Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,731 times

Advertisements

I hope this particular subject has not been discussed previously, but I'm new to the forum.

I heard through the grapevine that there was some interest by developers to build a ski resort in the mountains immediately north of Alpine; in particular the slopes opposite the Palisades Res. Anyone know if this is merely conjecture, or is there some truth to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM

46 posts, read 214,136 times
Griffsc, that rumor has been going on for over 10 years. Maybe some day but I doubt it. We lived there from 98 to 01 and our daughter still owns a cabim there so we sortta keep thack of what is going on there. If you search on the Alpine town council minutes you can read up of what's going on up there.
Right now the Palasides is almost a dry hole so if there is no water there is no snow!
HTH
John

Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM

thanks, john. yeah, i own a place there, too. inherited it from my late uncle this past year. also have some long-time friends who have lived in and around alpine for decades. that's where i heard the rumor.

i love the town and surroundings and have spent many wonderful times there. i like the idea of it staying small and "relatively" undeveloped, although there are some big-money types spending a lot of dough near the airport. i may not be able to keep the house for logistical reasons but would want to hang onto it IF there was a decent possibility that a resort were to go in. 'course, like you say, the way the past few winters have been, there wouldn't be enough snow to ski on anyway. can't even remember the last time i saw the palisades full.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,933 times
Palisades was full last year.....

Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,041 times
I live here in Alpine. We usually have double the snow that Jackson does. The Palisaides gets full every spring, but the Idaho Farmers use it. If there is a purfect place for a ski resort it is here. We have some of the steepest terrain, and best snow you can find. Now it is only available to backcountry, and heli skiers.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Hey MG, how long have you resided in Alpine?

My place is up on the hill above the flats. You go right past Greg's place - he's the hunter/taxidermist with the log home at the base of the hill. My now deceased uncle built the house about 15 years ago and I've been going out sporadically for over 20 years. Love the fact that I can drive a mile and be in the middle of national forest. Fishing up and down the Greys with my unc and bro was very special.

On one hand, I would hate to see a ski resort go in because of the influx of folks and over-building, but, on the other, it would sure increase land values for those that own property. I guess development is inevitable. Alpine is lucky though because it can only get so big, what with the reservoir, rivers and national forest serving as natural barriers to that development.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,786 times
Default Too Late

I agree with Mountain Grown, Way more snow here than at JH ski resort. About the same as Targhee, which is famous for it's copious snow. It is true that the summers have become hot & dry, and yes the spud farmers drain the lake like crazy. Apparently The State of Idaho perpetually owns the rights to ALL water in Palisades Reservoir. The Dam creating the lake is IN Idaho, therefore they can let out as much or little as they like. Anyways, with skiing continuing to set records each year despite meager snowfall, I would be willing to bet Vail corp is working hard at getting some nat'l forest leaseholds to open a resort. The Development has already happened. 166 new home sites at the junction in Alpine, plus Salt River Cove, plus Nordic Ranches is still growing, Star Valley Ranch down south is growing like crazy, plus a new commercial/residential complex right as you come out of the canyon. Look at the RE prices!

Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
I get the Jackson paper ever since I left in 96', haven't read anything about a proposed ski area in the Alpine area.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 14,786 times
Have you read about the proposed land swap? That's it.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,219 times
I just moved to Star Valley and want to know if there is a way to inject some life into the shelved ski area discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming