Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,109 times

Advertisements

Are there any charter or private schools in Fort Mill?

My 3 soon to be 4 kids attend Fort Mill elementary and while fine I really hate how much time is spent by teachers getting kids to try and behave. My one daughter actually cries because her teacher can't teach her. I am in that school A LOT and I know there are bunches of great teachers including my daughter's, I just was not prepared for such an unruly group of students. My one childs classroom in particular. I know it is just a bad mix but it does have me thinking we can not do this again next year. I have heard from someone about a school of the arts in Rock Hill that sounds awesome but we can't attend being FM residents. I would love something like that here- any thoughts ? I really miss art being given all year as do my kids and gym in a trailor just does not cut it. I am trying to supplement but the checkbbok only goes so far.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM

77 posts, read 340,906 times
Isn't it funny that you are thinking about spending your money to get your kids away from the unruly kids in the building? Wouldn't it make more sense to expect more from the small #'s of kids who are disruptive and the administration that tolerates the behavior? Even if the administation doesn't flat-out condone the poor behavior, I'm sure they put heat on the teachers who can't "handle the problem themselves". I say you should go to the teacher regarding your daughter's sadness and demand action - and don't allow them to make this your daughter's problem. This sounds like a school problem that must be resolved. One more quick thing: In situations like this where schools like Orchard Park and Gold Hill are decorated schools, it is very common for the other schools in the district to pretend that their own problems don't exist. In these cases you will often see very few documented discipline problems, few retentions, etc.- nothing that looks bad on paper.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

I have met withe both the teacher and principal, in fact I have another meeting today. The teacher in the classroom in question is awesome- I am in there at least two days a week helping so I see it first hand. The problem is unless she can clone herself there is no way to penalize the mis-behaving students without doing the same to the one's who are behaving. The issue from these group of kids is from their home setting and I don't think the school is going to be able to fix that. Several kids in this class have had out of school suspentions and many in school ones. I just don't feel comfortable leaving my child in that class until something hopefully changes. I am hoping people will respect my position as her mother and the fact that I am not a complainer- but do try to make a difference and possibly support my position and hopefully refer me the info I am looking for.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,300 times
My daughter isn't in school yet, but I think I would ask that she be moved to another teacher's class. Maybe they can't fix the problem, but maybe you can get your daughter into a better situation. Maybe a "threat" to take it to the school board if they are not responsive might make them more willing to move her. I don't blame you for being upset, I'd have a fit if my daughter were in that situation.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
K - I think you need to speak with the guidance counselor and then the principal and request a classroom change for your daughter. You shouldn't have to be the one to move your child out of that school. Your taxes gives you the right to have your children attend that school. They certainly owe it to you to remedy the situation. I would do that first before talking to the superintendent.

E-

Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks, My husband and I are going to meet with the teacher, principal and guidence all together. I know I want the best of all world and that is not going to happen. I would really like my daughter to get to stay with her teacher whom we both like and have the brat pack seperated from each other. I guess we will see what the results of the upcoming meeting are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties