Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 237 times

Advertisements

I lived in Manville right next door to the church. My dad Henry babis was the preacher. I lived there until 1982. We had a very beautiful garden in the back. Kris Kristofferson was at my church and my dad said here's a new song for us to sing. It's called help me Make it through the night. We also used to sing midnight special from CCR although some of the lyrics were changed a little. And Cheryl Bowen probably still plays the piano there. the truck stop was called the six arrows and I lived there when it was built. they outlawed bucking broncos but my sister needed a candy bar & my dad told us not to go down there and the man was nice enough in 1980 to let us get on the bucking bronco anyways even though it was just outlawed. I watched a 19-year-old guy Raymond with long brown hair put his starter in a red car 1979 just down the street in Manville. My neighbors brought me a little chick. my other friends brought me walkie talkies Mike and Marshall Kant and I read out of Christian Jack Chick comic books that my dad told me not to touch on my walkie talkies and pretended I was an adult on my air Force walkie talkies. we broke into the school across the street daily and played basketball. I saved my 3-year-old little brother and his three old friend and his one and a half year old brother when I was 6 years old from full grown rattlesnakes right across the street from the church. There was a Texaco that sold cheap candy and we would have Kool-Aid stands and a truck driver would give us a dollar and we would shut down for the whole day and have a sleepover in a tent and buy a lot of candy. then my dad got voted out of the church as the preacher because he had a talk with some of the farmers about beer drinking. And we had to move. before that I lived in colstrip Montana with my best friends John and Christopher. I'm 46 now. there were some boys No & Luke that lived down the street and Luke was very cute and we were both five and almost got together one day but his mother was home so me and my friend got sent home. The end. oh and the guys put a new roof on the church next door and painted the church while I lived there. I found a ton of black and dark chocolate brown arrowheads in my own backyard I had a whole pencil box full. I used to go to a ranch nearby and sit there by myself and the corral from 8:30 in the morning till the cowboys came in at night on horses from rounding up horses I used the outhouses a lot someone made me a sandwich I had no cares in the world it was very nice. When I was five and the blizzard is 79 I can sled right off the forefoot porch next door off the side of it even with the snow and I played in it all day long and all afternoon long in my paper bag fringed colored Indian costume with my construction paper fethered headband all week long by myself. I loved it. The Lance Creek Church would go swimming at hot springs Wyoming it's an inground hot springs pool and on the other side there's a big pool with giant Olympic rings and I got to go there and see it and learn all about it. I attempted to climb devil's tower several times. Me and my dad rode the hills all the time and we're at the ranch quite often. Wonder if Luke is still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 02:30 PM

524 posts, read 154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBabis View Post
I lived in Manville right next door to the church. My dad Henry babis was the preacher. I lived there until 1982. We had a very beautiful garden in the back. Kris Kristofferson was at my church and my dad said here's a new song for us to sing. It's called help me Make it through the night. We also used to sing midnight special from CCR although some of the lyrics were changed a little. And Cheryl Bowen probably still plays the piano there. the truck stop was called the six arrows and I lived there when it was built. they outlawed bucking broncos but my sister needed a candy bar & my dad told us not to go down there and the man was nice enough in 1980 to let us get on the bucking bronco anyways even though it was just outlawed. I watched a 19-year-old guy Raymond with long brown hair put his starter in a red car 1979 just down the street in Manville. My neighbors brought me a little chick. my other friends brought me walkie talkies Mike and Marshall Kant and I read out of Christian Jack Chick comic books that my dad told me not to touch on my walkie talkies and pretended I was an adult on my air Force walkie talkies. we broke into the school across the street daily and played basketball. I saved my 3-year-old little brother and his three old friend and his one and a half year old brother when I was 6 years old from full grown rattlesnakes right across the street from the church. There was a Texaco that sold cheap candy and we would have Kool-Aid stands and a truck driver would give us a dollar and we would shut down for the whole day and have a sleepover in a tent and buy a lot of candy. then my dad got voted out of the church as the preacher because he had a talk with some of the farmers about beer drinking. And we had to move. before that I lived in colstrip Montana with my best friends John and Christopher. I'm 46 now. there were some boys No & Luke that lived down the street and Luke was very cute and we were both five and almost got together one day but his mother was home so me and my friend got sent home. The end. oh and the guys put a new roof on the church next door and painted the church while I lived there. I found a ton of black and dark chocolate brown arrowheads in my own backyard I had a whole pencil box full. I used to go to a ranch nearby and sit there by myself and the corral from 8:30 in the morning till the cowboys came in at night on horses from rounding up horses I used the outhouses a lot someone made me a sandwich I had no cares in the world it was very nice. When I was five and the blizzard is 79 I can sled right off the forefoot porch next door off the side of it even with the snow and I played in it all day long and all afternoon long in my paper bag fringed colored Indian costume with my construction paper fethered headband all week long by myself. I loved it. The Lance Creek Church would go swimming at hot springs Wyoming it's an inground hot springs pool and on the other side there's a big pool with giant Olympic rings and I got to go there and see it and learn all about it. I attempted to climb devil's tower several times. Me and my dad rode the hills all the time and we're at the ranch quite often. Wonder if Luke is still around.
Thanks for these scenes from your life, Susan. They're simple things, but they move me. I can just see you in that corral all by yourself - I used to have a favorite tree I climbed and sat in for hours to be alone, but not "till the cowboys came in at night" - that is about as true Western as you can get!

Loved the part where you got a dollar from the cool-aid stand - and then shut down for the day! A dollar meant something then, and you had more important things to do, like play with your friends. You were brave too, with those rattlers. A little mischievous, too with breaking into the school - but it was only for a good purpose. Kind of left me hanging there with "almost got together" with Luke - but I can see that, too. I was girl-crazy from the age of 5, too! Take care, Susan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming