Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM

100 posts, read 213,178 times

Advertisements

We use Direct TV and use Comporium for internet, then have an Ooma for a land line.

Direct TV - We like them, we had an issue with the installer grounding our whole house out. We were fortunate the Comporium found it when they were installing our Cable Internet.

Comporium - I don't care for them, they charge way too much for their services. I worked from home for years and I would loose internet at least once a day and we have packet loss galore but we have no choice but to use them. We had their TV service for a short time and they were really behind the times technologically but charged the same as companies such as Comcast.

Ooma - Love the ooma, we have saved hundreds using the equipment and it works great unless we get dropped from Comporium. www.ooma.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 AM

135 posts, read 195,555 times
A lot of people complain about Comporium but I've had them for 7 years now for internet and have thankfully never had an issue. I really think it depends on the state of the lines in the area that your home is.

I have an antenna for TV, along with Netflix & Amazon Prime.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda78 View Post
Can someone advise what the approx. cost is monthly from Comporium for cable/internet and landline phone? Sounds like there is not much choice for these services in the Fort Mill
We have cable modem internet which used to be called high speed #1 and we have cable TV, basic and basic plus and it is $118 after a $5 bundle discount.

When you said "We have never heard of Comporium" then you were in good shape.
Now that you have heard of it............
Well some of of wish we had more options.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM

351 posts, read 656,702 times
You can bundle internet and cable with Comporium for 79.99 for two years. We don't have a landline, so I'm not sure how that would figure in. But considering Dish kept going up on us where we were paying $73/mo for basic (expanded) channels, I felt like Comporium was the better deal. And I like that they won't raise their rate during the contracted 2 years.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM

197 posts, read 278,616 times
We have comporium cable modem and never had many problems. Every now and then we will, but it is rare (a few times a year). They do cost more than I would like, but so does everything (dish network, direct tv, etc.).

We did drop our land line as I just couldn't justify paying $40+ a month for something we rarely used

Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 17,944 times
hey amanda, we are looking to move to the fort mill area from longisland. may i ask if you bought or are renting, and if you can recommend any neighborhoods to check out? thanks

Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Comporium = local family owned telecom monopoly. They carry a fraction of the channels that Time Warner or AT&T carry and they don't have the infrastructure to compete on speed. But there's no choice.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Comporium = local family owned telecom monopoly. They carry a fraction of the channels that Time Warner or AT&T carry and they don't have the infrastructure to compete on speed. But there's no choice.

Will it take some new government regulation or some company like Google offering frre TV online to give real choices?
Does ABC make any money because Comporium carries their channel?
Would ABC care financially if we were able to get their channel in some other way?

The curious thing was a group of 6 of us wrote a letter to the president of TW in N.Y. and asked why can you not provide cable TV or DSL internet to the entire county, why just Clover, Indian Land, which are the less populated areas? The two largest cities are not served by your company.
Can you explain why?
He never even replied to the letter. He knows why as does Comporium. The company owners don't want the general public to know the truth.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Will it take some new government regulation or some company like Google offering frre TV online to give real choices?
Does ABC make any money because Comporium carries their channel?
Would ABC care financially if we were able to get their channel in some other way?

The curious thing was a group of 6 of us wrote a letter to the president of TW in N.Y. and asked why can you not provide cable TV or DSL internet to the entire county, why just Clover, Indian Land, which are the less populated areas? The two largest cities are not served by your company.
Can you explain why?
He never even replied to the letter. He knows why as does Comporium. The company owners don't want the general public to know the truth.
TW doesn't want to go to the expensive of all the equipment it would take to provide the internet to the entire county. Telecommunication companies are responsible for expenses related to their portion of utility poles or infrastructure. If they bury their lines it's still the telecommunications responsibility and expense. Comporium (formerly RH Telephone) has all the poles, lines and infrastructures. Comporium owns almost as many poles as the City of RH does.

Comporium had no problems with TW coming to the community knowing full well TW would not go to the expense of equipment, labor to install, permits required and Comporium will not let TW use their equipment. Comporium has had this area for over 100 years, they have had years to cover every nook and cranny in our area. Plus they are in bed with the City of RH and really the whole county. In addition they are one of our largest employers.

This article was in the newspaper last year, but nothing more has been said about it. You can see from the article Rock Hill spent years negotiating the agreements with these companies (probably thinking the companies would give up and go away.)

Rock Hill approves deals with 3 telecom providers | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM

23 posts, read 41,234 times
Thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties