Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
You are mistaken if you say groceries are 3x more here than in Michigan. I watch the weekly ads and my grocery budget is very low. If it was 3x lower in Michigan I would be getting my food for almost free if I lived there!
I agree with you there. I'm in Minnesota--which has a similar economy as Michigan-- and have been comparing the prices of the groceries here with the "Safeway" advertisements online for the area in Wyoming we are looking to move to. There isn't much of a difference, and that's not saying that there aren't cheaper places to shop still (Wal-mart comes to mind). Just comparing my town's locally owned store with the ones in Wyoming seem roughly the same. Not sure if the poster of the MI price comparison was talking about big bulk stores like Sams Club or Meijer's comparing to a tiny home town store... where there might be differences... but for normal sized towns in Wyoming I don't think there is much of a gap.

When I lived in WY there was sales tax on food items, but I believe that has since changed, if I am not mistaken. Can a Wyomingite please let me know. Also, is there a tax on clothing and shoes in Wyoming?

So Michiganders considering Wyoming... go on a visit to compare, because I think you might be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Yes, Wyoming ceased taxing "groceries" last year. However, prepared food, such as food from the deli or from restaurants, is still taxed at 4% (in Gillette), as well as all other non-food items including clothing.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

34 posts, read 88,725 times
My wife and I are both looking to relocate into south eastern wyoming. We will not jump until I have found a job, we both were laid off nov/dec of 2008, We moved to CA so she could have work and I have been looking ever since. It was not untill about a month ago we started looking into wyoming for a new life. reguardless if we are out there tommarrow or 2 years from now, we will still be moving to that area.

Cost of living is high in alot of places because this country is getting over populated, you got 5 familys looking to rent the same house. I think rent will start dropping because there are alot of people out there right now that cannot afford to pay $1500-2000 or even more with the way the economy is currently.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Please refer to my post in the Michigan to Wyoming thread here that tells about an ad I saw for drilling jobs as well as talking about the grouse here near Gillette.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,385 times
I have to interject on a couple of issues here. My husband, our children and I moved out here from MI about a year ago. We are both college educated, and were only making a combined wage of $25 back home. Since relocating, we have almost doubled out income. The oilfields and mines are not the only industries here in WY. The DOC is hiring at an amazing rate. We are short handed at the Pen, and we are planning to open a new facility in Torrington that still needs to be fully staffed. There are plenty of jobs. The other comment about the cost of living is false. Food may be a bit more expensive in the smaller towns, but the prices at Walmart are about the same. As for housing, youo just have to look around. Rawlins is quite expensive due to the Pen being there, however, we live in Saratoga (45 min drive from Rawlins) and we only pay $800 for a brand new 4 bd house. There are options available.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 79,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzipper View Post
I have to interject on a couple of issues here. My husband, our children and I moved out here from MI about a year ago. We are both college educated, and were only making a combined wage of $25 back home. Since relocating, we have almost doubled out income. The oilfields and mines are not the only industries here in WY. The DOC is hiring at an amazing rate. We are short handed at the Pen, and we are planning to open a new facility in Torrington that still needs to be fully staffed. There are plenty of jobs. The other comment about the cost of living is false. Food may be a bit more expensive in the smaller towns, but the prices at Walmart are about the same. As for housing, youo just have to look around. Rawlins is quite expensive due to the Pen being there, however, we live in Saratoga (45 min drive from Rawlins) and we only pay $800 for a brand new 4 bd house. There are options available.
I am soooo glad that you wrote to the post!!! can you give us an idea what the pay scale is at the DOC? Is there a public website to apply for these jobs? Bless your heart for taking the time to post here. thanks a bunch!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 PM

25 posts, read 79,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzipper View Post
I have to interject on a couple of issues here. My husband, our children and I moved out here from MI about a year ago. We are both college educated, and were only making a combined wage of $25 back home. Since relocating, we have almost doubled out income. The oilfields and mines are not the only industries here in WY. The DOC is hiring at an amazing rate. We are short handed at the Pen, and we are planning to open a new facility in Torrington that still needs to be fully staffed. There are plenty of jobs. The other comment about the cost of living is false. Food may be a bit more expensive in the smaller towns, but the prices at Walmart are about the same. As for housing, youo just have to look around. Rawlins is quite expensive due to the Pen being there, however, we live in Saratoga (45 min drive from Rawlins) and we only pay $800 for a brand new 4 bd house. There are options

available.
I dont know Torrington but Saratoga is beautiful for anyone reading this post and looking for a job.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
I'm not sure I would post a picture of my child on city-data or any where on the internet. I suggest you have the moderator take it down.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,385 times
You can go to the WDOC website, and search for jobs. They will have the pay rates on the job description. They pay isn't the best, however, there is plenty of overtime, and you can definately suppost a family on what you make.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 75,329 times
I currently live in michigan, and am relocating to colorado springs in 2 weeks... But I lived and worked in Rawlins WY. The cost of living was not much differnet! the only difference i saw was pop, it was almost $2 for a one liter and no deposit, thats it.. ciggarettes were cheaper by far.. Housing is hard to find!! but i found a 2 bed house for rent for $650.. not bad.. same as michigan..
There are more jobs, i actually worked 2, i worked as a correctional officer for the state penn, and as a cna for the carbon county memorial hospital.. I seen ads for 15/ hr at the flying j and 12.50 at subway... Much higher than michigan..
it wasnt my cup of tea to live there though, loooooong commute to get anywhere, Walmart etc... nothing much in rawlins..
but id say jobs r better there... hell the wdoc is always recruiting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming