Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:38 PM

108 posts, read 413,248 times

Advertisements

If I leave Denver at noon on a weekday in July, what time would you expect me to arrive in Thermopolis?

What time does it get dark that time of year in Thermopolis?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,689 times
Well, since the last 235 miles will be 2-lane, it depends a little (in July ESPECIALLY) it depends upon how many motor home caravans, boating caravans heading to Boysen Reservoir outside Wind River Canyon, but I would allow 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 hours. If you drive at night you can probably shave an hour off of it. It is about 420-440 miles depending upon where in "Denver" you are leaving from. But at night you have to be REALLY cautious about wildlife (and cattle/horses) on the highways - ESPECIALLY between Casper & Shoshoni - about 97 miles. VERY populated with deer & pronghorn. So that gives you an idea. It is 75 MPH on the interstate & 65 MPH from there to T-mop.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 AM

thanks for your reply wyomama. We will be coming from the airport in Denver. Landing eta of 10:30AM. By the time we get luggage and car we should plan 2 hours for that or any delay. I suspect we'd leave Denver around noonish . I am concerned about the night drive. perhaps we should have back up lodging in Casper?
thanks again.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM

330 posts, read 1,096,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjinnh View Post
thanks for your reply wyomama. We will be coming from the airport in Denver. Landing eta of 10:30AM. By the time we get luggage and car we should plan 2 hours for that or any delay. I suspect we'd leave Denver around noonish . I am concerned about the night drive. perhaps we should have back up lodging in Casper?
thanks again.
On I-25 from Denver to Casper, it's about 3.5 hours at 75mph (again, provided you don't get stuck behind the caravans of cars/motorhomes/etc)...then it's about 3 (maybe 2.5 hours) from Casper to Thermopolis (at 65mph). Most people don't drive the 65mph on the 2-lane though (I don't advocate speeding, just saying that most people drive about 70-75mph).

In July, it won't get dark until around 10pm, so I don't think you'd need to get lodging here in Casper unless you are tired from your trip and need the rest. There's a lot to do here....but if you can push on, I'd do that. (lodging can be expensive when you just "drop on in")....

hope that helps....have a safe and wonderful trip through Wonderful Wyoming!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,483 times
Six hours should do it for you, even at night. I lived in Thermop for 13 years and drove the roads in the area a bunch. The drive through the Wind River canyon south of Thermop isn't long (20 miles) but can be slow moving due to SLOW traffic. If people move along like they should you can go the speed limit, but a lot of folks poke along and there aren't many places in the canyon where you can pass. It gets totally dark in Thermop around 10:00 during the middle of the summer, but of course at about 9:00 dusk starts to settle in. There should be no reason to stay the night in Casper. You'll be in Thermop wayyyy before dark! Have fun!!!
Georgia

Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Nah - unless you are tired from your plane trip, you should be able to get to T-mop w/o a prob. The biggest pain is the 2-lane for the last 3 or so hours of the trip. And like tekape said, the animal situation won't become an issue until around 9'ish at night - about twilight. One thing - IF you decide to stay in a motel in Casper do NOT and I REPEAT - do NOT STAY at the motel along the interestate on the left side (heading towards T'mop) that has a riverboat wheel on it. I am not naming it but you will recognize the one I mention. I stayed there once - reservations were screwed up & when I returned to the front desk, I was propositioned openly by another "guest" who was a drunk oil field worker in town for the wknd. There was a truckload of them sitting JUST OUTSIDE the front door drinking LOUDLY in the parking lot. And the electrical problems in the room were nothing short of illegal, not just "not code". Most lights did not work & everything was plugged into one outlet in one of those outlet inserts that you can plug 6 or 9 things into it. It had 2 lamps (1 worked), the TV, refrigerator, and something else plugged into it. Was horrible. I refused to use any electricity & unplugged & opened the fridge!! But was a real flea-bag & found out since then they also rent rooms by the hour from a local. JUST a warning - not a great place. Has been picked up by one of the lower end motel franchises but doesn't look that bad from outside. But there are several nice places to stay if you decide you need to just as you get into Casper, in Evansville (a "suburb") - the first exit - has several good restaurants & several nice motels & gas. So - have a great trip!!! How long will you be visiting? And were from??? T-mop hot springs are a really great thing & the Wind River canyon just before you get into town ROCKS. I LOVE it!!!! Are you visiting fam? Just friendly nosy - a wyo thing...LOL...

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM

330 posts, read 1,096,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
Nah - unless you are tired from your plane trip, you should be able to get to T-mop w/o a prob. The biggest pain is the 2-lane for the last 3 or so hours of the trip. And like tekape said, the animal situation won't become an issue until around 9'ish at night - about twilight. One thing - IF you decide to stay in a motel in Casper do NOT and I REPEAT - do NOT STAY at the motel along the interestate on the left side (heading towards T'mop) that has a riverboat wheel on it. I am not naming it but you will recognize the one I mention. I stayed there once - reservations were screwed up & when I returned to the front desk, I was propositioned openly by another "guest" who was a drunk oil field worker in town for the wknd. There was a truckload of them sitting JUST OUTSIDE the front door drinking LOUDLY in the parking lot. And the electrical problems in the room were nothing short of illegal, not just "not code". Most lights did not work & everything was plugged into one outlet in one of those outlet inserts that you can plug 6 or 9 things into it. It had 2 lamps (1 worked), the TV, refrigerator, and something else plugged into it. Was horrible. I refused to use any electricity & unplugged & opened the fridge!! But was a real flea-bag & found out since then they also rent rooms by the hour from a local. JUST a warning - not a great place. Has been picked up by one of the lower end motel franchises but doesn't look that bad from outside. But there are several nice places to stay if you decide you need to just as you get into Casper, in Evansville (a "suburb") - the first exit - has several good restaurants & several nice motels & gas. So - have a great trip!!! How long will you be visiting? And were from??? T-mop hot springs are a really great thing & the Wind River canyon just before you get into town ROCKS. I LOVE it!!!! Are you visiting fam? Just friendly nosy - a wyo thing...LOL...
OMG Wyomama!!! ROFL! I didn't think anyone really ever stayed there (it really is creepy)!

There are LOTS of new hotels too....as you're coming in from the east....the C'Mon Inn is on the North side of I-25; plus they're building 3 or 4 on the South side before you hit Sams/Walmart in the McMurry Business Park; then it seems like one big long string of hotels along I-25 until you exit Casper (from Holiday Inn, to Ramkota, to Motel 8).

I agree with the gals....Wind River Canyon is gorgeous....but people tend to really drive S--L--O--W--L--Y through it...there's tunnels you drive under all the while driving along the river....it's absolutely GORGEOUS. Just don't be put off by the "scent" of T-mop....it's very distinctive!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Well, is the mineral hot springs & so that's what you gonna get, that's for sure. But how good it feels on arthritis is worth it. Wish it wasn't QUITE so far for me - with the cost of gas I can't afford to go there very often anymore. Yeah - I stayed at that dump - I never thought it would be SO DISGUSTING!!! Just needed to spend the night in Casper before going back to Cody cause otherwise was going to get home at about 4 AM. NASTY!!!!!! The C'Mon in as a great rep in MT & would expect the one in Evansville would be nice too!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks so much for all the tips...especially the notell motel

WyoMama, we are traveling on a vacation from New Hampshire. We are so excited about this trip. It is the first vacation as empy nesters.
Since you asked, here is our itinerary:

Day 1 Denver-Thermopolis
Day 2 Thermopolis to Red Lodge (to experience both Chief Joseph and Beartooth highways, since we hear they are beautiful)
Day 3 Red Lodge to Cooke City & Yellowstone NP
Days 4-10 staying inside YNP
Days 10-13 Grant Teton NP
Days 13-19 Rocky Mountain NP

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM

A LOT of driving but a HECK of a lot of beauty!!!!! Not one route you are taking I haven't been on several times!!!! Glad you are coming in July - sometimes Beartooth doesn't open until mid-June or 3rd wk. and then there are still tall (10-12') snow walls where they break thru drifts. They can snowboard & x-country ski up on top nearly all summer long. Very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming