Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 AM

73 posts, read 85,654 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Getting close to making a choice were to live. Narrowed it down to Fort Mill, Indian Land and somewhere in Union County. (Marvin or Waxhaw). Does anyone out there have an opinion on Pulte Homes? Were you happy with the process, and the construction of your home? I also looked at Lennar. I know it is a subjective question but being from out of town and not knowing the area any advice would help. I want to stay on the northern end of Indian Land to be close to Balllantyne and not risk the kids being bused to Lancaster schools also. Our budget is 350 to 450.000 for a house. With that said, with the areas I have mentioned, do you have any insight on new construction areas I might be missing and who has a good reputation in Charlotte for a quality built home. Thanks all,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM

261 posts, read 480,330 times
I'm going to tell you what I've heard from several parents whose children are in the Indian Land schools. They've told me that with the huge influx of people that there are rumors of having to bus the middle and high school students to Lancaster. Yes, there is a new elementary school but it's already bursting at the seams within the second year of being open. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with my child in Indian Land. The schools are good, but I would be too concerned with them being bused to Lancaster. I'm also not aware of any plans to build any new schools in Indian Land either, but I'm not a resident of IL so perhaps they are and I just don't know it. You also have to keep in mind that Indian Land is not a town. It's basically just an unincorporated area of Lancaster County with it's own schools. It's a totally different animal than Fort Mill or Waxhaw.

Good luck! Although I love where I live, I don't envy anyone moving here at this point. It's gotten crazy around here and it's only going to get worse.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 PM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
We avoided IL because of the school issue. We heard a lot of people complain about IL and the crowding. What's interesting is that when I brought up the busing possibility a while back on these boards someone poo-pooed me and said that would never happen, and now it seems that it's on the table. IL is part of a county wide school district, as is Waxhaw in UC, which is why you run the risk of being bused somewhere else other than the school closest to you due to overcrowding. That happened in Union County. You can go onto the Charlotte forum and search Union County Redistricting and there are many angry threads on it. Here's one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...iscussion.html
That's the benefit of being in Fort Mill. Though it's a little more expensive that IL, the residents have more say in what happens with the schools and roads.

As to builders, you're going to get many opinions. Best thing is to visit the model homes and poke around as much as you can and ask to see a house that's still under construction that way you can get a feel for the quality of work and materials.

Our house is from True Homes. We've had very few issues but we were at the construction site almost every other day. The only issue we've had is that it seems that most everything is builder grade material -- which is the case for most builders unless you enter into the closer to 500K price range.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Thanks guys. I might have to take a closer look this weekend. Or consider private. Are they bussing kids on the northern end of Indian Land to Lancaster schools. That just makes no sence to me.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters123 View Post
Thanks guys. I might have to take a closer look this weekend. Or consider private. Are they bussing kids on the northern end of Indian Land to Lancaster schools. That just makes no sence to me.
There's no busing now, it's just rumors. The school district (Lancaster Cty) said it's not in the plans, but they don't have a plan to address what they plan on doing when the high # of kids in the elementary schools eventually make it to the HS and they have no room. It almost seems like they're waiting until then to decide what to do and it's something that takes planning.

Fort Mill has another middle school and High School approved to be built over the next few years which means that by the time my son reaches HS there will be 3 in FM. The one closest to us was built in 2007 and just had a large expansion done.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters123 View Post
Since Indian Land is in Lancaster county, there is no where else to bus them to. As NJCoqui stated Fort Mill, although it isn't perfect, seems to be doing a much better job at trying to handle the growth in respect to schools. They are looking ahead and trying to manage a situation they didn't create (explosive growth) as best they can. I'm not completely happy with the Fort Mill School District, but knowing what I've heard from friends that live elsewhere, I'd chose Fort Mill again.

FYI, Tega Cay is part of the Fort Mill School District too, but that whole area is a huge mess. Too many people in too small a space. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Thanks guys! Yes, I took Tega Cay off the option list a bit ago. What about clover on the West side of the lake? Would that be a disaster trying to get to Ballantyne? Geez, with all the growth issues and schools, it seems like Fort Mill is the way to go. When I first started looking I was looking at Fort Mill but was turned off by all the news about how busy it was and traffic concerns. But schools trump all for us...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Clover to Ballantyne in good traffic is about 45 minutes. In rush hour it would be crazy, IMO.

Take a look at Fort Mill on the west side of 77. I live off of Doby's Bridge Road and, honestly, the traffic isn't that bad and the commute to Ballantyne would be about 30 minutes in the worst of morning traffic. Perhaps, Fort Mill will all even out. I know people who are leaving because they don't like the way things are going population-wise.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:41 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaetadg View Post
Clover to Ballantyne in good traffic is about 45 minutes. In rush hour it would be crazy, IMO.

Take a look at Fort Mill on the west side of 77. I live off of Doby's Bridge Road and, honestly, the traffic isn't that bad and the commute to Ballantyne would be about 30 minutes in the worst of morning traffic. Perhaps, Fort Mill will all even out. I know people who are leaving because they don't like the way things are going population-wise.
If you are talking Doby's Bridge, then I think you meant to say look at EAST side of 77.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
If you are talking Doby's Bridge, then I think you meant to say look at EAST side of 77.
LOL, I make the same mistake all the time as well. I'm almost sure they meant east.

The drawback with being that far down on Doby's Bridge Road is school traffic from IL if you hit it at the wrong time and being far down from the border. We chose being in the NE corner of Fort Mill and have no regrets. The only time it takes me over 20 minutes to get to work is when my timing is off and I get stuck behind school buses in Pineville and Ballantyne. I work on North Community House Rd,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties