Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 PM

75 posts, read 222,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, when we visited last we found the houses to be a bit high. We liked a model home in Baxter Village, but it was rather high for us by about $50,000. I understand Baxter is in demand though.
Question: Anyone that has recently bought a home - did you find you could buy a more expensive home because the taxes are low in Fort Mill, SC? Our taxes in Chester County, PA are ridiculous, but the houses are a bit lower. Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,808 times
I'm not sure what your tax rates are but if its like others that have moved here from PA I bet its high!

To answer your question. Yes, a lot of people find they can afford more home here due to the difference in taxes, especially if they are escrowing and its affecting the monthly payment by a lot.

However, nobody can really answer that for you besides yourself and a good, honest lender.

Baxter is a community that sells very well, there are other sellers and builders that are motivated so you might find a few that were originally just out of reach to be back in.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks Charlottean for your input. I've heard (and seen in the booklet we received) that there are a few new developments. The only thing is they may be Nations Ford HS rather than Fort Mill HS, and I'm wary of living so close to Carowinds.
I am hoping we can afford a little more with the taxes low. Many thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,500 times
I think Baxter Village is way overpriced too. What will all those crammed together houses look like in 15 years? You have to consider resale value when you invest in a home. Not just buy in the "in" neighborhood. Just my 2 cents!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgayle View Post
Hi, when we visited last we found the houses to be a bit high. We liked a model home in Baxter Village, but it was rather high for us by about $50,000. I understand Baxter is in demand though.
Question: Anyone that has recently bought a home - did you find you could buy a more expensive home because the taxes are low in Fort Mill, SC? Our taxes in Chester County, PA are ridiculous, but the houses are a bit lower. Many thanks
I just moved here ( in June) from Downingtown in Chester County PA. Our house here cost would be close to double up there and our taxes are about 1/4 if that. We bought in White Grove, we have 4,200 sq feet and almost 1/2 acre. The other nice thing here is our HOA dues are 200 per YEAR not month like some places. PM me if you want actual figures of the house tax etc..

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM

146 posts, read 451,749 times
We also moved from Chester County, East Goshen/West Chester area and although we had a bigger house in PA and a much bigger yard (we were looking for lower maintenance then the older very large home we had in PA) our house here would go for at least 200k more in PA. Our taxes are a joke in comparison- less then 1/4 of what we paid in Chester County. I think taxes are definitely a factor in comparing housing costs etc.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions as we recently went through it also!

Last edited by PA Family; 01-10-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks sixinthefamily and PA Family, I believe we have emailed before (six) I am the one that lives out in Sadsburyville (near Parksburg). Your words are encouraging thanks! FortMillBound - I know what you mean about Baxter. The concept is nice though. We definitely want to live where there's a community center because where we live now you never see anyone unless they are cutting the grass or shoveling snow! Snobs? I don't know, its just hard to make friends here. I am really looking forward to the friendlier Fort Mill! Needless to say house sales were really slow over the holidays. We just lowered the price of the house (that hurt) but we really want to move already! Our house 4bd house here is hopefully going to sell for around $330K, we've got about 3000 sq feet w the finished walk out basement. Our taxes are nuts as even though we don't live in Coatesville we pay those taxes. I taxes actually went down last year and that was $8,000. and we only have a 1/2 acre. The model house we loved in Baxter by David Weekly was about $385K with a tiny yard. We need to get pre-qualified I know, but it all seems so unreal at htis point cause with winter and no showings. I guess once the house does sell we will have to get a better idea of how much house we can afford in Fort Mill. I will have contact everyone from Chester County, PA once we're ready to move. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,500 times
Default Baxter - just like DC/northern Virginia

I'm probably prejudiced against the Baxter Village layout - I just moved here from the Washington DC metro. I've seen what outlandish land costs do to an area. The lots get smaller and smaller, more and more townhouses, and increasing traffic due to crowding. Why, why would anyone voluntarily choose overcrowding in an area like this where there's still plenty of land? Yes, I like the village part of Baxter, but guess what? I live in Knightsbridge and I can still use the village! We go to stores, restaurants, the library, YMCA too. It really is Fort Mill's new downtown (though I don't think Fort Mill has figured that out yet or they would annex Baxter Village before Tega Cay does!)

I've got a third acre lot in a cul-del-sac, a walk-out basement and we have friendly neighbors too. I didn't think that Baxter warranted the extra cost. Especially since only a few neighborhoods in Baxter are truly within walking distance of the village center, since Baxter stretches all the way down Hwy 160 (2 miles or so?).

But to each his own! I do have a third of an acre to mow and there was no way to keep it all watered in this drought, even with all the trees we have. I just had to let the backyard die, but it has come back with the recent rain.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
I agree with FortMillBound. Some people like the mixed occupancy situation where they live (retail mixed with residential) but it isn't for us. I too go to Baxter a lot for the same things (my hair salon is there) but because of that, there is traffic. I would not want all that traffic around me...it's different if I choose to deal with the traffic issue by going there. The houses are smaller and too close for my comfort level, but again, to each his own.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM

146 posts, read 451,749 times
I totally agree about Baxter, I go there all the time, but it is nice to come home to my neighborhood. Fortmill Bound- we lived in Fairfax County VA before moving to the philly burbs and we were lucky enough to sell our house in VA in the early 2000s when things were booming and we made a nice profit- however, when I see what houses are going for in the neighborhood now, I can't believe it!!!!!

Gayle- hang in there, we ended up selling our home in East Goshen for 25k less then asking price because my husband was already in Charlotte and I was adament about getting moved in down here before school started. It was worth it for us. All the agents who came to see our home said our house was worth at least asking price if not more, but the buyers realize they have the upperhand.... we got offers all the way down to 100k less then asking! We also had a situation were the buyers pulled out 3 days before closing because they realized they just couldn't afford the house. It was horrible! My kids had already said goodbye to their friends and the moving truck was coming the very next day. In the end we got another buyer a wk later and it was actually a better deal for us.

Hang in there, it will work out! Again, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties