Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 12:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,301,687 times

Advertisements

A moment ago
Add bookmark
Sue found it under the calf sled cleaning up the sheep barn so we can finally shear. it was only about a foot long, it had rattles , it is shorter now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 07:12 PM

561 posts, read 440,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
A moment ago
Add bookmark
Sue found it under the calf sled cleaning up the sheep barn so we can finally shear. it was only about a foot long, it had rattles , it is shorter now.
Are rattlesnakes native to WY or were they brought in and are an invasive species? I wasn’t aware they traveled much fatter north than Las Vegas or southern UT.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:43 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,301,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Are rattlesnakes native to WY or were they brought in and are an invasive species? I wasn’t aware they traveled much fatter north than Las Vegas or southern UT.
In Wyoming, Prairie Rattlesnakes occur in all counties east of the Continental Divide and in Carbon County west of the Divide. The Prairie Rattlesnake’s diet consists of rodents such as ground squirrels, prairie dogs, chipmunks and cottontail rabbits, as well as amphibians, lizards, other snakes, and birds. They hunt during the cooler parts of the day (Baxter and Stone 1985). Prairie Rattlesnakes bear 4 to 21 live young in August or September (Baxter and Stone 1985). Females generally reproduce biennially, but some may reproduce annually or triennially (Ernst and Ernst 2003). They overwinter in large aggregations in deep underground crevices, prairie dog burrows, or other abandoned mammal burrows and usually emerge in April or May. Not averse to water, Prairie Rattlesnakes are occasionally found swimming in large reservoirs (Baxter and Stone 1985).

Old 06-22-2022, 08:26 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
In the east, rattlesnakes range all the way up into southern New England and into the upper midwest.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:07 AM

561 posts, read 440,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
In the east, rattlesnakes range all the way up into southern New England and into the upper midwest.
That’s fascinating to me.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:45 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
Just don't mistake the rattle for a cicada.... Like I did with my back turned to the woodpile several years ago. That was quite the dramatic realization that it wasn't a cicada!

Old 06-24-2022, 09:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,722,533 times
Bull snakes overwinter with rattlers and sometimes imitate the buzzing “rattle” sound after that. People would freak out at what they assumed was a rattlesnake, only to have a ranger ID it as a (nonvenomous) bull snake.

Clever use of imitative weaponry!

Old 06-25-2022, 04:48 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
That’s fascinating to me.
There are native rattlesnakes in every US State in the lower 48 except for Maine and strangely, Rhode Island.

I would imagine that in Wyoming they have a much more limited active season than in states that are warmer/lower.

I'd be curious what months are "watch out fer snakes months" in Wyoming.

Where I live it is April through early November.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:25 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,407,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
A moment ago
Add bookmark
Our cats would find them when they came out of a hole and chow down. Little ones don't have the developed venom sacs or fangs yet. My kids would find the heads and rattles - cuz the rest was gone. Never lost a cat or kittens to snakes - but oh plenty of dogs.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,722,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Our cats would find them when they came out of a hole and chow down. Little ones don't have the developed venom sacs or fangs yet. My kids would find the heads and rattles - cuz the rest was gone. Never lost a cat or kittens to snakes - but oh plenty of dogs.
Now, THAT is interesting. Maybe cats have a stronger and more refined hunting instinct than dogs do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming