Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 PM

180 posts, read 215,104 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd offer my thoughts for folks who may be looking to move to Wyoming in the Douglas area.

Backstory: Moved to Douglas in June 2020 for a temporary seasonal position with the Forest Service. I've since been hired on full-time permanent. I currently live in Douglas with about a 7min drive to work. I'm 36yr old hetero male with no kids and no significant other.

Douglas is bigger than my hometown of Beverly OH by about a factor of 5. Few more amenities available in a town this size compared to back home. My temporary residence (FS rents out my current apartment for the seasonals to occupy) is very close to work. Gas usage is very good, especially in my Jeep. If I only drove to work and some errands, I could theoretically get almost a month out of one tank of gas.

Good amount of local businesses to support rather than big chains. Biggest chain here is probably the Safeway grocery store. Used to be a Shopko before I got here that closed down. Town is on the North Platte river, so fishing is relatively easy to do. Has a nice cross-country track out back of the high school that I use for rucking. Town also has an outdoor gun range and golf course (though I've not been to either).

While I've not done any myself, this place is great for hunting. Lots of public land to the north of town with a wide variety of animals to go after such as mule deer, elk, and antelope.

Dislikes:

Lack of housing for single persons with no dependents. It's downright impossible to find something here for a single person who can't afford a mortgage. I'm in the odd position where I make too much to qualify for low-income housing, but can't afford anything that's not a roach motel. Finding a rental that allows pets is also near impossible.

The weather can also be an issue, though it hasn't really been for me yet. Very windy, but I don't mind it. Not a lot of precipitation, not much snow yet this winter either. Very arid climate. Big issues with interstate closures when wind or snow decide to come through, always have to check before you leave if they've closed the roads down or not.

Distance to anywhere with anything is also a big issue. Thankfully, I-25 is 80mph, so you can travel quickly, but you still have a long way to go to get anywhere (wish my Jeep liked to go 80mph... lol). Casper is about 45min away and has the closest shopping areas with big box stores. Cheyenne is 2 hours to the south, Gillette is 2 hours to the north. Wyoming has certainly changed my perspective on what is and isn't close.

Outdoor recreation is also pretty sparse. No mountain bike trails, no real trails of any kind for hiking aside from the cross country track. They do have a small skate park though. Glendo Reservior is about 30min to the south but does have some bike trails and hiking trails.

Conclusion:

I don't think Douglas is for me. I'm not sure Wyoming is either. I grew up in a rural town in Appalachia, but I'm not "country". I hate country music, I find cowboy hats ridiculous, massive trucks with lift kits make me laugh... But I'm not a city guy either. I don't do crowded, I don't like the expense of urban areas, etc. I thought Douglas might be a good mix for me - plenty of space, but plenty of things to do. I just don't feel like I fit in here.

My current plan is to stick it out here in my position until I get a year under my belt as a GS9 so I can apply for GS11 positions. Best case scenario is that I'll get promoted to GS7 in June, GS9 the June after that, and then one more year as a GS9. So I'm looking at another 2.5-3 years here.

I do have to move out of this temporary housing in the next few months, so I'm currently looking to move to Casper (as is my roommate). A lot more housing options there, more recreation activities there, more amenities and the like. I think Casper will be a better fit for me than Douglas. Thankfully we're mostly teleworking now and if I do move there, the guy I'm rooming with is cool with carpooling. The idea being that we can telework two days and then take turns driving the other two days (we work 4-10s instead of 5-8s). Help with gas and all that.

Stay in Casper a few years and then think about where I might go next. I lived in Columbus in Ohio for about 6 years back in the mid-2000s. I really liked Columbus, so I might even move back to Ohio. I'd miss the outdoors though - the views and space out here is just amazing. I've also considered maybe Montana, around Glacier National Park or something. Possibly even the Denver metro area.

I guess we'll see - hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 01:41 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
[mod cut]

Have you looked into Gilette or Powell?

Last edited by volosong; 01-12-2021 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: No need to quote the entire, lengthy post when your comment does not refer to it.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The problem with both of those is I work in Douglas. A two-hour trip from Gillette to Douglas a couple times per week is a bit too far. Especially in my Jeep.

Powell is 4.5hrs from Douglas - that's out of the question.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 AM

60 posts, read 56,410 times
https://trib.com/business/energy/fed...f06b1549a.html

Any thoughts on how this will impact Casper/Douglas

Old 01-11-2021, 09:39 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
The problem with both of those is I work in Douglas. A two-hour trip from Gillette to Douglas a couple times per week is a bit too far. Especially in my Jeep.

Powell is 4.5hrs from Douglas - that's out of the question.
Yes that is too much time and would not work out.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I thought I'd offer my thoughts for folks who may be looking to move to Wyoming in the Douglas area.

Conclusion:

I don't think Douglas is for me. I'm not sure Wyoming is either. I grew up in a rural town in Appalachia, but I'm not "country". ...But I'm not a city guy either. I don't do crowded, I don't like the expense of urban areas, etc. I thought Douglas might be a good mix for me - plenty of space, but plenty of things to do. I just don't feel like I fit in here.

My current plan is to stick it out here in my position until I get a year under my belt as a GS9 so I can apply for GS11 positions. ... I really liked Columbus, so I might even move back to Ohio. I'd miss the outdoors though - the views and space out here is just amazing. I've also considered maybe Montana, around Glacier National Park or something. Possibly even the Denver metro area.
Thx for the details, that should help many others.

Future options...

As a single person.. Consider places with a few more things to do and access for other travel.
Western Slope CO (Gunnison area or Grand Junction)
Western WA = no income tax state too (Olympic Pennisula) Or Sandpoint, or Moscow, ID... Whitefish, / Columbia Falls, MT

Keep your eyes on BPA positions as well (and BLM jobs). They use a variety of skillsets and have some great job locations. (Including MT, ID, OR, WA)

Have you considered RV living seasonally? I have several single friends that do so during remote job assignments in ND, SD, WY, CO, TX, NM. They get a motel or rental for the really rough weeks. One has a really nice apartment above a garage near Sturgis that he keeps rented FT as a place to stay or drop by when he wants a break in SD. It is very cheap. Sometimes ranches may have extra housing seasonally (winters more likely), then you could stay in RV in summer.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:54 AM

233 posts, read 276,838 times
Quote:
Really?
It's now obvious to me, you have never looked at a map. And, probably have never visited the state

Old 01-15-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_chic View Post
https://trib.com/business/energy/fed...f06b1549a.html

Any thoughts on how this will impact Casper/Douglas
At this point I think it's mostly with the BLM as we haven't received any APDs (Application for Permit to Drill) yet this year (fiscal or calendar), though they have contacted us to let us know stuff is coming. Might pick up in the Sprinng/Summer after it starts getting warmer.

Honestly, I think that Biden and his Cabinet's energy policy will have a greater effect. If they keep pushing harder and harder emissions standards and try to follow California with outlawing internal combustion engines, I don't think it'll do much.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thx for the details, that should help many others.

Future options...

As a single person.. Consider places with a few more things to do and access for other travel.
Western Slope CO (Gunnison area or Grand Junction)
Western WA = no income tax state too (Olympic Pennisula) Or Sandpoint, or Moscow, ID... Whitefish, / Columbia Falls, MT

Keep your eyes on BPA positions as well (and BLM jobs). They use a variety of skillsets and have some great job locations. (Including MT, ID, OR, WA)

Have you considered RV living seasonally? I have several single friends that do so during remote job assignments in ND, SD, WY, CO, TX, NM. They get a motel or rental for the really rough weeks. One has a really nice apartment above a garage near Sturgis that he keeps rented FT as a place to stay or drop by when he wants a break in SD. It is very cheap. Sometimes ranches may have extra housing seasonally (winters more likely), then you could stay in RV in summer.
My roommate/co-worker worked for about 8 seasons as a timber seasonal in Gunnison, so he was a bit disappointed when he got here. He's used to a bunch of skiiing and mountain bike trails, etc. We're both excited for spring, though, to get into trout fishing on the North Platte.

He's just started renting a house outside of Casper, so he's excited to get there for the skiing on Casper Mountain as well as the trails up there he can bike on. Also closer to the Miracle Mile for the fishing.

As for jobs, I typically search within my job series and then winnow down by location. I'm 1301 (Physical Scientist).

I hadn't looked into the RV living, appreciate the suggestion!

Old 01-15-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yes that is too much time and would not work out.
After I replied, I re-read your comment and figured you meant looking in those areas for work once it's time, rather than commuting to Douglas from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming