Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I’m doing some research and I am interested in areas that are very remote, mountainous, and can become somewhat inaccessible in winter for a location in a book I am working on. It also needs to be a place people can live (have a homestead), it can’t be in a national park or anything like that. I originally had the location in Alaska, but for a number of reasons would like it to be in the lower 48, preferably Wyoming or maybe Montana or possibly Idaho. I recently traveled through all three and Wyoming seemed the more remote, but I’m an east coaster so hard to get a real impression without an extended stay and a lot of exploration. If anyone has area suggestions and can give rough impression (topography, size of lots, distance between folks, etc.) it would be super helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 08:53 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Inholding in Bridger Tetons, there inholdings in the bighorns, The mountain range that loops up from Laramie north and then south of Casper.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:42 PM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Lol. Where we live!

Old 01-12-2024, 01:48 PM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Sounds like your looking for someone that lives west of Meeteetsee or up, back of Union Pass out of Dubious. The Upper Green or possibly around Bondurant.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Burgess Jct 14a(not much of a 'town') not even a post office (Dayton is closest, but not always accessible)

Wolf, WY 82844 (PO Closed in 1993)

Hyattville is a census-designated place in Big Horn County, Wyoming, United States. The population was 75 at the 2010 census.

Ten Sleep
Wyoming 82442

Woods Landing-Jelm is a census-designated place in Albany County, Wyoming, United States. The population was 97 at the 2010 census

Old 01-13-2024, 12:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icbittersea View Post
Hey all. I’m doing some research and I am interested in areas that are very remote, mountainous, and can become somewhat inaccessible in winter for a location in a book I am working on. It also needs to be a place people can live (have a homestead), it can’t be in a national park or anything like that. I originally had the location in Alaska, but for a number of reasons would like it to be in the lower 48, preferably Wyoming or maybe Montana or possibly Idaho. I recently traveled through all three and Wyoming seemed the more remote, but I’m an east coaster so hard to get a real impression without an extended stay and a lot of exploration. If anyone has area suggestions and can give rough impression (topography, size of lots, distance between folks, etc.) it would be super helpful!

Try Googling Yaak, Montana, in the far NW corner of the state. Usually referred to as "the Yaak." Extremely remote, although it has been gaining in popularity precisely for that reason. It is heavily forested, between several mountain ranges. Grizzly warnings. Heavy snow in winter. Nearest towns for supplies would be Troy (MT) and Bonners Ferry (Idaho). If your book is going to be at lease somewhat believable, you need to visit in winter.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
You can find many locations in Wyoming that will satisfy your requirements of remote and isolated, perhaps not even having passable roads during the winter months.

Bear in mind that you'll generally be looking at acreage parcels, not a subdivision "lot". If isolation and remoteness from neighbors is a priority for you, I'd be looking for at least a 1/4 section size parcel (that's 160 acres).

Much of this depends upon your land budget and housing along with your expectations of independent wintertime survival ability and costs. Will you need reliable communications? 'net service? power sources? access to medical services? contractors for improvements or upkeep of the place? Delivery service such as a propane supplier? Septic system service? Trash service? Potable water source and pumping? So many factors to be considered for that winter survival and comforts ...

In all candor, it's very difficult to recommend an area without knowing your property budget as well as your tolerance for truly independent survival in the long term.

Do you have a figure in mind for the property acquisition?

Old 01-13-2024, 02:19 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Try Googling Yaak, Montana, in the far NW corner of the state. Usually referred to as "the Yaak." Extremely remote, although it has been gaining in popularity precisely for that reason. It is heavily forested, between several mountain ranges. Grizzly warnings. Heavy snow in winter. Nearest towns for supplies would be Troy (MT) and Bonners Ferry (Idaho). If your book is going to be at lease somewhat believable, you need to visit in winter.
The bitterroot forrest area.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You can find many locations in Wyoming that will satisfy your requirements of remote and isolated, perhaps not even having passable roads during the winter months.

Bear in mind that you'll generally be looking at acreage parcels, not a subdivision "lot". If isolation and remoteness from neighbors is a priority for you, I'd be looking for at least a 1/4 section size parcel (that's 160 acres).

Much of this depends upon your land budget and housing along with your expectations of independent wintertime survival ability and costs. Will you need reliable communications? 'net service? power sources? access to medical services? contractors for improvements or upkeep of the place? Delivery service such as a propane supplier? Septic system service? Trash service? Potable water source and pumping? So many factors to be considered for that winter survival and comforts ...

In all candor, it's very difficult to recommend an area without knowing your property budget as well as your tolerance for truly independent survival in the long term.

Do you have a figure in mind for the property acquisition?

I started in on giving advice in my post (above), too, and then i realized that the OP is writing a novel (I guess) about someone stuck in a remote area in winter. I don't think she or he needs to worry about a budget etc. My impression is that the OP just needs a location for their story.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
good point CFF ... OP not seeking a place to live but only a plausible location for a novel.

in which case, there's many places around WY or the Rocky Mountain West which would be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming