Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 16,389 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in the same decision as you are. We have 2 kids and 1 one of them is going kindergarten as well and I also heard from someone else that Fort Mill is very good in schools for south carolina. We were looking into charlotte and suburbs of that but not sure either. NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctory View Post
I must say that I can't stand the bad publicity that CMS schools receive on a daily basis. Everyday I hear of neighbors moving away to Fort Mill because they want to get their kids out of CMS schools. Here are the facts for all of you newcomers and non-believers. The reason why Fort Mill schools have better test scores than CMS is that their standards are LOWER!!!!. Yes, that is right. CMS has once again raised the bar in the curriculum standards that students must reach within each grade level. Also, South Carolina schools as of last year, were rated #50 out of all 50 states in performance. So what does that tell you. If you have easy requirements for students, your test scores are obviously going to be better and show more percentage of students achieving their goals each year. As far as CMS being crowded, Fort Mill is exploding more and more everyday and their schools will be the same soon. In fact, with all of you moving there, CMS will be better off as far as overcrowding here. I am just basically giving the newcomers to our area the facts and coming from NY schools myself, I beleive CMS schools have higher standards. I also personally know teachers from Fort Mill and Rock Hill schools that have transferred to teach in CMS schools and agree that the children in CMS are way ahead of the students at Fort Mill schools in what they are learning. Please understand, I am not in any way knocking Fort Mill schools either as I think they are good schools, but please do not bad mouth CMS anymore. In the end, your students and ours will be side by side in the same colleges and no one will care where they attended public school. No one is more better off than the next. Good luck to all.
Take a hike. If you can't see the difference between the two school districts and how they're handling their growth, then you're clueless.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

24 posts, read 78,631 times
Back to the original question. I too am looking to move to the area and after extensive research, visits to schools, contacts with the districts - we are looking at York 2 Clover area. Why? Growth in Fort Mill. If we buy a house in the Gold Hill Elem. district, our son will be bused to another school. They currently have 3 elementary schools with an enrollment freeze, thus making students in that area be bused to another school. This sounds similiar to CMS.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctory View Post
The reason why Fort Mill schools have better test scores than CMS is that their standards are LOWER!!!!...Also, South Carolina schools as of last year, were rated #50 out of all 50 states in performance. So what does that tell you. If you have easy requirements for students, your test scores are obviously going to be better and show more percentage of students achieving their goals each year.
This is patently FALSE, and in fact the opposite is true. SC's standards are much more stringent than those of other states, and NC's are a bit more lax. That's one reason why SC tends to fall to the bottom of these lists--because the bar is set higher (and I should know, I was educated in SC). Because each state selects its own testing system and sets its own passing scores, there is no direct way to compare the proficiency levels established by one state against the others.

Look where both states rank:

Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Everybody calm down, please.
Yac.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody calm down, please.
Yac.
Ha ha ha...there you are! I was wondering who the Mod was for SC...you don't get a chance to pop in here too often since we're all nice and mellow people here in Y&L, until a troll starts mouthing off false statements!

Nice to meet you, Yac!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is patently FALSE, and in fact the opposite is true. SC's standards are much more stringent than those of other states, and NC's are a bit more lax. That's one reason why SC tends to fall to the bottom of these lists--because the bar is set higher (and I should know, I was educated in SC). Because each state selects its own testing system and sets its own passing scores, there is no direct way to compare the proficiency levels established by one state against the others.

Look where both states rank:
Could you please post the link to where you got this? I would be interested in more recent stats. Thanks! Bummer to where CT was on this!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
^Hoover Institution - Education Next - Johnny Can Read...in Some States (http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/3219636.html - broken link)

Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM

21 posts, read 62,081 times
Default link

I found this one for 2005

Keeping an eye on state standards: a race to the bottom? Checking for truth in advertising; are proficiency levels meaningful? - Education Next | Encyclopedia.com (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-149158990.html - broken link)

Did anyone found a more recent link?

T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Could you please post the link to where you got this? I would be interested in more recent stats. Thanks! Bummer to where CT was on this!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
It is next to impossible to compare schools from one state to another as each state has their own set of standards.

Here is a story they did on CBS last year:

"No Child Left Behind": State Tests Vary, Kelly Wallace: Education Law Has Different Standards For Different States - CBS News

Trying to compare CMS (Charlotte NC) to FMSD (Fort Mill/Tega Cay SC) is like trying to compare David to Goliath. There are bad schools within CMS...and there are some very good schools. It is best to find a school (no matter where it's located) and research the indivdual school (I also recommend taking a tour of the school).

Now in our own personal situation (LBUSD vs. FMSD) my children were both in the excellerated program out in CA (LBUSD)...here in SC (FMSD) my children had to play a bit of catch when we first moved here. While they are now both honor students only one is in the GT program (gifted and talented). Also the grading is a bit different as well (90-to-100 was an A in LBUSD), at FMSD (93-to100 is an A).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties