Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times

Advertisements

reliance homes are all,old small,former 'company'homes on small lots,as are many of the homes in rock springs itself.same with superior.they are also the cheapest,some have been well maintained,some not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 22,327 times
Cool I lived in Green River and Rock Springs!

We moved to Wyoming from Texas in July of 05. We lived in Green River for about 6 months. I picked Green River because to my discerning eye it looked more "homey". Well, we regreted the decision later because with the 15 minute drive to RS (30 min. round trip) plus the grocery shopping, I felt like I was wasting time and gas. Plus my husband was working in RS and we heard the drive was bad in the winter (It was.). So we moved to RS. I loved it really. It's really all about what you make it. I made an effort. I invited my husband's co-workers, wives and children to our home. I had to GET OUT THERE to make friends happen..it wasn't easy but it did happen..and we were very happy. There are lots of lonely women and ppl walking around there because they have so many newcomers. People just have to learn to reach out to one another. BUT we got the chance to move closer to our family in Texas. We moved to Louisiana after 18 months in Wyoming. MY HUSBAND HATES IT! We're moving back to RS! lol...We kinda fell in love with the ppl and the view and the place...it got under our skin and now we're headed back sometime around Oct 07-Jan 08.

I had a baby while in RS so I can answer some questions about healthcare. There is ONLY ONE OB/GYN office. There are about 4 or 5 OB/GYN's or at least there were while I was living there. That town is growing fast so who knows now. BUT I used the midwife (Starla Yerkovich) which also practices in the same office as the male ob/gyn's. She was refered to me by many ppl in the town who had children there. The ones who didn't use her..wished they had. So I chose her with some doubts but she was wonderful. I had the baby in the hospital like normal. I had a epidural ...lol...yay for drugs and I had a healthy baby girl. She didn't pressure me to breastfeed. I did try but decided in the end to give it up. No pressure from her either way. I loved the pediatrician I used. He was located across from the hospital. I can't remember his darn name though. I think it started with a C.

I never had any problems with burglary,theft or vandalism or anything related to drug issues. I HEARD there was a problem but never saw the physical evidence myself. Of course, I didn't frequent places that had those kind of problems.

We rented a lovely townhome right by the Wingate Inn for 950$. But upon our return to RS, we are looking for a home to rent until we find one to buy so we are looking to pay more like 1200 to 1500 to rent a decent home. We would like to buy as soon as possible but it's hard to find a place when you are not living there plus I want to take my time and make the right decision on buying a house.

In closing, to my book..lol, we're moving back and I intend to start a moms playgroup first thing. I belong to a great Moms Club here in Louisiana and I intend on starting one there. There have to be lots of needy moms. It's nice to be able to share and offer a helping hand to newcomers and new moms and ALL MOMS EVERYWHERE. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so I know I NEED a support group!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 31,607 times
Default Moving to RS/GR area in next couple of weeks.

Damn....sounds like i'm going to really miss SW Idaho... I was hoping Rock Springs wasnt terrible. Any smaller towns within 45 minutes from there? I'm more of a small town country girl. ~Kaci

Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 31,607 times
Anna, My hubby works for Schlumberger as well. He is already in RS and we are waiting to move there from Idaho. We are looking to rent something ultimately with a little property as i have horses. But, so far, i have found nothing and it is a bad time of year. I hope and pray we find something appropriate for us. I cant "do" apartment living for long! hahaha!! ~Kaci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna LBS View Post
i really have learned alot from reading everything... my husband and i currently live in lafayette, la and might be relocating to the rock springs area due to my husband's job. he works for schlumberger and one of the places offered to us for relocation was rock springs. i was wondering if anyone could give me information about some of the outlying communities around rock springs, like reliance or north rock springs. also i'm not sure whether we are going to live in green river or rock springs but any info on some good neighborhoods would be nice. oh and we're methodist so if you know of a nice methodist church in the area that inof woulbe be appreciated also. thanks...

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,594 times
HH, small towns within 45 min. ? Green River, Farson / Eden, Granger ,a little further out is the Bridger valley. Some have small horse properties.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 12,748 times
Hi, my husband is being transferred to RS and we are looking to buy a home there. We've only visited once and that was only for a day. This is our first home and I was hoping someone might be able to give some advice on a good neighborhood to buy in. We want to live in an older home if that helps... His company is flying me out there in 2 weeks to find a place and I don't have a clue where to start!

I would appreciate any help

Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times
All you really need to do is drive around the older part of town, the east side, to see where the good older neighborhoods are. B street is a great street to live on. There's a house on Willow for sale, it's right by the cemetary which is nice for walking. Yeah I know it's pretty sad, the nicest place to walk in town is the cemetary, lol. Do you plan on contacting a realtor? I know a few of them and would be happy to give you some names. We've been here for going on 4 years so I feel I know the town well. There isn't just one area here to avoid or want. Everything is very mixed up, when they put the streets in originally they just followed along the mine routes so there are a lot of diagnal streets and such. What makes it hard is that one street in an area can be good and the next one over is not so good, so you need to know the area to know which old neighborhoods are good to live in and which are not. Feel free to IM me if you want more info.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks Earniefan! I considering contracting a realtor, I would love to get some names from you! I am going to be flying down there right around Christmas to find a place, so any information is a great help. I guess I will just have to pound the pavement to find a nice place, but talking to locals is always a great start!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 AM

Just thought of another question... I am a costume designer. Does anyone know if there is any demand for that at all in RS? I do dance and ice skating costumes, as well as theater stuff.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times
Considering what we all just paid for our kids dance costumes you could probably line up some work with the dance studios in town: Artistry in Motion and Dance Unlimmited. I would talk to the college when you get here, you may be able to do theater costumes for them. I will IM you my info about realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming