Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,108,878 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you think there is any long term "hope" for a walkable living arrangement
in places like Riverwalk, Rock Hill?
(assuming it gets built-out like planned)

My own view is that the US will need to build walkable communities, and find a way to connect them with public transport. In the long run, driving is going to get much more expensive, it is only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,675,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you think there is any long term "hope" for a walkable living arrangement
in places like Riverwalk, Rock Hill?
(assuming it gets built-out like planned)

My own view is that the US will need to build walkable communities, and find a way to connect them with public transport. In the long run, driving is going to get much more expensive, it is only a matter of time.
It's really hard to say.

The majority of Charlotte is inhabited by people who moved to Charlotte from other parts of the country.

I don't know that the Riverwalk development will be as attractive to outsiders, as certain areas of Charlotte are.

I do know that Rock Hill is seeking to make a name for itself among the athletic/active bunch.

Yet while I can't speak for all Rock Hill residents, the ones I know prefer, and purpose, to live the lifestyle of their forefathers - that being a semi-rural lifestyle, which is car dependent.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,108,878 times
"Yet while I can't speak for all Rock Hill residents, the ones I know prefer, and purpose, to live the lifestyle of their forefathers - that being a semi-rural lifestyle, which is car dependent."

Sure, there's an element of car dependency.
But if you go back far enough, many of the towns had rail links, and a viable Main Street near the station. That has been mostly lost. But many of the old homes are still there, even though the trains don't stop anymore.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,809,911 times
You're going to have a hard time surviving in Rock Hill or Fort Mill without a vehicle. Even in a community like Riverwalk there's going to be something you're going to want to do and you will have to drive there. They won't put a bus line to get you to all places and a train is pretty far fetched.

Charlotte is where you want to be, and even then in a community like Dilworth you're going to want a car I suspect.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,675,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
You're going to have a hard time surviving in Rock Hill or Fort Mill without a vehicle. Even in a community like Riverwalk there's going to be something you're going to want to do and you will have to drive there. They won't put a bus line to get you to all places and a train is pretty far fetched.

Charlotte is where you want to be, and even then in a community like Dilworth you're going to want a car I suspect.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
But if you go back far enough, many of the towns had rail links, and a viable Main Street near the station. That has been mostly lost. But many of the old homes are still there, even though the trains don't stop anymore.
Unfortunately, IMHO, new urbanism is, in many ways, a failure.

I am originally from just outside of NYC. Nothing beats old urban development. For within walking distance can most household goods, produce/butchers, restaurants, be found.

A combination of suburbia and mass corporatism did away with mom and pop establishments, and shopping plazas/big box retailers tend to contribute to a car dependent lifestyle.

I don't know how familiar you are with this area, but it seems to me that most natives are not car dependent because they're lazy; they prefer a laid back lifestyle in the country. Yet if a homestead in a rural area is too far from work, or priced out of their range, many will go to a suburban development.

In addition to the Dilworth area, check out South End. There are many like minded people in these areas, and you might have the opportunity to contribute to new developments.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,224,344 times
Default Not sure if you are still looking.....

But I figured I would try and get this thread back on track if you are.

There is a website called airbnb that you might be interested in. I read about the company some time back in a business magazine. It is a place where you can rent a room (or even a whole house) from someone. In most cases it would be for business travel or a vacation destination but there are some where you can rent for a month at a time. I punched in some local areas and the prices would be in your range.

Just a thought

https://www.airbnb.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalan6622 View Post
I don't have any crazy debt or anything and a low car payment because I put money down. I may have to get a 1 bedroom though, so that's going to make things more expensive. Peachtree has lower 1 BR prices and Millcrest and Peachtree are both pretty close on 2 bedroom stuff. If I have to get a 1 BR by myself, I'm going to have to pay more than you. $200 more in rent per month and all utilities myself instead of split also. That will make it harder. So I feel like I could definitely do it with a roommate, but not so sure about on my own. Do you feel like you could afford it without a roommate right now?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times
Millcrest is the best choice given your situation. My favorite apartment complex in Fort Mill is the Paddock at Springfield though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties