Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times

Advertisements

I noticed about a week ago that Ryans Steakhouse is no longer open in front of the Galleria? I know the company has been through some changes, but anyone know what happened to this store?

Still excited that Buffalo Wild Wings and 5 Guys is opening near there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 PM

259 posts, read 798,090 times
I don't know what happened to Ryan's but I hear that Golden Corral is renovating and will open in that spot in January. From what I understand, they will close the one on Anderson Rd.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM

63 posts, read 299,032 times
Diabetes, puts a damper on repeat business.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Ryan's used to be based out of Greer, SC, but they sold out a few years ago to a different company, and have been declining ever since. Most of their stores are closing, and Golden Corral seems to be dominating in that segment of the restaurant business. But in its heyday, Ryan's was very good. Sorry to see it declining.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,843 times
They also closed the Ryan's in Gastonia. I, too was wondering what happened. It was an ok place to eat.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
went to a ryans in columbia for the first time in years. was really good. ironically we went to a golden corral the night before. few things came up

1.) golden corral was messy, not in the food area but the dining area was all unorganized, chairs everywhere, etc....
2.) golden corral in my experience has a lot more variety but that variety is average at best. ice cream tastes funny, macaroni was not macaroni. not sure what i ate to be honest. mash potatoes were good but then again its tough to screw those up.
3.) both serve the same bread but ryans is by far better in my opinion.
4.) ryan's has limitations on its menu but the food is far superior.
5.) golden corral is the only buffet where i have to use the bathroom before i leave haha. been to 3 different golden corrals. without fail every time i have to go use the facilities for a good 15 minutes as a result of the food.

imo ryans is the better option.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM

78 posts, read 245,667 times
It sounds like Ryan’s must be closing a lot of locations . I use to live in Indian Land and have eaten at the Ryan’s the OP referred to. I now live near Greenville, SC and just noticed the Ryan’s down the street in Simpsonville looked closed. I have to agree that I also preferred Ryan’s to Golden Corral, however I do not eat at either one very often. It is great to hear that BWW and 5 Guys are opening in that area. They both have great food and should do very well .

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

197 posts, read 278,534 times
There was an article in the Herald that Ryan's closed... the whole company is going bankrupt and are closing stores to try to recover (or maybe they are all closing...I can't remember).

I used to eat there when I was little but once they moved to the galleria and went mostly buffet I think their quality really declined...and just kept getting worse and worse. I like Golden Corral but the problem with them is they always have the exact same thing...they hardly ever put anything new there. It's also becoming rundown and dirty...they really need to renovate it. All of their plates are scratched, the carpet smells horrendous (seriously...who had the bright idea to put carpet in a buffet?). And their service got worse under new management (get your own plates, get your own silverware,go get your own rolls, etc.)

Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,531 times
Ryans in Simpsonville, SC closed some time ago. They have a Chinese buffet there now. The parking lot stayed full most of the time and it still closed. There is still one on Laurens Road in Mauldin.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I used to eat there when I was little but once they moved to the galleria and went mostly buffet I think their quality really declined...and just kept getting worse and worse.
My wife and I have had this same thought, that the decline of Ryan's (not just Rock Hill, but all over) began when they went to all buffet. It just wasn't the same. Eventually, they stopped serving steak made to order. We love sirloin tips. I was never a huge fan of Ryan's, but the tips were eatable. Some of the stuff they had (past tense since we don't go there anymore) on their buffet didn't really seem to be food.

They closed in Lancaster and Laurens and two locations closed in the Columbia area to go along with Rock Hill.

On a related note, I miss the family friendly (in terms of price) steak houses like Quincy's and Western Sizzlin. They are downright impossible to find now, although the WS in Clemson we ate at earlier this year was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties