Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 AM

25 posts, read 69,883 times

Advertisements

Hi
If anyone has any information or knows anything about how the mines are doing I would love to know. My husband went out in September or so and had a job interview. They had originally told him we would here and he would start in Jan. then we got a call and they were on a hiring freeze. So we are still waiting to here. I just wondered if anyone has heard anything or how it was going. We are in Ohio so we are just waiting blindly I guess. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
What is it that your husband applied for? The reason I ask is because here in Sheridan, the mines froze some positions but others are wide open. Also, where did he apply?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

They were hiring for apprentice mechanics to start at Thunder Basin. I have heard that some of the mines have started hiring again but that they were the last to freeze so they might b the last to start hiring again.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Severl of the mines started contracting externally for equipment maintenance. In other words, if a Cat craps out, the Cat Dealer out of Rapid City will send a field rep to Wright to fix it. Yet some of the mines are maintaining their mechanics. Not sure what Thunder is doing.

He might try several mines. My son applied as a mech. Then when he was in the middle of the interview the guy flat told him. The Mechanics work in all temperatures and conditions. See that Coal Truck driver? He spends his same 12 hour shift in a heated cab. So my son switched to being a driver. They did all the training. He loves it.

When you apply at a mine, don't tell them you'll do anything. Sounds too desperate. But tell them you'll take a position in this and if not available you could also go this route. They like people that are able to switch, but they don't like people that are wishy washy.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Thanks so much for your help. If you here anything else please let me know. Until then, fingers crossed we here something.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsimp View Post
Thanks so much for your help. If you here anything else please let me know. Until then, fingers crossed we here something.
Decker Coal, Decker Montana.................Spring Creek Coal 3 miles further. Both mines, the workers live in Sheridan.

8 coal mines out of Decker. 2 coal mines out of Wright. 2 coal mines out of Hanna.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM

34 posts, read 88,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Decker Coal, Decker Montana.................Spring Creek Coal 3 miles further. Both mines, the workers live in Sheridan.

8 coal mines out of Decker. 2 coal mines out of Wright. 2 coal mines out of Hanna.

are all of those owned by peabodyenergy? And would you know if they are all open pit?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
are all of those owned by peabodyenergy? And would you know if they are all open pit?
No peabody doesn't own very much. Every Coal mine we have is open pit. We haven't crawled underground for coal for almost 100 years. Too costly.

We open a large pit, extract the coal, and as the pit moves down the way, we close it back up and return it to 95% of original. Areal photo's are shot prior. If there was a rock stick up here, when done, said rock will be sticking up there again. Sagebrush is transplanted, trees are brought in, creeks and gully's are carefully designed so everything is absolutely original when done.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 29,535 times
Hello dmsimp,

Funny that you should mention the lengthy wait. Mid January i sent a resume off to Gillette for a haul truck position with one of the major companies there. Two weeks later, I flew from Portland Oregon to Gillette for a successful interview. I was told even before I flew back that it could be a month before I was actually placed. Tomorrow will be excatly one month since my interview, and I have still yet to be called in for a drug screen, physical, etc.

Luckily ( relative term ) for me, it has given me some extra time to put some finite touches on things here at home before I relocate. All told , patience is a virtue.

I have amassed quite a few websites with contact information since the first of the year. If you would like, I would be more than happy to DM them to you.

Good luck in your quest

Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM

34 posts, read 88,725 times
Rick6t6, if you could send me that list I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming