Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:34 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I plan on driving from Arizona to northern Yellowstone next week to do some photography in the Lamar Valley. My plan is to stay in Gardiner, MT, and to drive the road to Cooke Valley every day. That road stays open, I'm told. I'm hoping to see some wildlife. Other than that, I have no plans. I might rent a snowmobile one day if that makes sense, or possibly hook up with a snow coach tour for a day. However, I have no leads on either of those yet. Just gonna play it by ear.

If anybody has any suggestions for me, has any tips on specific locations to find wildlife, has any friends who might want to rent me a snowmobile and/or tell me where to go (be nice), or wants to hook up and show me around, I'm all ears! Any and all opinions, insults, and compliments are welcome.

PS: I may cross-post this to Montana, because that's where I'll be staying.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,746 times
I have no tips for ya, but I'm envious of your trip. Have a blast and post some pics when you get back!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Hey, somebody gets it.

I'll be sure and do that. Thanks, WyattE!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Have a ton of fun! Sounds like a very fun trip you are planning...

Have you checked into the snow coaches they have in yellowstone itself? That is another idea...

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Have a ton of fun! Sounds like a very fun trip you are planning...

Have you checked into the snow coaches they have in yellowstone itself? That is another idea...
Thanks, Kristynwy! It should be interesting, that's for sure!

I am definitely going to check into the snow coaches when I get out there. The only information I've seen on them are usually as part of photographic tours which are unbelievably expensive (think thousands of dollars). The non-photographic tours don't typically cater to photographers so much. But... who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,853 times
kdog,
We went to Yellowstone in February 2007. We rented snowmobiles and went to Old Faithful. It was wonderful!!! My kids rode on the back and loved it. Wildlife everywhere. Buffalo walking in the middle of the road. Elk standing 10 yards of the road. Snow everywhere. Course, I from South Alabama and we don't see very much snow here. "NONE!" ha There were several rental companies out in West Yellowstone. Hope you have fun!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Roll Tide, thanks for the info! Sounds awesome. I will definitely look into renting snowmobiles as they would allow me to access areas I could not get to otherwise.

Question: do you drive the snowmobile directly away from the rental place, or do you/they transport it to a location close to where you'll be using it? Also, is this a guided tour or are you on your own? I'm wondering how one knows where they're going out there.

Thanks, and you just received your first rep point on CityData.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 14,853 times
kdog, Yes, you leave from the rental shop. Our tour was guided. I don't remember if you can go on your own or not.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Ah. The guided thing would be a problem if there are other folks on the tour because my needs as a photographer are different. In short, I would drive everybody else crazy because it takes a lot of time for me to stop and set up shots. I'll still gonna check it out though!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ah. The guided thing would be a problem if there are other folks on the tour because my needs as a photographer are different. In short, I would drive everybody else crazy because it takes a lot of time for me to stop and set up shots. I'll still gonna check it out though!
I've never rented a snowmobile in Yellowstone, but I have over here in the Big Horns. You rent a machine and go. Don't have to be with anybody. But you can opt for guided runs for a little extra money. But in the Big Horns, we have Thousands of Miles of groomed trail, so you won't get lost as long as you do venture very far off the trail. Also, should a storm move in, they'll patrol the groomed trails helping folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming