Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,228 times

Advertisements

I downloaded 3 scanner applications on my iphone, they all have tons of counties in NC and SC, yet, 2 dont even list York County. One does, but the channel is "offline". Any reason York County doesnt broadcast their scanner frequency? Is there anything I can do to listen to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 55,875 times
hmmm... good question... anyone?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Can I get a regular scanner (at radio shack, etc) and listen? Im not asking the question JUST for my iphone app, more or less, in general if theres a way to listen to Police, Fire and EMS.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times
if it is offline it doesnr matter if your on a qweather radio or your phone- its offline. I assume its because some of our areas have volunteer locartions, so there would be nobody manning the system. I'm in Waxhaw and the only local one i can pick up is Monroe. You have to be accessing an online broadcast

Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 AM

157 posts, read 380,990 times
I may be wrong, but I believe about 2 years ago they upgraded to a new electronic system. The employees at Radio Shack probably know all about it. I was going to buy a scanner in August 2008 and they told me about the upgrade coming soon. I would have to buy a scanner that cost $400+, at the time, to be able to listen.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe about 2 years ago they upgraded to a new electronic system. The employees at Radio Shack probably know all about it. I was going to buy a scanner in August 2008 and they told me about the upgrade coming soon. I would have to buy a scanner that cost $400+, at the time, to be able to listen.
The only one Radio Shack carries is $400. I want to find something I can keep at home that is about half that, if possible. These use to be MUCH more popular back in the 90's I feel, we got ours on QVC then.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 AM

153 posts, read 474,174 times
>> Any reason York County doesn't broadcast their scanner frequency? Is there anything I can do to listen to it?

Most of the public safety communications feeds available via "Scanner" and other iPhone / iPod applications are NOT provided by government agencies. They are provided by scanner hobbyists, who upload the audio from their personal scanners at home to a service provider, such as Winamp, who makes the audio stream available online.

RadioReference, a website for public safety listeners, probably has the largest collection of providers.

The audio streams can go offline on a temporary basis, such as when a provider loses their internet connection at home, or on a permanent basis. Sometimes a stream is terminated if the provider violates his / her terms of agreement with the service provider.

If the audio stream you select is offline, you might find another source for a similar stream at another web address. Otherwise, you may be out-of-luck with the iPhone.

>> Can I get a regular scanner (at radio shack, etc) and listen?

You can, but you have to acquire a scanner capable of receiving P25 digital trunking. There are 3 scanner brands available in the U.S. that sell P25 scanners - Uniden, Radio Shack and GRE, although GRE makes most of the current Radio Shack scanners.

The newer Uniden digital scanners sell in the $450-500 range due to their extensive feature sets. The GRE and Radio Shack models are a little less, but Radio Shack occasionally runs sales on some scanners ... both in-store and on the web. Radio Shack is the only dealer with a local presence ... for those who like to see and feel, before buying.

As a scanning hobbyist, I always warn new hobbyists that the York County P25 trunked system is not the easiest public safety system to monitor with a consumer-grade scanner. The system can broadcast voice communications on up-to 9 towers simultaneously, and each tower uses the same frequencies. That can create issues if a scanner is receiving the same communications from 2 or more towers at about the same time. If the York County trunked system was analog, the communications might sound garbled, but when it's digital, a listener might only hear digital noise.

>> I may be wrong, but I believe about 2 years ago they upgraded to a new electronic system.

Agencies began moving to the P25 system in December of 2006. Some of the VHF and UHF analog channels that York County agencies were using before the trunked system was built are still in use, with a few switches in who is using the channel.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Jeff: Thanks for all that GREAT info! Would you recommend finding a scanner to try and listen to York County? Will I hear enough from it, or will it just be a big frustration?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM

153 posts, read 474,174 times
Kind of hard to judge your level of frustration, vs. spending a few hundred dollars on a non-essential item.

I will mention that Radio Shack has a 30 (?) return policy, and they will usually program their scanners with local agencies for free. The Pro 106 P25 scanner is a popular model, and is currently on-sale. (I have no association or financial ties to Radio Shack).

There is a wealth of information about scanners, scanning, agencies frequencies, and related hobbies on the RadioReference website (www.radioreference.com). Most of the site subsections are available without creating a user name.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Indian Land View Post
Kind of hard to judge your level of frustration, vs. spending a few hundred dollars on a non-essential item.

I will mention that Radio Shack has a 30 (?) return policy, and they will usually program their scanners with local agencies for free. The Pro 106 P25 scanner is a popular model, and is currently on-sale. (I have no association or financial ties to Radio Shack).

There is a wealth of information about scanners, scanning, agencies frequencies, and related hobbies on the RadioReference website (www.radioreference.com). Most of the site subsections are available without creating a user name.
This the one your talking about?

PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

If so, the only downside is its handheld, and im looking for something that can be plugged into the wall. What about this: PRO-163 1000-Channel Triple Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner - RadioShack.com

Though this one seems a lot cheaper: Uniden® BC370CRS 300-Channel All Hazards AM/FM Scanner - RadioShack.com

After reading the radio reference website, im torn between the last 2 links I sent. They seem very similar and do a lot of the same, but 2 different brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties