Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:08 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,422,396 times

Advertisements

This trip will be both a short vacation and a short "checking it out" type trip.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,634,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
This trip will be both a short vacation and a short "checking it out" type trip.
Please don't ruin it by wearing baseball caps, T-shirts, and shorts. They belong in garbage cans, not on cowboys.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Please don't ruin it by wearing baseball caps, T-shirts, and shorts. They belong in garbage cans, not on cowboys.
Please remember, I'm a former rodeo cowboy (team roping) and that was only part-time/weekends. After 13 years of "swinging a loop on weekends" it all ended around 1997, but I kept my PRCA card and helped in the arena for different stock contractors. I was never a ranch cowboy. My full-time job was working in Purchasing/Inventory Management for electronics manufacturers and senior healthcare.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:09 AM

2,505 posts, read 1,883,244 times
Like we could forget?

Old 08-26-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Like we could forget?
Well, when there are folks that keep saying the word "cowboy", have to remind them of this.........."not ranch, but former rodeo."

Old 08-26-2022, 11:43 AM

Well, well, well, we just found out something about Sheridan that could be a real "deal breaker" for us visiting there and even moving there.

Anyway, I have the App My Bighorns and I see very little-to-nothing in the Weekly/Daily Events section about western events or rodeo/ranching discussions. I was quite surprised, but have been told on this forum, "Wyoming isn't necessarily the Wyoming you think it is. Parts of Wyoming have really changed." So, apparently, that is very true.

However, a very large, advertised as "the biggest in America" cattle auction going on at the Ramada Plaza. But, other events listed would seem to be going on where we currently live.

Guess we are now going to look at Cody.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:54 PM

215 posts, read 668,842 times
I think that has been said over and over. Other than the one prca rodeo a year and then college, high school and county rodeos there really not that much going on here as far as rodeo. As far as Cody goes, they have one PRCA rodeo once a year and then the Night Rodeo during the summer. The night rodeo usually is college kids and ranchers. Sheridan is probably not what you are wanting. Also in Cody you had better like wind cuz they have it alot. That was the main reason i had to get out of there.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,634,359 times
Quote:
Well, well, well, we just found out something about Sheridan that could be a real "deal breaker" for us visiting there and even moving there.

Anyway, I have the App My Bighorns and I see very little-to-nothing in the Weekly/Daily Events section about western events or rodeo/ranching discussions. I was quite surprised, but have been told on this forum, "Wyoming isn't necessarily the Wyoming you think it is. Parts of Wyoming have really changed." So, apparently, that is very true.

However, a very large, advertised as "the biggest in America" cattle auction going on at the Ramada Plaza. But, other events listed would seem to be going on where we currently live.

You would prefer this.

https://westerndesignconference.com/...ule-2021-2.pdf

Old 08-26-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
I think that has been said over and over. Other than the one prca rodeo a year and then college, high school and county rodeos there really not that much going on here as far as rodeo. As far as Cody goes, they have one PRCA rodeo once a year and then the Night Rodeo during the summer. The night rodeo usually is college kids and ranchers. Sheridan is probably not what you are wanting. Also in Cody you had better like wind cuz they have it alot. That was the main reason i had to get out of there.
Ok, but more wind that even Cheyenne gets?? And, we are not, and I will repeat, "we are not" looking for just rodeo. We just want a friendlier, more country and even western atmosphere, than where we currently live.

We already know that Cheyenne and Casper don't seem to fit what we want. Wonder if Laramie is really that much of a "college town" like I've read. When we were there in 2002, during their downtown parade and rodeo, sure didn't look like a "college town" to us. Looked like a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,262,375 times
Quote:

Yep, WY and every other possibility (of which are few)...
are getting smaller and smaller.
With SD, AZ, CA, UT, NM is a no go. MT may still be a remote possibility, but very short on VA medical services and HUGE state if you are not into driving much as you age.
https://www.va.gov/montana-health-care/ (Ft Hamilton)

My weighted spreadsheet (with exhaustive details) clearly revealed that I needed to stay put during this season of retirement, tho that was not in my top 3 choices, or my desire.

Things, people, and places change, many people move around a lot in retirement yrs (40 - 50 yrs of retirement for me).

My mom tried 5 states during retirement, enjoyed them all for a season, but her moves were difficult. Big homes, lots of expensive furniture, tools, specialty vehicles, boats, motorcycles, and RV's. She would do a big rennovation each time, knocking out walls, adding windows, beams, basements... Selling for a profit and then leaving. She never did WY as a home, but best friend lived in Lander, Riverton, Dubois, and Cody. We spent 10+ yrs visiting and transporting my dad to Sheridan, WY VA.

At age 70+, I would not be burning the few hours of remaining daylight 'wondering' or ruminating. (Don't wear out your teeth chewing-the-cud, you only get ONE set.)

4 day car rental will narrow down your WY and southern MT choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming