Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 AM

75 posts, read 222,331 times

Advertisements

PA Family - you poor thing, that's horrible to put a stop at the last minute!You were really lucky to have someone buy so quickly afteward. It is getting to my family and I because its been so long since we visited there. Starting to feel like it was all in our heads!
I think the big thing about Baxter was the David Weekly model that we fell in love with I haven't seen any other David Weekly's anywhere else in Fort Mill Of course, I really like the idea of having a community center. I'm tired of being bored. Of course a gloomy winter day here doesn't help. I'm glad you all got some rain finally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
The lots are not that small in Baxter. If you live near the town center, the homes are closer together and the set backs are closer to the street. Most of the homes in the town center area have alley ways to the garages... Most of the newer sections, last 2 years, have driveways and back yards... There are also larger lots in the newer sections, if you back up to the woods...even larger. Baxter's concept is modeled after a typical town, with small inner city lots near the center and larger more suburban lots as you move away from the center. Not to knock other neighborhoods but all of the homes in Baxter have fiber cement siding or brick... sure looks a lot better than vinyl.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
We bought a house in NoNJ in 2001. Then in July 2006 we sold and moved here. We bought a house in October 2006 that was 50% bigger than our NoNJ house (we went from 1800 sq ft to 2700 sq ft), with 10% of the taxes (from $10K down to $1K). But the sales price of each home was the exact same - mid $200s.

We could have gone "crazy" and bought a more expensive house, but we thought we'd take advantage of the change and have our money go towards something OTHER than the mortgage.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
A friend of mine just bought a house in Baxter that is on just over half an acre. Are there lots that big in Knightsbridge, or Whitegrove, or whereever?

Baxter is not for everyone, I agree with you there. But I would never speak ill of your neighborhood just because I chose to not live there. Sorry if I am taking this a little bit personal but I get tired of the people that don't want to live in Baxter, trashing Baxter. I have a very good friend that absolutely loved Baxter while she lived here. They decided to downsize a little and cashed out at a GREAT time (they made about $80,000 before realtor fees) but now seems to trash Baxter every time we get together. Very annoying. It is like some people feel they have to have their decision validated.

The great thing about the neighborhood is that there is pretty much something for everyone. Yes it is a little pricier than some other neighborhoods but most of the houses are VERY well built. There are teeny tiny lots like mine and there are plenty of 1/2 acre lots as well. There are 1700 SF houses and there are 5000+ SF houses. There are several homes that have pools in their backyards, sheds, workshops, etc.

Also, when I decided to buy in Baxter, not only did I like the neighborhood but most importantly I WAS looking at resale. My old next door neighbor bought 3 1/2 years ago and sold it 1 1/2 years ago. In just a little over two years they made $150,000 off that house. Celebrations in Orlando, which the neighborhood is based on was priced very modestly many years ago when that neighborhood started. Those $250,000 houses are now going for $600,000+. Whether or not this area will follow suit is left to be seen but I think you get my point.

There are many neighborhoods that I bet will be run down 15-20 years from now but I don't think Baxter will be one of them.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
agreed jenn0274. great post!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
I didn't bash Baxter. I merely talked pricing.

Our lot in Knightsbridge is .25 - which is bigger than the .16 we had in NoNJ, so it's an improvement for us.

I personally love the idea of Baxter - we looked at all the models when we visited the area in November 2005 to try and decide where we wanted to live. We passed on Baxter, but I think the "urban village" idea is fantastic, and if it hadn't been much more than we wanted to spend, I think we would have moved in.

My only quibble with your post is whether my house will appreciate compared to those in Baxter, along with how well-kept the neighborhood will be. The folks on my street in Knightsbridge (and all the streets I go through to get to my house) take care of their homes and have lovely curb appeal. Every house I've been in has been beautifully kept and cared for. I also know the people we bought our house from made a $120K profit on the house. It may not have appreciated as quickly as Baxter, but it still appreciated. And I know in the 16 months we've been in the house our house has appreciated as well - by about $25,000 based on the comps of current homes on the market and recent sales in K'bridge. So I have no complaints whatsoever and am quite comfortable with my choice to live in K'bridge.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
Girl, I wasn't referring to your post at all. Your posts were not condescending in the least. Also, I wasn't implying that only Baxter appreciated. Fortunately all of Fort Mill has done well and I believe it will continue to do so. We might have a slight downturn for the next year or so but I think it will turnaround more quickly than other areas of the country or state. Knightsbridge was not one of the neighborhoods I was referring to. One of my best friends lives in Knightsbridge and I like the neighborhood alot. I was referring to some of the posts that implied that Baxter was crammed together and that the new urban concept wouldn't resell well.

I'm sorry if I came across as overly sensitive. You have to understand that this isn't the first time by far that I have heard someone literally trash Baxter to my face left and right. I would never, ever go into anyone's neighborhood, city, state, country, or wherever and say I hated it or talk trash about it. It may not be for me but there is a much better way of saying things like maybe "I wanted a bigger lot" or "I want to live in a neighborhood without homeowner's fees" or "I wanted an all brick house". Not, "the houses are all crammed together how can anyone stand that" or "people are stupid for living in neighborhoods with homeowner associations" or "non all brick houses are crap, etc."

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,300 times
Well, I hope you weren't taking my comments as "trashing" Baxter either. This board exists to help transplants learn about an area they've never seen before. By posting our "opinions" and "comparisons" to what we know and loved/disliked, we can help newcomers pick what is right for "them".

My lot in Knightsbridge is 1/3 acre and yes, there are some areas in Baxter that appear to have larger lots. But, to me the overall feel of Baxter is packed. And no, our neighborhood isn't perfect either. I really miss having sidewalks throughout the neighborhood and having a "duck pond" and walking trails like my last neighborhood.

But after escaping from the overcrowded mess that is the Washington, DC area I just wanted some breathing room. So, Baxter didn't seem, to me, to be what I was looking for. To me, it feels like Fairfax County in NoVa, where land is all built out and the only solution is to tear down and build much more dense housing.

So, I post my opinion in hopes that those relocating from similar areas might have a point of comparison when doing their fact-gathering in advance of a move. I'm sure your opinions will help readers too. Obviously a lot of people like Baxter or there wouldn't be lots (I'm guessing 500 - 1000?) homes built and occupied there.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 22,471 times
Default Another PA original

PA Family,

I've been researching the area and this site (which is great) to help get an idea if Fort Mills is a place I'd enjoy. I'm originally from Royersford/Limerick PA were I lived til I was 21. Moved to Colorado and now in Kansas City; most of my moves were for work reasons such as this one would be. My girlfrind and I (both 40) are looking for an area with the small town feel but has everything you need within a few minutes drive. I play golf currently every weekend so I need to be close to a golf course thats challanging. Our price range is 350-450K which I know is a broad range but I'd love to have some land with the house.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 AM

269 posts, read 1,057,353 times
I also started out in PA - then did the FL thing for 10 years, and now I'm a halfback as of 12/07. I just signed a contract to build my new home in Baxter and CAN'T WAIT. I love the small town feel that is absent in many modern developments. I love that the home that I'm building looks EXACTLY like the 1940 something home that was on the main street of the town that I grew up in. (Jim Thorpe, PA) I'm currently renting and the atmosphere in Baxter Village has just the transition for my family seamless as they were all able to quickly make friends and feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties