Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,881 times

Advertisements

There has been alot of oil drilling around Douglas the past few years and also the construction of a gas plant hence the high demand for rental housing but it also sounds like the oil fields are starting to lay off due to the price drops recently so I'd keep looking (many of the workers are not "from" the area). Local facebook groups are probably the best way to find short term/rental housing, or craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 PM

180 posts, read 215,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have never been to Douglas but I have a small business that regularly comes in contact with temps (for the FS / YNP / local and regional ranches). They come from all over the country, form tight bonds with other temps they work alongside for the duration, and it's an awesome way to spend a summer. If you have no ties and want to spend your summer outdoors with fun loving people who are there for the same reason, I say do it.
I have a Geology degree and Environmental Science minor. I'm hoping to parlay this position, if offered, into full-time permanent position with the Fed. I'm hoping if I get this it isnt just one summer and I can relocate.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
There has been alot of oil drilling around Douglas the past few years and also the construction of a gas plant hence the high demand for rental housing but it also sounds like the oil fields are starting to lay off due to the price drops recently so I'd keep looking (many of the workers are not "from" the area). Local facebook groups are probably the best way to find short term/rental housing, or craigslist
#1 reason I've avoided the energy industry like the plague. I value job security.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Hmmmm ... doesn't working for the NF Service in the west mean you're a long way from anything, regardless? It ain't Ohio no mo' LOL.... I say take the plunge! We met a young lady ranger in winter in Yellowstone who was from east TN. Sounded like she's not going back, despite her home area being fairly pretty.
yes...On a hot summer afternoon... take the LUSK plunge!!!! BTDT many hot afternoons!
<1 hr east!
https://www.distance-cities.com/dist...-to-douglas-wy
https://www.townoflusk.org/?SEC=E681...6-B43F7679FCDA

Old 03-29-2020, 07:04 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I have a Geology degree and Environmental Science minor. I'm hoping to parlay this position, if offered, into full-time permanent position with the Fed. I'm hoping if I get this it isnt just one summer and I can relocate.
The geology out west is so much more varied than here back east. But I suspect you know that already...

Old 03-29-2020, 07:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,453 times
The Bighorn-Basin is about as varied as one can get (geology-wise) and you see alot of the planet's history while driving through the Wind River Canyon.

Last edited by Ltdumbear; 03-29-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-29-2020, 07:32 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,508 times
The Adirondaks are part of the Appalachians, and that has been said about them. But all sort of mountain ranges have been formed at very, very different times. And some of the uplifted volcanic rocks and sedimentary rocks that form mountains are not very old rocks at all. And of course, volcanic mountains like in the Cascades are very new ... in geologic terms.

The Teton's are just babies; the did not exist as mountains until recently, but some of the rock is older. Go 40-50 straight east to the Wind River range and the rocks are 2.5-3 billion years old.

Look up continental drift and 'Pangea'. IIRC, at one time long, long ago, the areas like WY and CO were thought to be south of the equator! There are a lot of good videos online for geology in WY.

If you like geology, the western part of the Americas is a good place to be.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The Adirondaks are part of the Appalachians, and that has been said about them. But all sort of mountain ranges have been formed at very, very different times. And some of the uplifted volcanic rocks and sedimentary rocks that form mountains are not very old rocks at all. And of course, volcanic mountains like in the Cascades are very new ... in geologic terms.

The Teton's are just babies; the did not exist as mountains until recently, but some of the rock is older. Go 40-50 straight east to the Wind River range and the rocks are 2.5-3 billion years old.

Look up continental drift and 'Pangea'. IIRC, at one time long, long ago, the areas like WY and CO were thought to be south of the equator! There are a lot of good videos online for geology in WY.

If you like geology, the western part of the Americas is a good place to be.
Bingo!

The number of orogenies out west is incredible - http://www.luckysci.com/2015/10/how-...can-orogenies/

I got to take a trip to Utah in college for two weeks during the summer to dig for dino bones at our school's claim.

As for the oldest, those would be the Barberton Mountains in South Africa at nearly 3.5+ billion - and the planet is only around 4.5-ish billion. I figured the oldest would have been in Australia since the oldest zircons on the planet are found there, but I was close - they're second oldest. lol

Old 04-01-2020, 12:07 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes...On a hot summer afternoon... take the LUSK plunge!!!! BTDT many hot afternoons!
<1 hr east!
Sounds like a nice little town with very little population just on the border next to Nebraska below South Dakota

Old 04-01-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
<1 hr east!
Does sound like a nice little town, little bigger than my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming