Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 41,334 times

Advertisements

Does a CCW transfer from California to Wyoming? I see the gun laws are great, do they have a castle doctrine like Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 02:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxattack View Post
Does a CCW transfer from California to Wyoming? I see the gun laws are great, do they have a castle doctrine like Florida?
Wyoming passed the Castle Doctrine back in April. It goes into effect on the first of July, this year. (I read one place that said, 2 July but it could have been a typo)

As to transfering, no, I don't think so. You'll have to check with the Sheriff in the country you apply in. I think things that do transfer is the training course and things like that, but I don't think you can just walk in and turn yours in and have them send you a new one from Wyoming.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 PM

250 posts, read 336,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wyoming passed the Castle Doctrine back in April. It goes into effect on the first of July, this year. (I read one place that said, 2 July but it could have been a typo)

As to transfering, no, I don't think so. You'll have to check with the Sheriff in the country you apply in. I think things that do transfer is the training course and things like that, but I don't think you can just walk in and turn yours in and have them send you a new one from Wyoming.
Right, you have to get checked again in the county you will live in. I have CCW permits in CA & WA, and they both have their own requirements for training, so call the county sheriff or local PD in your destination town for specifics. Be sure to ask about money. WA was cheap, but CA was expensive!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Here in Wyoming it's the County Sheriff. The Police have nothing to do with it.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 PM

430 posts, read 1,624,914 times
Yes is sheriff - costs I believe it was $75 or $80 for a 5 year CCW. And is EASY to get. Take the SIMPLEST of tests & have taken hunter's safety & have a cop or deputy (or any state law offical - G&F, corrections, DCI whomever) write that you are competent with firearms. But I'd be surprised if Wyo & Cali are syncopatico. I'll ask my son - he knows ALL he CCW rules......has one & works at a gun shop or a 2nd job - here is the test that you have to take in Wyo - you print it out & then send it in with your hunter's safety card, $$$ & app with the officer who signed off on you.
IHEA Homestudy: Contents Checklist

You can't HELP but pass it - couldn't be simpler if they tried. AND when they tell you you have the wrong answer, they give you the chance to fix it. I took it w/o even reading the lesson & only missed one question & that was because of the wording of the question (I read it backwards than what it meant).

Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 PM

Yes, the fee is $75. But the requirements are a little more then mentioned.

Finger Prints (Some Sheriff's offices charge for this)
Background check
Handling course.
Fee.

Wyoming is a Right to Carry state. Which means, only if they find something wrong, will they stop it. Everything is turned into the local Sheriff's office.

I do know this. Wyoming does not accept recipricacy with California. Wyoming has recipracacy with any state that has as strict or stricter rules then Wyoming. So if they are denying CA, then something is missing in their requirements. For the sake of concealed carry, you must be a resident here for 6 months before applying.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 41,334 times
Smile Thanks

Thanks for all the info and link

Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,624,914 times
Quote:
OK - my son checked for sure - Cali is not recognized by Wyo but feels if you have one in Cali that you will have NO prob & may not have to do anything other than prove your training & be signed off by a law enforcement officer to get a Wyo CCW.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM

357 posts, read 1,616,490 times
Default WY Reciprocity - rule of thumb

Quote:
From the WY AG's DCI web site, no, California CCW's are not valid in WY.

Concealed Weapons Permit FAQ (http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWPFAQ.html - broken link)

The reason is that California doesn't recognize WY's CCW's, so WY returns the favor. It isn't just that CA's CCW's aren't "shall issue" or have different background check requirements, etc - it is the reciprocity issue. Nevada is a shall-issue state, with training and NCIS checks, but because the Clark County & LVPD outfits campaign in the state legislature against allowing in any out-of-state CCW's in Vegas, NV doesn't recognize any other state's CCW permits, and therefore, WY won't reciprocate NV's CCW.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 PM

208 posts, read 910,666 times
Wyoming has no reciprocity with CA or WA. In fact, CA has reciprocity with exactly zero states... you must live in one of the friendly counties in CA if you have a resident CCW there. Wyoming has reciprocity with all states that are willing to accept a Wyo permit.

The CCW here is simple- there is no training course if you have your hunter's ed card in WY.... it works for the "safe gun-handling" requirement. If you don't have the hunter's ed course take it.... as it's needed to hunt here you'll kill two birds with one stone.

I think it was $74 and as others have mentioned, is good for 5 years from date of application. They say to allow 90 days, but they are running a little ahead of that as of a couple months ago. You fill out the app, get prints done by the local LE agency, show your hunter's ed card, give them their money and the money order for the state DCI, and wait until they call you to pick it up. You must be a resident for 6 months prior to applying.

Wyoming has the best gun laws in the nation.... federal law is what governs the state as Wyoming itself has no firearms laws I can find that are more strict than the feds. AK and VT are the only better ones on CCW... they require no permit (as it should be).

You will definitely enjoy WY coming from CA.... I know it was the best decision I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming