Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 09:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Another totally warped article, definitely not on point. Probably research from a desk in a metro NYC.

Sorry... Cheyenne was about the only major 'small' town that was not included.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/10...n-wyoming.html

Do you have a 'real WY small town favorite? '.

I like Lingle and Lusk for prairie towns. (Torrington is too big for me to call a small town)
Kaycee, hawk springs, and Bill were on my daily trucking route, but not my favorites.

Newcastle is a nice setting (but not a small town). Burgess jct is a bit small to be considered a town.

Any special small WY towns that you make an effort to frequently support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 10:00 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
What exactly was incorrect in this article? Those places you mentioned (except Kaycee) are unincorporated communities.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:18 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Two totally different things to vacation/visit there and live there.

Gillette, Buffalo and the pricey areas of Cody/Sheridan sound good to live.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Another totally warped article, definitely not on point. Probably research from a desk in a metro NYC.

Sorry... Cheyenne was about the only major 'small' town that was not included.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/10...n-wyoming.html

Do you have a 'real WY small town favorite? '.

I like Lingle and Lusk for prairie towns. (Torrington is too big for me to call a small town)
Kaycee, hawk springs, and Bill were on my daily trucking route, but not my favorites.

Newcastle is a nice setting (but not a small town). Burgess jct is a bit small to be considered a town.

Any special small WY towns that you make an effort to frequently support?
Cheyenne is the capitol and the largest City in Wyoming might be the reason not listed compared to the small low populated towns in Wyoming.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:07 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Of the towns listed in the article, I’m familiar with Gillette, Buffalo, Sheridan, Cody, Jackson, and Dubois.

Sheridan is my favorite by far, followed by Cody and then Jackson. Gillette doesn’t appeal to me at all and Buffalo is cute but would be too small to live there or spend any significant time in. Dubois of course is way too small for me.

Overall, Wyoming isn’t a place I would want to live but great to visit and the scenery is spectacular.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:35 PM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
I'm surprised Pinedale didn't make the list; I've only done a few 3-day stays there, really cute town, great aquatic center and library, nice people who mostly live there full time (though I know that may be changing).

Most of my time living in WY has been in Jackson, which doesn't have a "small town" feel to me, especially with so many tourists, transients and part-timers, and has more amenities than most of the others that make it feel large to me.

Dubois is cute but too small for me; nice for a day trip or long weekend.

Buffalo is also cute but while living there last Summer I found myself going to Sheridan more and more, with better amenities, people were more social and of all age ranges, and overall more going on but still small town-like. Cody is also Sheridan-like, enjoyed meeting some locals during my stops there but haven't explored it much.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
A Wyoming statute indicates towns are municipalities with populations of less than 4,000. Municipalities of 4,000 or more residents are considered "first-class cities"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_in_Wyoming

Even Buffalo is considered a city.

Wheatland, Pinedale, Saratoga... these are towns (larger towns)

Old 11-26-2023, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Of the towns listed in the article, I’m familiar with Gillette, Buffalo, Sheridan, Cody, Jackson, and Dubois.

Sheridan is my favorite by far, followed by Cody and then Jackson. Gillette doesn’t appeal to me at all and Buffalo is cute but would be too small to live there or spend any significant time in. Dubois of course is way too small for me.

Overall, Wyoming isn’t a place I would want to live but great to visit and the scenery is spectacular.
Why does Gilette not appeal to you? Too many people at 32,000 people?
Buffalo is too small to live there?

Old 11-26-2023, 06:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Why does Gilette not appeal to you? Too many people at 32,000 people?
Buffalo is too small to live there?
My limited observations of Gillette are based on driving through a few times on I-90, stopping for lunch and/or dinner with overnight stays. It feels too remote and the immediate surrounding terrain is bland. Approaching Gillette from the East is ugly with all the quarries, mining, oil industry, and the housing in that area is poor and depressed looking. I guess that really turned me off. However the city itself appeared clean. The downtown core is nice with maybe 2 or 3 streets gentrified but not much activity.

Buffalo. If I was much younger with a good job offer I would consider it. However for my situation at my age it’s just not reasonable being single with no family nearby and distance to more advanced healthcare should I need it. If I had enough financial resources to cover traveling expenses to larger cities when needed for possible medical needs then I might consider Buffalo but that’s not a chance I’m willing to take at my age.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
My limited observations of Gillette are based on driving through a few times on I-90, stopping for lunch and/or dinner with overnight stays. It feels too remote and the immediate surrounding terrain is bland. Approaching Gillette from the East is ugly with all the quarries, mining, oil industry, and the housing in that area is poor and depressed looking. I guess that really turned me off. However the city itself appeared clean. The downtown core is nice with maybe 2 or 3 streets gentrified but not much activity.

Buffalo. If I was much younger with a good job offer I would consider it. However for my situation at my age it’s just not reasonable being single with no family nearby and distance to more advanced healthcare should I need it. If I had enough financial resources to cover traveling expenses to larger cities when needed for possible medical needs then I might consider Buffalo but that’s not a chance I’m willing to take at my age.
I have seen some nice housing advertised in Gillette and they were not that old. Buffalo has much less population than Gillette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming