Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM

205 posts, read 647,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
It is DSL Lite and the speed actually isn't bad at all. We've had it for several years now.
I am glad it is meeting your needs. I have heard complaints from friends about it previously and those who were complaining ended up upgrading to the next package up and that solved their problems. I guess it really all depends on what you use the internet for.

According to their site, DSL Lite is 768k Down/128k Up (MAX PEAK). I am certain that would not work for my needs.

It is a good thing we can choose what fits best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM

30 posts, read 56,968 times
Howard555, Comporium offers a 768x128kbps option. It's called "Basic Broadband". It costs $29.95/month.

If you're going to by that and cable however, it's cheaper to buy the "Double Play Bundle" which is "Basic Plus Cable TV" plus "Package 1" (10mbps) internet for $79.99 on a 2 year term.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpanyion View Post
Howard555, Comporium offers a 768x128kbps option. It's called "Basic Broadband". It costs $29.95/month.

If you're going to by that and cable however, it's cheaper to buy the "Double Play Bundle" which is "Basic Plus Cable TV" plus "Package 1" (10mbps) internet for $79.99 on a 2 year term.
I have had High Speed #1 for so long, several years (download up to 10Mbps x upload up to 512Kbps) I doubt I would like the 768Kbps download speed.

768Kbps is 0.768Mbps (I think).
So, if and when I get download speeds as high as 10Mbps, that is over 12 times faster, and will be very noticeable.

I'm having enough issues with the signal, or the connection slowing down, with the High Speed package #1.
I use some software for 8 hours a day and it, almost daily, will just grind to a halt. Many times I have to log off and log back into the program.

Their High Speed #1 had so many issues, I doubt 1/10th the download speed will be better.

Right now I'm getting the white-blue-purple stations you see on the image (click on it) for $39.95. It was a 24 month special and runs out around August, 2012.

It looks like the price of Basic and Basic Plus will be $49.60.
So, my cost will go up and I'll lose all the purple channels.

My total cost for internet and cable will go up to just over $100.00.
I watch a small few, less than 5 of the purple channels, and one of them is the 4th PBS station. There is a channel for horseracing but I do not see it on the list, not being horse racing season.
Attached Thumbnails
DSL service providers for Fort Mill-untitled111.jpg  

Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I'm having enough issues with the signal, or the connection slowing down, with the High Speed package #1.
I use some software for 8 hours a day and it, almost daily, will just grind to a halt. Many times I have to log off and log back into the program.
Do you have it via cable modem or via DSL modem? (I.e. coax cable or telephone cable) There are big differences between their various service platforms but all of them should be reasonably stable unless there's a line problem at your house or w/in your immediate area.

What software is it that's grinding to a halt? Have you tried to run a speed test on another computer connected to the same connection during the time when your software grinds to a halt to make sure it's not the software that's causing the problem?

Last edited by dpanyion; 11-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Punctuation.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 749 times
Default Comporium Monopoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Just curious why everyone always bags on Comporium. I mean, when I was growing up there was only one telephone company in my town. I guess that was a monopoly. I know I only have one choice for water where I live and I only have one choice for electric and I only have one choice for natural gas - so are those suppliers of my utilities "monopolies", too? I mean Comporium's been getting tagged a "monopoly" for so long that people just say it automatically. I mean you can get wireless service with Comporium, but you can get it with Verizon and Sprint, too. For TV you can go with satellite like DirectTV. If they're the only game in town for internet, well - lucky for them. They were here first. They employ a lot of locals, supporting families. Who knows what the future holds with the way technology changes anyway. I just think it's odd they got crowned a "monopoly" in the utility sector. Just my .02. Personally, I'm very happy with them and have never had issues.
Because they are severely over loaded and are showing signs that they cannot handle the volume. The services are reflecting this. You may be getting great service but there are those who are not. And because there is a monopoly the consumer has no choice but to complain because they can't go elsewhere to receive the service they are paying for. Just like the ones who are getting good service, they all should be getting the same quality. Or at least have the option to receive the same quality elsewhere.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmbt View Post
Because they are severely over loaded and are showing signs that they cannot handle the volume. The services are reflecting this. You may be getting great service but there are those who are not. And because there is a monopoly the consumer has no choice but to complain because they can't go elsewhere to receive the service they are paying for. Just like the ones who are getting good service, they all should be getting the same quality. Or at least have the option to receive the same quality elsewhere.
Comporium runs 5 different networks:
- Old Rock Hill Telephone DSL network over copper POTS
- Old Rock Hill Telephone Cable network over COAX
- Comporium Fiber to the Home network over fiber
- Comporium Metro Fiber (dedicated business service) over fiber
- Comporium Backhaul Fiber (serving the above 4 and other telephone companies in the area like Verizon and Sprint)

The top 3 are the different ones a given consumer can be on. And the service experience will vary depending on which one of those you're on and how long ago that particular segment was installed.

DSL is what it is and Comporium has said it does not plan to further upgrade that network beyond ADSL2.

Most of the people I hear complaining are people who are on the Cable network and still using a DOCSIS 2.X cable modem. The switch to DOCSIS 3.0 cleaned up a lot of the issues people were having in Fort Mill and Rock Hill. Dunno if it had any effect on Indian Land since I don't know many people there. There are however still old segments of coax in every area which can be problematic.

Comporium has been working to upgrade the entire service area from a 600Mhz coax plant to an 800Mhz coax plant. And then they'll go to 1Ghz. 1Ghz is required for full utilization of the bandwidth DOCSIS 3.1 can provide.

It's a pretty arduous process because back in the RH Telephone days, the goal was to cover as much of the York County population as possible, as inexpensively as possible. So the engineering from back then didn't take into account the density of population the previously rural areas of York County would end up with over the next 20 years. That translated into huge nodes and long, underamplified runs of coax backbone.

Comporium is a different company today than Rock Hill Telephone was back then. Comporium is slowly but surely replacing the old coax and connections out in the field to support smaller nodes and get rid of the old, unreliable coax. As they're doing it with their cash flow, instead of taking out a huge load of debt, it's not something that will happen in every area simultaneously. I know from the techs doing the work that they prioritize the areas where the most complaints are coming from.

Speaking of complaint tracking... Last year Comporium switched to a new technician dispatch and issue tracking system. Before, maintenance was done based on what people could remember and paper maps. Now issues are being tracked electronically.

As such, if you have issues, you need to be sure to call in - and keep calling in. And make sure your neighbors are calling in! That's the only way you're going to show up on the maintenance hot list.

Don't be afraid to escalate the issue if techs have been out to fix the same issue multiple times. All you have to do is ask "How can we escalate this issue to the Engineering department?" on the phone. There is 1 person ultimately responsible in each geographic area for field maintenance and the phone support folks know how to get a message to that person.

Unlike with Time Warner, all of these people - techs, engineers, support, etc. - live right here in the area. So treat them like neighbors and you'll get MUCH better results. If you're a butthole to them on the phone, they're going to treat you like the neighbor no one answers the door for. Some of the most ardent complainers online suffer from anus erectus syndrome (they're uptight a$$holes). I'm always neighborly to all the Comporium employees I interact with and I've never had an issue that wasn't promptly resolved.

Now to the 3rd network... fiber to the home. This network is the one you basically never hear anyone complain about - unless someone digs through their fiber or a piece of hardware dies in the neighborhood terminal. [My neighborhood terminal, that refrigerator sized lawn box somewhere in the neighborhood, had a card burn out in it... twice. I think it was a York Electric power issue.] The fiber to the home network is basically rock solid aside from the occasional hardware failure.

I've had ZipStream here in my fiber to the home neighborhood for a year and 2 months. It's only been down hard once in that time - see aforementioned card burnout comment. We had one issue 6 months ago where a kid in the neighborhood was being DDOSed by 10Gbps of traffic - which completely filled the 10Gbps backbone coming into the neighborhood - after he made an butt of himself in some XBox game. Before ZipStream, I had 100Mbps Elite for 4 years with a similar number of issues - basically none other than planned maintenance.

Fiber to the home is what is getting installed to pretty much every new development. Comporium hasn't announced a rip-and-replace of all the existing COAX network but I'd say it's inevitable at some point. It doesn't make financial sense for them to keep running 3 different consumer networks forever. I suspect the first network to go will be the DSL network - since there's fewer people on it. Those folks will get moved over to a mix of COAX and fiber. Might be another 20 years before the COAX network starts getting replaced with fiber but I know it will happen during my lifetime.

For now, if you're on the COAX network and are having problems, remember... be neighborly and persistent. Escalate as needed - i.e. every 2 trouble calls for the same thing w/in a 3 month period.

As for people bitching and moaning about Comporium... it's what people do! People do the same thing about Time Warner and AT&T. If you go by the Public Utility Commission stats, Comporium has way fewer complaints on a per customer basis than either Time Warner or AT&T (an order of magnitude less in fact!). So I suspect what you're seeing is the echo chamber effect. It just looks like people complain all the time when in reality it's really just a superminority of Comporium customers who vocally complain all the time.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpanyion View Post
Now to the 3rd network... fiber to the home. .... The fiber to the home network is basically rock solid aside from the occasional hardware failure.

I've had ZipStream here in my fiber to the home neighborhood for a year and 2 months.
Thanks for your very detailed report. Would you mind sharing where the "fiber to home" is available? I was mostly looking at 55+ communities, but I would love to have a fiber connection available.

I see from this article, they planned to expand to Sun City Carolina Lakes by the summer of 2015: http://zipstreambroadband.com/zipstreamtorh-pr.php

Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 AM

27 posts, read 46,122 times
Thanks for the information. Just tryng to set up service for the move. I am used to pretty spectacular service, with virtually never down time...I am spoiled!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
We have cable modem and fiber is not an option and neither is Google's service. One of these days Amazon and Apple and others will offer free TV.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 13,257 times
ZipStream is very nice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties