Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Thats interesting to know, since the job is with the Forest Service. Actually, I'm now hoping that he doesn't even get interviewed for it, because with people like us, its just plain hard to say no to western Wyoming!! Obviously, we couldn't stay there long-term and I'm so tired of moving! (four moves in two years, with two young children) Yet, here we are saying, "Well it would be an awesome job to wait out for another, better position." Sigh, I don't think there is any hope for us!

Thanks for the info on the school, though. I guess I should have realized that.
I would only suggest that if he is called for an interview it would be worth it on many levels to check things out for yourself. Perhaps the FS gives staff some sort of subsidy to help with the housing.

This is not a new problem in JH or any other resort area for that matter and they have been talking about affordable for at least 20 years. Some progress has been made and all new develoepements are now required to include some sort of affordable housing element.

Here is a link for the two major affordable housing agencies, JH Housing Trust and the Teton County Housing Authority
Jackson Hole Wyoming Housing | Teton County Library (http://tclib.org/jackson_hole/jackson_hole_housing.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Holy cow are rents expensive! Anyhow, the posting stated that there was government housing available, which we would grab (as long as its more then the usual bunkhouse). But that is why it couldn't be permanant. We can't live in govn't housing forever and I don't see us ever being able to make it financially without it (whether its renting from the public, buying, or living in another community with gas prices the way they are).

We ran into the same problem (although not as much as JH) when we were in NH. But we were only there for 7 months and we were a family of three, so we stayed in a very small place. We have also crossed off California for the same reason, although we think we would fit in very well in northern CA.

Thanks again everyone for the info!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Thats interesting to know, since the job is with the Forest Service. Actually, I'm now hoping that he doesn't even get interviewed for it, because with people like us, its just plain hard to say no to western Wyoming!! Obviously, we couldn't stay there long-term and I'm so tired of moving! (four moves in two years, with two young children) Yet, here we are saying, "Well it would be an awesome job to wait out for another, better position." Sigh, I don't think there is any hope for us!

Thanks for the info on the school, though. I guess I should have realized that.
Isn't it pretty much the norm for the USFS to transfer you every 2-3 years??? I know it used to be....UGH!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
It depends where in the GS you are. We have actually been very lucky; my husband got a late start in the FS, but has only had to work one seasonal out of college (worked seasonal through college). He then had a term and now has a permament. He's at a 7, looking for a 9. At that point we could stay and the chances of having a forced move is very small. Although, he is in Rec, which we all know is the first positions to get cut or moved. We are in an army-base city right now and I'm finding out how sucky we've got it. We have had to pay to move ourselves, move more often then most army families and it turns out they get mentors when they move to a new base! We're lucky if there is anyone in the district that even has younger kids! But I would much rather my husband be in the FS than the Army!!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
If I was moving a lot, especially to trendy areas, I would put my housing (equity) dollars into positive cash flow commercial real estate in a desirable community and investment, and rent out the place triple net (tenant pays all expenses, taxes, insurance , utilities)

And then you rent where stationed, eventually commercial place is paid off, and it feeds you a monthly income.

We moved 4 times in five years with small kids. (3 were international). It was a stretch for all, especially mom. Now after 10 yr reprieve, it is time to do it again. Our commercial real estate has been good to us, and allowed us to stay invested during valuation escalation. now it is in cash awaiting a point to buy again, but I will be picky... no restaurants ! Buying a farm set us back too... I may have a lot more 'milder' tastes in the future. (small, and compact)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming