all of it. And is still BUTT-ugly. Cody Labs would have built a much nicer place if they had found affordable land; taking the old building out would have cost more than rebuilding I am SURE. They are EYESORES. And once you have a walmart your clothes are the same as others in town. Is so funny - how often you see ppl wearing your wardrobe in different sizes & colors. UGH!!! That is one reason I purchase online. So don't shed tears over no walmart - IMHO...consider it a blessing. And their employment practices are horrible - they will "fire" many ppl at once & then soon after do a large hiring. WTF??

Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 12,072 times
I personally think that walmart should come to rawlins. This place is a dump and downtown could be charming if they would put more into it. Rawlins has potential.There are time in the winter you cant leave town and nothing is open 24-7. All my kids are out of diapers but if i had a baby i would at one point be screwed if i needed diapers or formula. I think everyone that is making the desicion to not have a walmart come here lives in a bubble. Gas prices are always going up and people cant always leave town. There are families that come here to work at the prison or oil fields and its because nothing is here. There is nothing for kids here neither.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 12,072 times
And thats why half of the time familes leave here in rawlins because it not a good,enjoyable place.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Are you sure you want a Wal-Mart? Wal-Mart in a town of 9,000 people will give you less choices instead of more. 6 month after Wal-Mart opens it's doors, all of the mom and pop stores will be closed. If it's a Super Wal-Mart, your current grocery stores will be closed.

There will be job opportunities. All the people that are currently working in stores, will now be able to apply at Wal-Mart.

A year after Wal-Mart opens, there will be only 1 place to shop in Rawlins. So your choices will be what they have on their rack.

You will no longer walk into a store and be called by name, instead you will be greeted by pasted on smiles and a statement that they are required to make, "Hi, Welcome to Wal-Mart". "You have a nice day". And they have no idea who they said it to, they just know if they don't say it, they'll be fired.

You'll have a store that is 99% merchandise made in China. You'll have to explore new things every month because Wal-Mart is real good at not carrying what they had last month. If you find a spice you like, buy a bunch because it won't be there the next time you shop.

Again, are you sure you want a Wal-Mart in that small town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming