Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

I know a older person, call him John, and their nephew's brother in law, Bob, is age 45.
Bob inherited his home from his Mother. He owns a car.
He is out of work and has a hernia. He has no insurance. He says he was denied Medicaid.
From what I know about Medicaid, one of the most common reasons you are not eligible, is because you have assets (like cash or stocks) of $2000.00 or more.
Bob did some odd job for John last week. John gave him $25.00. Bob was upset because he was not paid more. His story is that he is out of work and broke.

If out of work and broke, why is he not eligible for Medicaid?

Could Bob be trying to fool people by not telling his friends, etc. the financial information that he is telling Medicaid? I asked John if they had seen his bank accounts or had first hand knowledge of Bob's financial position. The answer was no.

John assumes Bob is being honest about his assets.
If he is, why is he not eligible for Medicaid?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM

261 posts, read 480,549 times
I think you just answered your own question. Although he may not have income coming in, he does have assets (his house) that Medicaid considers a resource and therefore he is ineligible for the program. Just because you are "broke" doesn't mean that you don't have anything.

What I can't figure out is why John would care so much about the financial position of his nephew's brother-in-law. Bob is a grown man and can fend for himself I am sure.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM

John told me that Bob is not eligible for Mediaid because he owns a house. (not for any other reason)

My Grandmother was in a nursing home the last 3 years of her life. She had to pay for it, until she ran out of money. They could not take her house. When all she had left was her house, Medicaid began to pay the medical bills.
So, home ownership by my Grandmother did not deny her medical under Medicaid. Medicare does not pay for nursing homes, it is the person's financial obligation until they are out of money. When they are down to nothing but their house, Medicaid did pay.

Bob appears to be in the same position, nothing left but his house and car.
So, Bob is expected to sell his home to pay for medical treatment for his hernia?

Many years ago I was on food stamps. I was eligible because of my income. I applied for Medicaid and I was not denied because I owned a dwelling, but I was denied because I had over $3100 in a retirement account and that exceeded the $2000 limit.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Individuals must meet specific financial criteria in order to be eligible for Medicaid in S.C.

Resources are generally defined as those assets including both real and personal property that an individual owns and can use to meet basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter (after exclusions). Resource limits vary by coverage group and marital status.

The following resources are excluded:
·the value of the home; <<<<<<<
·the value of one automobile;
·the value of life estate interest in real property;
·the value of household goods and personal effects;
·the value of undivided interest in heirs' property;
·up to $1500 set aside for the individual’s burial (an additional $1500 for a spouse, if living); and
·the cash value of life insurance policies owned by the individual when the total face value of all policies is $5000 or less.

Medicaid Program - Financial Eligibility - South Carolina

Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 PM

261 posts, read 480,549 times
If he cannot be excluded because he owns a home then it is probably because he has too many assets to qualify. Your friend John is wrong or his nephew's BIL is wrong.

Again, why does he care. Does he have a vested interest in this man's welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties