Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:20 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
My concern is the distance to a trauma level I hospital, which Wyoming doesn’t have. The closest level II hospital from Gillette is 126 miles to Casper Wyoming. This may not concern you but it does to me.

I’ve worked in a level I trauma center for many years and have seen the hardships on individuals who must travel across the state or nearby states to receive specialized care not just for serious injuries but other illnesses/conditions. Even with a large VA hospital across the street from the public university teaching hospital where I worked the more serious cases at the VA hospital had to be transferred to the university hospital since the VA could not offer that level of care.

Since you are renting it would be easier to relocate if needed but I’ve always owned a house or condo so it makes it more complicated for me to move closer for frequent specialized care. Also you have a wife and it sounds like a sister-in-law who sometimes lives with you so that makes it easier. I am on my own so it would make it more difficult in my situation.

Living in a suburb outside of a large city makes more sense for me when it comes to the Western US.
Now I totally understand. The sister-in-law has never lived with us. It's just my wife and I and I'm a former EMT from back in the mid 70's. I have a full First Aid Kit, including stethoscope, in our apartment.

Thing is, I've been told, on the forum, there are a number of seniors (Baby Boomers in their mid 70's, like us?) that live in northern Wyoming, so I sort of wonder how they handle medical emergencies that would require specialized care?

And, yes, we can only rent, so pulling up stakes and moving is much easier for us than someone who has to sell or rent out their house.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:00 AM

400 posts, read 454,575 times
No seniors in Wyoming. We ship them to Loveland. In a few years, I will be herded into a cattle transport by people wearing cowboy hats and lace up ropers with dozens of other seniors and we won’t be allowed to come back.

In the summer, these senior herders wear straw hats. When winter arrives, the transition to felt hats is seamless. Sharp.

It’s not what I want to happen, but it is what it is.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 55,078 times

Old 08-16-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
No seniors in Wyoming. We ship them to Loveland. In a few years, I will be herded into a cattle transport by people wearing cowboy hats and lace up ropers with dozens of other seniors and we won’t be allowed to come back.

In the summer, these senior herders wear straw hats. When winter arrives, the transition to felt hats is seamless. Sharp.

Naw, isn't going to happen. If we end up moving to the state, I'll make sure it doesn't happen. LOL

Cowboy hats/boots or not!! Another LOL

Old 08-19-2022, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post

Is this thread a joke? I have been a rancher my entire life and did a lot of rodeo in my youth, but even mutton busting gone bad isn't as entertaining as this thread. What is with all this talk about cowboy hats and seasonal changes? I have my old 100x beaver custom-made that has served me well year around for 50 years. What do hats, boots, and jeans have to do with whether Sheridan has the "cowboy" vibe or not?

I would say unless his cowboy hat has been stomped in fresh cow manure, ground around, then the crap beat out of it on a fence post, then washed in cow pee mixed with blood from bull castration, then this babyboomer2 will never make it in Sheridan. His hat will yell out urban cowboy. Seasonal hat changes are frowned upon in Sheridan.

Since Liz took a spanking, Wyoming did get another star, but I can't think why any retired senior would want to move to Sheridan and live in an apartment. Somehow that doesn't sound "cowboy" to me.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:05 PM

400 posts, read 454,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorrangerider View Post
Is this thread a joke? I have been a rancher my entire life and did a lot of rodeo in my youth, but even mutton busting gone bad isn't as entertaining as this thread. What is with all this talk about cowboy hats and seasonal changes? I have my old 100x beaver custom-made that has served me well year around for 50 years. What do hats, boots, and jeans have to do with whether Sheridan has the "cowboy" vibe or not?

I would say unless his cowboy hat has been stomped in fresh cow manure, ground around, then the crap beat out of it on a fence post, then washed in cow pee mixed with blood from bull castration, then this babyboomer2 will never make it in Sheridan. His hat will yell out urban cowboy. Seasonal hat changes are frowned upon in Sheridan.

Since Liz took a spanking, Wyoming did get another star, but I can't think why any retired senior would want to move to Sheridan and live in an apartment. Somehow that doesn't sound "cowboy" to me.
It’s a looooooooooong story.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:26 PM

507 posts, read 662,555 times
I like mutton busting gone bad. Much more fun and entertaining than when they actually hang and rattle.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorrangerider View Post

Well, first, if we don't have a place to rent/move into next year in June/July, anywhere in the surrounding areas of Sheridan, as in Buffalo or whatever, we won't be moving there anyway.

As far as what you have said, we don't really have to listen to you! We've already heard from someone who is on the Sheridan Rodeo Committee and he told us "you'd fit in here very nice". We explained ourselves to him and he told us just that............."you'd fit in fine!"

When folks can't afford to buy a house, or possibly even rent one, renting an apartment is next. I'm definitely not an expert in ranching, but when it comes to PRCA rodeo or other rodeo, wife and I are pretty much experts. One thing for sure, there are plenty of seniors who rent apartments!

I've stepped into plenty of steer/horse manure with my boots outside the rodeo arena. Hell, I've been a Horseback Trail Guide for a major Regional Park, owned a quarter horse, member of AQHA and so on and so on. I've never worked a ranch, because working for an electronics manufacturer paid much, much better, with lots of benefits. I got paid every week and got every weekend off to party as much as I wanted to.

Heck, I've even worked at a Livestock Auction in Oklahoma.

As far as "hat changes" in Wyoming, there are straws for the summer and felts for the winter. If someone chooses to wear a felt all year long, that's entire up to them. But, we don't do that.

My wife constantly tells me, "I don't care what anyone says about you/calls you, you were a rodeo cowboy, and to me..................YOU are my cowboy and I love it."

Old 08-20-2022, 10:28 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Enough! This thread has run its course and is now closed.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming