Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, Jazzlover ... I didn't need all that "culture" when I lived in other places and I don't need ... or want it ... now.

I'll take the Cheyenne quiet and open spaces and the uncrowded access to recreation here over the finest that those other places have to offer.

I don't need access to all the c**p that's designed to impress the neighbors, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 21,910 times
I've lived in several states, and I have to say Wyoming was my least favorite of them all, though we gave it 7 long, painful years.

It takes a special type of person to like the climate, for starters. The wind NEVER stops, and I do mean never. The winters are cold and windy...there really isn't much snow because the wind blows it all to Nebraska; the summers are nice temps but again windy. There is no fall...nor is there a spring. With wind like that, it's no wonder the kids spend so much time indoors.

There are also lots of "millers" - moths to some people, and they invade homes and cars every single spring/summer, and then occasionally return for a fall visit. I called the Laramie County extension agent to find out what to do about the darn things - was told that Cheyenne is in their path, and there was NOTHING you could do to deter them....well, other than live in the dark. (They're drawn to light, usually.) Yuk.

Oh, don't plan on doing much gardening if you live outside of the town itself - we had property just outside of Cheyenne - planted 37 trees one spring. By the following spring, every single one was dead. One summer I planted zucchini 3 times - no luck. Wind burn.

I certainly realize there are a few folks who like Wyoming - and I think that's just great. It's a good thing that we don't all want to live in the same neck of the woods. However, what struck me while we were living there is that so many people...even business owners....just didn't like it! They wanted to leave, but for numerous reasons, felt they were trapped. This is exactly the opposite of the state I currently live in where many people say they will NEVER leave!!!

Restaurants? There's the Hitching Post and....well, there's a couple of chains now like the Outback and Chile's...hmmm...think that's it. Somehow I don't think it will fill the bill for you.

If you like eateries, the outdoors, and things to do - move to a community closer to Denver. We lived there for 20+ years. We both agree that leaving Colorado was the fork in the road we should never have taken.

Though we're now in the South due to hubby's business, we are planning to move back to Colorado when we retire. In fact, we still visit there frequently!

The best of luck to you, wherever you go...please take this in the spirit in which it is intended.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Pinemeadows ... thanks for leaving a place you obviously didn't like.

We have little problems with our vegetable garden here, get good productivity from our tomatoes, root vegetables, lettuce, squash, etc. Adding a modest little greenhouse this year (Farmtek tunnel) will extend our season for melons and cucumbers, too.

Trees are problematic here, but you can easily see from all the large shelter belts around people's homes that they can be grown. It does take proper selection, watering, and care to get them established. Even then, there will be a mortality rate due to climate and other variables. But we do have new neighbors who did the appropriate research and installation and their trees are thriving. A visit with the county extention office horticulturist would have been to your benefit before buying and planting so many trees.

There's just a few more restaurants here than you remember, too .... Little Bear, Albany Hotel, Senator's, and so on.

There's a very gentle breeze outside today and a wonderfully pleasant summer day. A few rainshowers came through and my alfalfa looks beautiful, and the livestock is all resting comfortably in the pastures.

Most of the folks I know here with businesses wouldn't go anywhere else without an exceptional offer to offset the loss of the good things around here.

Maybe this place is rather polarizing .... you either love it's virtues or you hate them. Thanks again for recognizing that you didn't like it here and leaving .....

Old 06-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
pinemeadows - just to make you feel a little better about the wind here, you did live in maybe the windiest area of the state. It really doesn't blow all the time in other areas, which is the only saving grace IMO for some of the other areas.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM

74 posts, read 312,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Thanks again for recognizing that you didn't like it here and leaving .....
Ah wyoming.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Miller moths? Lots of places have those. Remedy? My cat loves 'em! They are a dining delicacy to him. So, if any millers get in the house, they don't last long. Yes, the wind does blow. Everybody knows that.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,078 times
Default millers

"miller time" - our cat and dog both love them. When our dog wants out in the evening and the millers are out it's "miller time". Nice breeze here today - nice out!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 AM

7 posts, read 21,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Miller moths? Lots of places have those. Remedy? My cat loves 'em! They are a dining delicacy to him. So, if any millers get in the house, they don't last long. Yes, the wind does blow. Everybody knows that.
Well, you must have one fat cat! I've never lived anywhere else that was in the "path" of an insect.

And no, not everybody knows that Wyoming has wind every single day - how would someone from the south know that, other than by reading a forum like this?

That's exactly why I posted what I did - my post was intended to be informative and factual.

I give thanks every single day for hubby's business, which prompted the move here. After talking with business owners in Cheyenne, and learning how many of them would leave if finances allowed, I consider myself lucky.

(In case you're wondering, I had a business as well which meant I had many contacts in the city. I did like the people in Cheyenne!)

And, I know you all will miss me, but there's obviously no reason for me to hang out in a Wyoming forum..so bye, nice to have met you...

Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM

61 posts, read 215,963 times
Default It grows on you

I've lived all over Wyoming, and currently live in Cheyenne. The view from Interstate 80 is deceiving - the downtown area is actually very nice, and there are some great parks. I agree with the previous post... there really aren't any good "gourmet" eateries. However, Fort Collins does have some and it is only 35-40 minutes away. Prices for real estate in Cheyenne are reasonable compared to Colorado. The Snowy Range in Wyoming is about an hour and a half away and is some of the prettiest country in the world. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 2 hours and the Fort Collins area state parks are about an hour to an hour and a half - fairly convenient. The Medicine Bow Mountains are close by (30 minutes) with some great mountain biking and short hikes. It's a great place to live, but cosmopolitan and gourmet it is not. Winters can be a bit gnarly if you're not used to cold. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbymcsnoddy View Post
I've lived all over Wyoming, and currently live in Cheyenne. The view from Interstate 80 is deceiving - the downtown area is actually very nice, and there are some great parks. I agree with the previous post... there really aren't any good "gourmet" eateries. However, Fort Collins does have some and it is only 35-40 minutes away. Prices for real estate in Cheyenne are reasonable compared to Colorado. The Snowy Range in Wyoming is about an hour and a half away and is some of the prettiest country in the world. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 2 hours and the Fort Collins area state parks are about an hour to an hour and a half - fairly convenient. The Medicine Bow Mountains are close by (30 minutes) with some great mountain biking and short hikes. It's a great place to live, but cosmopolitan and gourmet it is not. Winters can be a bit gnarly if you're not used to cold. Good luck.
Hi--I grew up in Cheyenne--don't live there anymore. Just wanted to put out there that Cheyenne does have some local restaurants--they're not gourmet, but they're definatly decent-- Los Amigos (mexican), poor richards (american), the albany (old fashioned steakhouse)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming