Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 02:40 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
My limited observations of Gillette are based on driving through a few times on I-90, stopping for lunch and/or dinner with overnight stays. It feels too remote and the immediate surrounding terrain is bland. Approaching Gillette from the East is ugly with all the quarries, mining, oil industry, and the housing in that area is poor and depressed looking. I guess that really turned me off.
What used to turn us off when entering any town - is the car dump, the old oil tanks, the homeless encampments, the scrap heaps (ala Casper). Cheyenne and Laramie re not small.
Only one on that list that is truly a small town is Centennial

A big town by our standards was one whose population exceeded their elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 04:36 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Why does Gilette not appeal to you? Too many people at 32,000 people?
Buffalo is too small to live there?
We shop Gillette, Spearfish, Each about same distance, I like Gillette, the Cam-plex Gun shows , RV , car shows, rodeo. concerts, theater. There 3 good steak houses, good pizza, BBQ, and Like Humphery too. We find most every thing we need from Eye to medical doctors, did spend a week in the hospital last Dec. Grocery's, tires, farm supplies. MG oil for Gas and Fuel.

Old 11-26-2023, 05:48 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
We shop Gillette, Spearfish, Each about same distance, I like Gillette, the Cam-plex Gun shows , RV , car shows, rodeo. concerts, theater. There 3 good steak houses, good pizza, BBQ, and Like Humphery too. We find most every thing we need from Eye to medical doctors, did spend a week in the hospital last Dec. Grocery's, tires, farm supplies. MG oil for Gas and Fuel.
Gillette sounds good even though it has 30,000 people+.
Buffalo sounds good too with under 5,000 people?

Old 11-27-2023, 07:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Gillette sounds good even though it has 30,000 people+.
Buffalo sounds good too with under 5,000 people?
That's not a tough choice

If you need a job, commerce, and don't mind living on the wind swept prairie (as is 60- 70% of WY) and you're not afraid of bulldozer attacks... and want to be closer to SD than to MT... Gillette is fine
https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/n...d28e01ba3.html
The Wyoming Rampage
Gillette, Wyoming was the setting for another bulldozer rampage on May 1, 1981. In the early hours of the morning, a 24-year-old man named John D. Thompson started up a D-9 Caterpillar bulldozer that had been parked in the town. Thompson drove the bulldozer through the streets of the town, smashing cars, knocking over power lines and ripping up pavement. Police were called in to stop the rampage, but they did not shoot the man because he only damaged property. Police also feared that over-shots or ricochets could hit innocent town residents in the area. Thompson finally jumped from the machine and ran off, leaving it running. It slammed, driverless, into an apartment building and stopped after a police officer fired into the engine. It finally stalled. It was estimated it caused $3 million in damage*, according to statements in the Gillette News-Record.

*$3m in 1981 = $10.3m in 2023
If you want quick and easy access to the Bighorns / Sheridan / Story... then Buffalo wins.

(Both are cities, by WY standards)

There are a lot of nice small towns within easy reach of the cities, and many not so easy to reach +/-

Ranchester / Dayton have won for a few friends who relocated to WY. (for work, usually in Sheridan)

Country folk friends have done well in Encampment and Hulett and various points in between.

Rock Springs, Evanston, and Rawlins are my least favorite areas, and are much bigger cities than I prefer.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-27-2023 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 02:11 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Just stay away from Riverton, the place with the highest crime rate in Wyoming?

Old 12-03-2023, 10:46 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do you have a 'real WY small town favorite? '.
I’ve always soft spot for Thermopolis. Seriously investigated retiring there. Awesome outdoor environment. Just a tad too isolated.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-03-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Just stay away from Riverton, the place with the highest crime rate in Wyoming?

Now don't go running down Riverton just because of an article or two. It's a nice place to live
Betcha you've never been there

Old 12-03-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I’ve always soft spot for Thermopolis. Seriously investigated retiring there. Awesome outdoor environment. Just a tad too isolated.

Only a couple of roads in/out - sorta like Cody and Powell

Old 12-03-2023, 04:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Interesting take on the razor city aka Gillette as Cambell County has the 2nd highest median family income(95K) in Wyoming after Teton County. Now money don't buy class but Gillette seems to be a better off places to live economically.

I really enjoyed Sheridan and Buffalo the most. Dubois and Thermop hold a special place in my heart. I will like to add I enjoy Ten Sleep but more for topography.

Here you can look up any census data...

https://data.census.gov/

Old 12-04-2023, 11:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
...Gillette as Cambell County has the 2nd highest median family income(95K) in Wyoming after Teton County. ...
How many hours / yr do Campbell County wage earners work, vs Teton County earning stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming