Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 03:30 PM

400 posts, read 452,465 times

Advertisements

Yikes. That is ugly. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 06:22 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
My state of Washington decided to assess property values at market rate. Our property value jumped 34% and our taxes increased 21.6%. Unsustainable unless you’re wealthy. Neighbors home valued at $2.5 million is taxed over $20,000. But, then, we are the last of the middle class in a gentrifying neighborhood.
Our sales tax is now 8.9% due to needing a new county jail to house all the criminals we seem to be attracting. No income tax yet, altho our state legislature tries. If we weren’t so old and life long residents, we would move to Wyoming. We will be visiting there this May-June to camp and explore.
I was to retire to the State of Washington and when I found out about the property tax situation there regarding single family homes that could sky rocket 30% in one year I changed my mind.

Other than that I would have loved to retire to Whatcom County up north near the Canadian Border. There was some beautiful country up there at the time. I don't know now as I heard everything in the State of Washington went downhill.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:15 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I was to retire to the State of Washington and when I found out about the property tax situation there regarding single family homes that could sky rocket 30% in one year I changed my mind.

Other than that I would have loved to retire to Whatcom County up north near the Canadian Border. There was some beautiful country up there at the time. I don't know now as I heard everything in the State of Washington went downhill.
Yes, as a life long Whatcom County resident, it has gone downhill substantially. Our county has its scenic beauty for sure including part of the North Cascades, Bellingham and Chuckanut Bays, Nooksack River, Whatcom, Samish and Padden Lakes, etc. I love to travel/camp in Wyoming because I feel safe, the roads aren’t crowded, they aren’t being taxed to death and its scenery and geology are fascinating. A truly beautiful state. Oh, and the residents have been very helpful when we get lost on some obscure road.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:48 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Yes, as a life long Whatcom County resident, it has gone downhill substantially. Our county has its scenic beauty for sure including part of the North Cascades, Bellingham and Chuckanut Bays, Nooksack River, Whatcom, Samish and Padden Lakes, etc. I love to travel/camp in Wyoming because I feel safe, the roads aren’t crowded, they aren’t being taxed to death and its scenery and geology are fascinating. A truly beautiful state. Oh, and the residents have been very helpful when we get lost on some obscure road.
My exact thoughts. I concur with you 100%.
Wyoming is the least populated state in the #2 positionwhole United States of America with only Alaska being #1 for population per square inch measurement with lots of room and freedom.

Alaska has some problems that Wyoming does not have that I do not want to deal with. Alaska makes Wyoming much more liveable and deal able plus reasonable as far as cost of living goes. There are only 2 other states that stand a chance now which is very unfortunate as are choices are being eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming