Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I was just watching footage of the terrible aftermath of hurricane Ike in Texas, and couldn't believe it when I heard people complaining about what wasn't being done for them. One woman complained because she was not given a ride home from a food distribution site. This was after she was given a ride there, was given food and water, and was given ice to keep the food cold. After all she was given, she expected more. In Alaska or Wyoming, she most likely would have been taken in by a neighbor until she had some other place to go, and the government wouldn't even have to get involved. She also would, most likely, be very grateful for the kindness bestowed upon her. In my mind, this is how it should be.
You know, originally being from Texas I saw and heard about that going on down there and I thought to myself that it was strange. Most of the people I knew in Texas didn't seek out handouts from government, or expect the government to solve their problems and misfortunes. They were prideful, hard working people who helped each other in hard times, just like the people of Wyoming. Apparently (and this makes sense to me) most (not all) of the people who are DEMANDING assistance, and who feel ENTITLED to everything on God's green Earth down there are Katrina transplants who never left Houston/Galveston years after that disaster. These are the same people who took their FEMA checks and walked into Wal-Mart to buy a big screen TV instead of putting food on the kitchen table, and refused to use their perfectly capable hands to get a job and work to better THEMSELVES instead of relying on bs government social programs to get by. Both my wife's and my family still live down there and this is the sentiment most Houstonian's have.

Off my soapbox...back to the original topic...never been to Alaska, but I love Wyoming. I hear Alaska has some killer mosquitoes though! A friend told me that the mosquitoes in Alaska aren't considered bad until you swallow three in one breath. Can't wait to visit one day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
Off my soapbox...back to the original topic...never been to Alaska, but I love Wyoming. I hear Alaska has some killer mosquitoes though! A friend told me that the mosquitoes in Alaska aren't considered bad until you swallow three in one breath. Can't wait to visit one day...
I too, have never been to Alaska, but I've met quite a few folks that have. It is from their experiences in Alaska, as well as my own experiences in Wyoming, that I wrote my previous comments about the similarities between Alaska and Wyoming. I am also hoping to visit there someday, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Definitely mosquitoes up here...some the size of shetland ponies One thing though...no West Nile. Some bug dope and you're good.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,393 times
Do Wyoming mosquitoes carry West Nile?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
They can, yes. I believe each year sees a rise in West Nile cases.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post

Fremont County (Lander/Riverton/Dubois) carries the highest rate in the state.....of the almost 50 cases a year ago...40-some were from Fremont County....

check out www.badskeeter.com it has some great info on WNV in Wyoming

Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
You know Highland Lady....I may take you up on that some time...I've always wanted to take a cruise and check out the glaciers and stuff...such gorgeous country. I think I would miss having a growing season though (I love my fresh produce)....does anyone have greenhouses or does that even work up there?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM

There are many, many greenhouses here. Many gardens. If you google the State Fair in Palmer, AK; there are world record size vegetables here. A 9 pound radish of all things. I believe the largest pumpkin was 900+ pounds this year (give or take).

Old 09-21-2008, 02:55 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,393 times
I have never understood why people want a pumpkin or a water melon that weighs more than they do. In Arkansas they grow super hugh melons that do not taste good. But they say they are the largest in the world! I like the small sweet ones.

My brown thumb friend had a beautiful garden when she lived Anchorage. She said things grew faster there to make up for the shorter season.

Would you say that more more people garden in Alaska than here in Wyoming? I have thought about preparing a small area for planting next spring but the deer are all over the place because of the apple tree.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 161,446 times
One thing I've noticed, is that the "liberal" news media seems to poke it's cameras into the face of anyone that will complain about not getting enough handouts. They seem to have radar tendencies to zone in on all the people that think they are less fortunate than others. You know the types, the ones that SHOUT into the cameras. Some advice, stay in WY or AK - don't ever think you need a warmer climate to live in. Along with warm comes the helpless. Spoken from a former Wyomingite now living in the deep southeastern US. Can't wait to get back to the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming