Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM

351 posts, read 656,775 times

Advertisements

How much does DSL with Corporium run per month? I don't necessarily need wireless, just whatever plan is the cheapest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
How much does DSL with Corporium run per month? I don't necessarily need wireless, just whatever plan is the cheapest.
Here is the price list:
High Speed internet package #1 - up to 10Mbps download $45.95
#2 - up to 13Mbps download speed $59.95
#3 - up to 15Mbps $74.95

DSL
#1 up to 7Mbps $45.95
#2 up to 9Mbps $59.95
#3 up to 11Mbps $74.95

So, the same and it appears that DSL is a slower download.
The upload speeds are quoted too and they are the same whether you have cable modem or DSL.

Comporium used to be the Rock Hill Telephone Co.

Part of the dis-satisfaction/complaints, is that we do not have choices.
If we had a choice between Comporium, and Time Warner for example, then we could decide which one we like best. We might choose Comporium, but we get no opportunity to compare.

There are locations in York County that can get TW out of Charlotte.
Rock Hill and Fort Mill are not in those areas. I wrote the TW CEO a letter and asked him why they served Indian Land, Clover, and York and not the two highest populations towns in the county. I got no answer.

I need a small list of 20-25 channels which include 4 PBS stations. Dish and Direct TV packages that are cheaper, don't have the stations I need. The packages that have the stations I need are a higher cost.

My cable TV and internet #1 will be over $100 when my 24 month cable TV special, runs out.
There are people who's income is under $12721 per year.
Mine is, it is $12720. I will be spending close to 10% of my income, for 200 channels, 175 of which I could live without, and internet.

I have a neighbor who can call Comporium and "pay" for any channel he wants for an hour or three.
That is what the cable TV industry needs.
Let us choose a number of channels for a set price.
It is very obvious that Comporium can direct any channels they want, to any home. I had a free 30 days of over 800 channels. After the trial, they scrambled-removed the ones, above the 200 that I get now.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Great. Guess I better prepare myself to spend more money per month for internet. We have AT&T here and it's 19.99 per month.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Great. Guess I better prepare myself to spend more money per month for internet. We have AT&T here and it's 19.99 per month.
Is that price for DSL or regular dialup?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM

DSL. And from what I've heard you can now get DSL through AT&T without having a landline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Is that price for DSL or regular dialup?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
DSL. And from what I've heard you can now get DSL through AT&T without having a landline.
From what many of us know, you have to have Comporium for DSL, or go wireless internet, or live in the parts of the county where you can try Time Warner.

And I thought "D" in DSL meant "dual line" = phone + internet.

From the AT&T site:
I entered my old Gold Hill Road address for DSL without a phone line:
We're sorry, but we're unable to find the address you entered. Please verify the address and try again.
I entered my home address in Rock Hill:
We're sorry, but we're unable to find the address you entered. Please verify the address and try again.
I entered my phone number for line phone and DSL:
We're sorry, but DSL is not available for your location.

So, the answer to all 3 is no.
AT&T might tell you WHY if you call them.
If you call Comporium and ask, they WON'T tell you why.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 46,985 times
Several years ago the Bellsouth/AT&T website let me go through the whole process of setting up a phone, DirecTV and internet accounts(bundled package) with installation dates, the whole nine. Then a couple days later, I got an email stating I was not in their service area.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 AM

30 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
I entered my old Gold Hill Road address for DSL without a phone line:
Gold Hill Rd = Comporium only. That's why. AT&T is generally only available where Rock Hill Telephone never owned the territory. That's mostly along the immediate border areas where RHT couldn't easily build out to back in the 70's. AT&T does not seek out places to overbuild the incumbent phone company unless there's a huge (i.e. lucrative) business park or similar high dollar telecom user located there. They don't overbuild for residential.

Time Warner is only available to wherever they've built out cable plant. Initially they came into Fort Mill (PTL area) and Lancaster from the Pineville border down Dorman/Harrisburg Rd. Nothing on the east side of the rail road tracks at Regent Pkwy/Star Light Dr. will ever see TWC because the rail right of way can't be tunneled under and the railroad won't give them an easement. (Flat out denied it in fact and there's nothing TWC can do about it but build down from Carowinds and that has the issue of having to go under 77.) They're slowly expanding coverage where they have core network plant built but if they have to cross railroad tracks to get to you in Fort Mill, you'll likely never see service.

Plus TWC has seen poor take rates trying to overbuild in Comporium fiber areas (new housing developments). Customers sign up for a promo price and then disconnect when the promo is over. That's why TWC halted in their build out into the other developments at the back of Regent Park around the old PTL place and in the rest of Springfield... most of those homes are on fiber and they were getting negative ROI on the buildout.

As for Clear/Clearwire, don't expect much out of them. Clear has gutted all postpaid plans, now prepaid only, and they've cut network investments to nothing. Sprint seems to be trying to position them to buy up the assets in a fire sale. I've used them in other cities. If no one is on the tower, it's great. When a few people in the same area are on the tower, it sucks bigtime.

PS... I live in a Comporium Fiber To The Home neighborhood behind Nations Ford High.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 PM

205 posts, read 647,635 times
Quote:
Be careful, unless that is a promo price, it is probably DSL "Lite" which according to what I have heard has dissapointing speeds.

Quote:
Comporium offers this option as well.

Quote:
From what many of us know, you have to have Comporium for DSL, or go wireless internet, or live in the parts of the county where you can try Time Warner.

And I thought "D" in DSL meant "dual line" = phone + internet.
DSL= Digital Subscriber Line. Without getting in to too much detail here, on a DSL enabled line or "circuit", the internet service is piped through the extra bandwidth available in the trunk. It has nothing to do with whether voice service is active or not. For a long time, DSL was simply offered as an add-on service to voice lines. Now that voice lines have fallen lower in demand, providers offer a seperate service offering for Internet only.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM

It is DSL Lite and the speed actually isn't bad at all. We've had it for several years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
Be careful, unless that is a promo price, it is probably DSL "Lite" which according to what I have heard has dissapointing speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties