Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM

28 posts, read 96,694 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We just got back from checking out Fort Mill, and liked what we saw. My question is, we saw one neighborhood that we liked, and we thought it was in Ft Mill, but it's actually Indian Land. How can you find out the difference? The address said Ft Mill. (BTW-it was Belair by Pulte Homes).

We also liked Knightsbridge and Waterstone. Most of the new construction neighborhoods seemed a little sparse, like there were no trees or greenery.

Last edited by emski; 04-28-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emski View Post
Hi everyone. We just got back from checking out Fort Mill, and liked what we saw. My question is, we saw one neighborhood that we liked, and we thought it was in Ft Mill, but it's actually Indian Land. How can you find out the difference? The address said Ft Mill. (BTW-it was Belair by Pulte Homes).

We also liked Knightsbridge and Waterstone. Most of the new construction neighborhoods seemed a little sparse, like there were no trees or greenery.
We've built a new house in Walden Park, which is in Fort Mill. It's just south of the intersection of 21 and 160. Prices range from 250 - 300.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:

It can get very confusing...and I try and point it out often on these boards as much as I can...because there is a difference. First off what creates the biggest confusion...the zip codes. Fort Mill has two zip codes: 29708 and 29715. Indian Land, SC uses the zip code 29715 as well..as they do not have one of their own. So one tip off would be if you see a home that you like and it's within the 29715 zip code...you may wish to check into it a little farther to see where in fact you really are. There are a couple of ways you can do that...if you go to a new builders website either look to see what school district the new homes are located in (if in fact it is located in Indian Land the schools would state Indian Land schools which are within the Lancaster School District/Lancaster County). Another way you can double check...is to use mapquest. Use the driving map section and enter Fort Mill as your start location and Indian Land, SC as your final destination. If you now follow your path from Fort Mill (traveling down hwy160 you will see the border line for Fort Mill (York County) and Indian Land (Lancaster County) happens to be a creek (Sugar Creek). So once you cross over Sugar Creek you are now in Indian Land. Another thing to remember is that no where does Fort Mill reach 521.

Lack of trees or greenery...Sadly that seems to be a fact of life around here with alot of the newer construction...that it is cheaper for the builder to clearcut the land versus...saving any of the trees. That was one of the biggest draws of Tega Cay for us as we have so many mature trees here (we are known as the city of trees). Now if you were open to resell homes you will tend to find more trees.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 AM

We're open to re-sale. Like I said, 2 of our favorites were resell neighborhoods. Maybe we'll check out Tega Cay for new construction. My other concern with buying in a brand new neighborhood is that if they're still building when we go to sell, then it'll be that much harder. For example, we checked out Legacy Park, and after seeing the 2 homes for sale there, decided that we would build new if we bought there (I also now know it's actually in Indian Land).

Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 AM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
I live in the "Indianland" portion of Fort Mill. However, I don't understand why it would be a problem to understand which part of Fort Mill a subdivision or house is in! Indianland is in Lancaster County, a fact which is clearly marked by signs and on maps. Surely realtors and developers would be glad to tell you whether you are in Lancaster or York County. BTW, the [i]Lancaster[i]portion of Fort Mill will get its own zip code in July, 29707, so maybe that will put your mind at rest. But I don't understand why you would be scandalized at the prospect of possibly being tricked to living in Indianland (if such a thing were possible). The area is much more convenient to most areas of Charlotte, only minutes to I-485, Ballantyne, and Carolina Place/Pineville, in fact most people from the "real" Fort Mill cut through Indianland to get to these places. Schools are considered to be very good, with all new buildings in the works or completed. Lots of retail, including Walmart (maybe not so good), Harris Teeter, etc. Thousands of new homes are under construction (including Belair at Carolina Lakes, which seems very nice) and over 15000 have been approved for eventual construction. Maybe you should get off your high horse and consider the Lancaster side of Fort Mill....

Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
I live in the "Indianland" portion of Fort Mill. However, I don't understand why it would be a problem to understand which part of Fort Mill a subdivision or house is in! Indianland is in Lancaster County, a fact which is clearly marked by signs and on maps. Surely realtors and developers would be glad to tell you whether you are in Lancaster or York County. BTW, the [i]Lancaster[i]portion of Fort Mill will get its own zip code in July, 29707, so maybe that will put your mind at rest. But I don't understand why you would be scandalized at the prospect of possibly being tricked to living in Indianland (if such a thing were possible). The area is much more convenient to most areas of Charlotte, only minutes to I-485, Ballantyne, and Carolina Place/Pineville, in fact most people from the "real" Fort Mill cut through Indianland to get to these places. Schools are considered to be very good, with all new buildings in the works or completed. Lots of retail, including Walmart (maybe not so good), Harris Teeter, etc. Thousands of new homes are under construction (including Belair at Carolina Lakes, which seems very nice) and over 15000 have been approved for eventual construction. Maybe you should get off your high horse and consider the Lancaster side of Fort Mill....
Not really sure what your problem is. I never insulted Indian Land. In fact, I mentioned that our favorite new construction neighborhood was IN Indian Land (the Belair which you mentioned and I wrote about in my original post-you obviously did not read the entire post). I didn't realize it was an insult to want to live in one particular town over another. We would prefer Ft Mill and the York County side for our own reasons, and none of what I wrote merrits your rude remarks.

I also never said we were being tricked into it, nor that we were scandalized at the prospect. Those are your words, not mine. We simply do not know the area very well, and didn't realize that we were looking in Indian Land vs. Ft Mill.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 AM

16 posts, read 53,403 times
I am thinking you REALLY need a Realtor. All you questions can be answered easily.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdeviner View Post
I am thinking you REALLY need a Realtor. All you questions can be answered easily.
We have one, except that she is based in Gaston County, which is where we originally started looking. She doesn't know as much about the SC side.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM

425 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:

We just bought in and love White Grove. Lots of mature trees, walking trails, open space and playgrounds. Home are in various price ranges. WE bought one that is 8 years old not sure about the others. We were lucky and got a basement which we really wanted but I don't think many homes in there have one. The neighborhhod just had the vibe that this is 'home' when we visited. My kids will go to Fort Mill Elementary and we had a tour and I think it is terrific. Good luck in your search I know what a daunting task it can be. WHen you find it you will know !!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 AM

70 posts, read 218,150 times
If she were a good, decent realtor who genuinely cared about her customer, she would partner with another agent from the fort mill area to help you out. I'd at least suggest it. We are working with one now and I call/email her every day with more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties